Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting multiple old systems to one tv

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mr Schickadance's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Connecting multiple old systems to one tv

Looking for some suggestions on what you guys do when connecting a bunch of old systems to one tv. I have about 6 systems I want to connect but clearly not enough inputs on my tv. I know about switches and all but cannot find one with enough inputs, usually the max I find is four. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Most TVs will have at least 2 RCA ins (Yellow/White/Red) - use two switches and toggle the TV.

RF switches just chain together one into the next.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

If you can find it cheap (good luck on that), I'd suggest a Pelican System Selector Pro, which can route 8 systems in composite, S-Video, and/or Component.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here's a diagram of how mine is set up. I use a combination of 4-way and 5-way boxes, and I use three inputs on my TV: s-video, composite, and RF. Right now, I have 25 systems hooked up at once.

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/g..._itemId=343069

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There are plenty of selectors available with more inputs, or you could simply daisy chain a few.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, just get a couple AV selectors and have one AV selector per TV input. Most selectors have 4 or 5. Just get two and put one on Video 1, and one on Video 2. You could use a VCR if your TV only has one set of inputs.

Be sure to research the brand though. I had a Gamestop brand system selector which only lasted me a couple of weeks. I agree with Garrett on the Pelican System Selector Pro.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Schickadance View Post
    Looking for some suggestions on what you guys do when connecting a bunch of old systems to one tv. I have about 6 systems I want to connect but clearly not enough inputs on my tv. I know about switches and all but cannot find one with enough inputs, usually the max I find is four. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Thanks.
    Just 6? Your problems are few, young grasshopper.

Personally, in the past, I've just displayed them not connected to the TV or power, and plugged them in as I used them. Much easier that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Personally, in the past, I've just displayed them not connected to the TV or power, and plugged them in as I used them. Much easier that way.
    Wait, you think it's easier to have to hook them up each time you use them, rather than having them ready to go?

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a single three way coaxial switch that controls 7 systems. Just hook up the ones with automatic RF switches (such as NES) first, and then daisy chain the RF switches. Then when it comes to Atari 2600s and the like, hook those up last.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just buy a multi video game connector at Best Buy. It's simple to hook up.

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

The one good thing about RF switches: You can daisy chain them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The most I have is 5 hooked up to a TV and I have to go back and switch the composite cables every time I want to play another system. The TV only has enough inputs for one system at a time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

I agree with one at a time cause I can only play one at a time!

also you don't need all the hook ups laying there, many systems can share cords like power for ps1 also works on Dreamcast, PS2, Saturn model 2! saturn model one and xbox share the same power cord, genesis 1 and sega cd share one, genesis 2 and 32x share one too (genesis model 1 and 32x= genesis model 2 and sega cd) with just 2 connectors

on the video side mod all your machines to RCA output buds and you have just one cable to play them all, all the machines have a mod to do that or like Snes, N64 and GC share video cables, ps1 ps2 and ps3 share video cables, rf for nes, master system, turbo grafx!

also remember that machines plugged in use power not as much as if they are turned on but still use some, go green on your wallet and environment, and static charge can kill your systems depending on your tv!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use to have all my systems hooked up to my Pelecan system selector pro but now I only use it to hook up three systems at a time. And I keep my hd systems(xbox and xbox 360) directly plugged into my tv via component and hdmi cables. But since you are using an older tv I suppose that last option is out of the question. So just try to find a system selector that has 6-8 system compatibility. They are out there and ebay can make the search go much faster.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mastamuzz View Post
    I agree with one at a time cause I can only play one at a time!
    You still have to hook them up each time you play though.

also remember that machines plugged in use power not as much as if they are turned on but still use some, go green on your wallet and environment, and static charge can kill your systems depending on your tv!
    Just turn off or unplug the power strips.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all about switch boxes... RF is simple, just daisy-chain them as skaar said. They are somewhat auto switching. Just don't have two systems on at once or you're not going to enjoy the output you get.

Composite/S-vid switch boxes are literally everywhere. Component boxes are not that much harder to find, any electronics store or major retail chain that deals in electronics should have them. The biggest factor is whether to get auto-switch boxes or manual (push-button or toggle). Manual units are cheaper and I usually go for them since you have to get up to grab a new game or change systems anyway... I don't really get paying 3-4 times more for an auto-switcher to not have to push a button, when what I'm using them for are video games where the whole idea is pushing buttons. *shrug*

With manual switch boxes in the past, I have used multiple units together. By chaining switch boxes or having a dedicated switcher to toggle between 2-4 (chaining four gets cumbersome) other switchers, you can increase the amount of inputs you have running to a single point of inputs on your set.

Chaining switchers: (best between 2-3 total switchers)
    The first switcher is going to have one less input because that is going to be used by the second box. For systems connected to the second box, you have to select the input number of the connection to the second box on the first. two four-switch boxes will give you 7 inputs, 3 will net you 10, 4 of them will get you thirteen. Series: 4,7,10,13

Dedicated switch box switcher:
    This is somewhat easier if you have manual boxes (IMO anyway). The first switch box is only to select which switch box you want to be getting your input from. If you are running 4 input switchers, then you can go 5 units and have four switchers connected to the first and your systems connected to the four after it. Gives you 16 inputs to a single input set on your TV and any system is selectable by two button pushes/selections. You can do this with 4 four-switch units and have an open input on the switch switching box for whatever. Grants 13 inputs including the open one on the switching switch box.

Scart boxes are usually auto-switching from what I've seen. Not too many people in the states have to or would need to consider scart switching though. I'm debating whether or not to get a large brick (5+ inputs) scart switcher myself. Audio and video is all run through a single socket connection. Would be just a pop out, pop in procedure to switch systems.

Also, you might want to flowchart your connections before you start buying stuff. It can be a great help. Trust me, I wish I had.
    I sure did type switch a lot...
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-14-2010 at 12:27 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    You still have to hook them up each time you play though.
    How lazy can we become that is difficult even to hook up a system? it only takes a minute!

Just turn off or unplug the power strips.
    That means that you are unplugging the brick anyway so you have to plug it in the next time you play!
    Last edited by mastamuzz; 04-14-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: quotes misplaced

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mastamuzz View Post
    How lazy can we become that is difficult even to hook up a system? it only takes a minute!
    I don't think we're talking about laziness. Unplugging up to 6 or 8 sets of composite cables as well as each system's power cable can become quite the "rat's nest" behind your TV after a while. Also, depending on how your television/entertainment center is situated, you may not have the luxury of being able to reach behind it easily in order to swap out video/power cables. While some TVs have video inputs on the front of the unit, a great many do not, and in that case, plugging and unplugging could be quite frustrating.

That means that you are unplugging the brick anyway so you have to plug it in the next time you play!
    Having a power strip or two would enable you to simply flip a switch to turn off the power to all of the adapters at once. No plugging or unplugging of the bricks required.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

One thing I noticed about daisy chaining RF switches though is that the farther out you get from the TV or VCR's coax input, the more static you are likely to see on a system. I find the best solution to this is to plug in just one of those coax to RCA converters to the back of the VCR and use a generic RCA cord and plug it into each system as needed. The only systems that use strange RF connectors, such as Genesis 2 & 3 have AV cables anyway so it becomes a non-issue.

The downside is that if you have cable you have to unhook the RF converter every time you switch back to cable, unless you buy one of those splitters. With a splitter, you're set and can even hook up multiple RCA-coax converters.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Wait, you think it's easier to have to hook them up each time you use them, rather than having them ready to go?
    I don't think it's easier, I KNOW it is easier!

Grab the system you want, grab the correctly labels AV and power hook-ups (labeling is a good thing!), hook it up and play. Only 30 seconds. It's easy. Just make sure you have easy access to composite and RF connections, as well as a power bar (NEEDED if you have the Sega 16/CD/32 Voltron System).

The alternative involves spending time drawing up plans on how to hook everything up, spending money and time going shopping for switches to hook everything up to, and having a huge amount of cords and power bricks to deal with. Plus, if you have dogs, cats or kids, having many cords around is NOT a good thing; it's a disaster waiting to happen. It is much, Much, MUCH easier to have everything labeled in drawers and ready to get hooked up than having to worry about kids and pets making a mess of things.
    Last edited by Breetai; 04-17-2010 at 10:19 PM.