Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Version of Half-Life

Insert Coin (Level 0) Johnny_Boy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mods non-withstanding, best version is Half-Life Source for PC with "High Definition Source" HD Texture Pack. It's really quite nice and crisp.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Go with the PC, load times on DC are horrendous, haven't tried the PS2 version.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned Black Mesa, which is probably going to provide the definitive HL1 experience - provided you have faith that it is actually going to be released Real Soon Now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_M...8video_game%29
    Yeah um, no. :\

I really doubt that game will ever come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Can't you see what I'm quoting? I'm not talking about your last post; I'm talking about the one before that - the one people reading this topic from the start are going to see first - where you mention the PC straight off but only as being inferior for lacking a bullet point (Decay) in comparison to the PS2 port.

Yes, it's totally clear that you think the Steam version is the best! The topic title asks for the best version, and I really do think that missing out on the mods makes the other versions not worth considering if they have to be the only version played - especially since with a TV tuner and a joystick one can play it on a television anyway.

In any case, it's good of you to mention Steam as the best version; you should have put it first. I also put up a number of other useful bits of information so I don't see where you come off with your panties in a bunch.
    He specifically says in his initial post that he is already aware that the PC version is superior and asks "I was just wondering out of the Dreamcast and PS2 versions of Half-Life, which is better?" So my post was in response to that question and I was just comparing and contrasting the two console ports of this game.

And then at the end of my very first post, I stated the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    In all honestly though, if you want the superior experience and really want to play through the Half-Life saga, spend the $10 or so that Half-Life 1, Blue Shift, and Opposing Forces (Which isn't available on consoles) costs on Steam and play through it there. It's an amazing game and my favorite first person shooter, and both expansions are also excellent and worth playing through before moving on to Half-Life 2 and it's various episodes.

And any PC that virtually anyone is using for day to day use in 2010 can pretty much easily run it maxed out. And if you're a Mac user, I hear the entire Half-Life series will be coming to Mac users pretty soon as well.
    Sorry for any confusion that may have happened, I just really felt like I had been pretty clear about my points. And I'm sorry if I seemed a little cranky, I was just surprised it came up was all. I'm actually in full agreement with every point you made about the PC version and any annoyance that may of came out of my post was just due to a poor choice of words for the second sentence of that reply I made to you and wasn't an accurate reflection of how I felt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but the "remake" of Decay seems to be straight ports of the maps, as opposed to being reinvented. It's not the most amazing-looking mod I've ever seen but there are some good moments in there. Works fine on a PC, and the porting crew added some bonuses like some kind of online tracking.
    I'm not sure if there are any original areas either, only played through it once a few years ago and I'm not a huge expert in the series (having only played each thing through a couple of times over the years). So I don't know every area by heart and wouldn't be able to give a definitive answer on it. But Decay is definitely weaker then the other Half-Life 1 expansions for the storyline aspect and action. But even in Blue Shift and Opposing Forces, much of the game as you already know is a remake taking place in the same areas of the initial game but from the viewpoint of a different character during the events that occurred. It's worth playing through after experiencing everything else (Plus the Half-Life Uplink demo is also worth a download for the unique areas and story in it).

If nothing else, the OP should spend the handful of dollars on Steam for Half-Life 1. I suspect he'll be addicted and get the expansions then, and if he's anything like I am, seek out the console ports later for excuses to play through the games again and for curiosities sake to see how well a great game transferred to consoles.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-24-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) somesortofrobot's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BongotheBear
    PSN
    KingMungo

Half Life on PS2 has an option for keyboard/mouse control.

That automatically puts it in the top 10 PC-to-console ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't there an xbox version as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I recently burned through the Orange Box Half-Life games, and this thread reminds me I need to pick up the PS2 Half-Life.

When you play the series, let me know how you like the final battle of Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Freaking hard, at least for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DisastrophE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright guys thanks a lot for the input. I am going to be on the lookout for the PS2 version. But if I can't find it in a relatively short time I am going to look into the steam route because I would like to play the expansions too.
    [url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/DisastrophE88]
    [img]http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/blueice/DisastrophE88.jpg[/img]
    [/url]

[url=http://www.lusogamer.com/gamercards/psn][img]http://www.lusogamer.com/playstation-network/killzone_3_2/gamercard_default/DisastrophE88.png[/img][/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Isn't there an xbox version as well?
    Pretty sure xbox only had half-life 2 on it.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without a doubt go the PC version, Half-life Source is just a prettier version and In my opinion you're better off getting the original and the expansions, Opposing forces is an awesome addon.

Also while the PS3 port is impressive the low amount of ram the console has makes sure the game has to load more often, resulting in a somewhat frustrating experience compared to the PC.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Yeah um, no. :\

I really doubt that game will ever come out.
    Why?
    It was supposed to get released late last year but got delayed.
    That's hardly unusual for a fan game project, and having seen what's already been done, I can't imagine it will be abandoned.