Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

Exclamation Odd SNES Controller Problem

OK, here's the thing.

I press Y, I get select + Y.
    I press B, I get select + Y + B.
    I hold Y and press B, I get normal operation.

All other buttons work correctly. Select itself works correctly.

This is an original console, I've tried with 3 different controllers, all with the same problem. I understand the controllers operate on some kind of data latch/clock cycle. I also noticed that in the clock cycle, the first three states that are checked are respectively B Y Select.

Long story short, in the system somewhere, B is latching Y and select, y is latching select.

I've briefly checked the underside of the motherboard with no obvious results. Next thing I'll try is finding my multimeter and doing some continuity testing. I may be wasting my time, but I don't know what else to do.

Any ideas? Or get a different system?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rimsky82 View Post
    OK, here's the thing.

I press Y, I get select + Y.
    I press B, I get select + Y + B.
    I hold Y and press B, I get normal operation.

All other buttons work correctly. Select itself works correctly.

This is an original console, I've tried with 3 different controllers, all with the same problem. I understand the controllers operate on some kind of data latch/clock cycle. I also noticed that in the clock cycle, the first three states that are checked are respectively B Y Select.

Long story short, in the system somewhere, B is latching Y and select, y is latching select.

I've briefly checked the underside of the motherboard with no obvious results. Next thing I'll try is finding my multimeter and doing some continuity testing. I may be wasting my time, but I don't know what else to do.

Any ideas? Or get a different system?

Thanks.
    Yeah that is a bit odd. A multi-meter may be your friend here. First thing I would check are the controller connector solder joints. Maybe something is shorted together or there is a solder joint that's not making a good connection.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

what game where you playing when this was happing because I had it happen to me when playing super mario all stars, if thats the case just use controller port 2 and everything will work fine and if not then I wouldn't know what the problem is.
    Last edited by SithWarrior; 05-11-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

Quote Originally Posted by SithWarrior View Post
    what game where you playing when this was happing because I had it happen to me when playing super mario all star, if thats the case just use controller port 2 and everything will work fine and if not then I wouldn't know what the problem is.
    To be honest, I believe it was just Super Mario World. I didn't think to test another game since It didn't make sense to be a rom problem, but I definitely will in the morning and report back to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Yeah that is a bit odd. A multi-meter may be your friend here. First thing I would check are the controller connector solder joints. Maybe something is shorted together or there is a solder joint that's not making a good connection.
    I checked the ribbon cable, and the solder joints of both ribbon cable connectors for continuity with ok results. I also gently ran a blade around a few of the joints/components to be safe. I also checked the vcc of the controller, it was normal at 4.96v. I saw some frequency going on with the data wires of the controller, but I wasn't sure what else I could do with those with a multimeter.

I would like to figure out the problem, but in the meantime since this is my only snes system, I ordered a replacement motherboard and controller ports to try to isolate the problem, and also give me a good working system when I feel like playing .

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let us know what you find out so that everyone can use that for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by rimsky82 View Post
    To be honest, I believe it was just Super Mario World. I didn't think to test another game since It didn't make sense to be a rom problem, but I definitely will in the morning and report back to the thread.

I checked the ribbon cable, and the solder joints of both ribbon cable connectors for continuity with ok results. I also gently ran a blade around a few of the joints/components to be safe. I also checked the vcc of the controller, it was normal at 4.96v. I saw some frequency going on with the data wires of the controller, but I wasn't sure what else I could do with those with a multimeter.

I would like to figure out the problem, but in the meantime since this is my only snes system, I ordered a replacement motherboard and controller ports to try to isolate the problem, and also give me a good working system when I feel like playing .

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

I just tested with Zelda with the same result. It makes Zelda unplayable since the select button brings up the continue/save screen.

Once I get my new motherboard/controller ports in the next few days, I'll have more to experiment with to isolate this annoying problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

Well, all I can tell you is that the problem is somewhere in the motherboard. Without extensive time and testing, I can't tell you where. I may try to find it in the future, because I may decide to do a case mod with my now extra motherboard and controller ports. If I do find it, I will report to this thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

Sorry for bumping a old topic but as I mention up top that I can only play Super Mario all stars with controller port two not one and just recently I picked up NBA jam for the snes and I have the same problems but when I play Super Star Wars I don't get this problem so its just games that are more then one player can play, the console has been dropped(not by me but from the good will place I got it from) but everything else works fine, could it be the controller ports or the system its self?.
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...