Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ps1 on hdtv

Insert Coin (Level 0) ambriglia's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ps1 on hdtv

I have searched the forum for about an hour now, and i have found some helpful information, although i have not found out what i am specifically looking for...

will a ps1 play flawlessly on my samsung 40in hdtv 720p/1080i 120hz?
    Game on.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You won't find the answer, because it's "maybe". There are too many variables involved.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On my brothers 50 inch Sony HDTV the Ps1 looks terrible. The character models in Parasite Eve look like blocky messes.

Much to my suprise however the PS1 looks really nice on my 23 inch Samsung.

I guess if you stick to smaller displays you will be fine. But this is just my personal experience.

I have a Saturn, Genesis, Master System hooked up through a rf converter because my display only has component and hdmi and they all look fantastic on my display.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

ps1 doesnt look great on a big screen.

i played gt 2 and c&c games on my ps3, it still looked like shit.

i say go buy a 30 or lower inch tv for playing ps1
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of this one. Some people love it, some people hate it. On the plus side, lag is less obvious in PS1 games than it is in old 8-bit games like Super Mario Bros. because there is more to draw your attention from it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

stay with a old school tv...it looks better on them than on any new tv...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of this one. Some people love it, some people hate it. On the plus side, lag is less obvious in PS1 games than it is in old 8-bit games like Super Mario Bros. because there is more to draw your attention from it.
    QFT. It is probably going to depend on what you notice. If you are one of those people who notice every single detail on your TV, you may not like how it plays. If you really don't care and just prefer the games, it may not be that big of a deal.

I'd assume if it has a lot of problems, you will notice right away. I mean can't you just test it out and see how it looks? I don't think you will do much damage to either piece of equipment.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    QFT. It is probably going to depend on what you notice. If you are one of those people who notice every single detail on your TV, you may not like how it plays. If you really don't care and just prefer the games, it may not be that big of a deal.

I'd assume if it has a lot of problems, you will notice right away. I mean can't you just test it out and see how it looks? I don't think you will do much damage to either piece of equipment.
    not sure if this is true, but i have heard with older systems, and this might not include a ps1, the colors used to be much brighter so it would burn an image in the tv? again, not sure how valid that statement is...
    Game on.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ambriglia View Post
    I have searched the forum for about an hour now, and i have found some helpful information, although i have not found out what i am specifically looking for...

will a ps1 play flawlessly on my samsung 40in hdtv 720p/1080i 120hz?
    The PS1 outputs RGB at highest which is an amazing signal for older gaming systems. Resolutions range from from 256x224 to 640x480.

If you want the best picture out of the PS1 get a RGB scart cable for it. Good thing I seen most of the PS1 scart cables have audio break outs from them because scart carries audio too. From there you will have to get a scart to component adapter to translate RGB to modern tv component signals.

Second option, you could get a scart to hdmi adapter. Only problem is,the upscalling would be horrible on the native resolution of PS1 games. The audio break out wouldn't be needed cause hdmi carries audio as well.

Essentially the first option is the best for modern TV's. The second option can be done,but remember,not only is it turning an analog signal into a digital one,but the upscalling is hurting the picture quality tremendously.

At highest most games should play in 480p using component. Your TV may be nice and upscale some of the 640x480 games to 720p but not likely. Oh and I wouldn't count on 120hz unless your TV forces it,60hz would be native.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    The PS1 outputs RGB at highest which is an amazing signal for older gaming systems. Resolutions range from from 256x224 to 640x480.

If you want the best picture out of the PS1 get a RGB scart cable for it. Good thing I seen most of the PS1 scart cables have audio break outs from them because scart carries audio too. From there you will have to get a scart to component adapter to translate RGB to modern tv component signals.

Second option, you could get a scart to hdmi adapter. Only problem is,the upscalling would be horrible on the native resolution of PS1 games. The audio break out wouldn't be needed cause hdmi carries audio as well.

Essentially the first option is the best for modern TV's. The second option can be done,but remember,not only is it turning an analog signal into a digital one,but the upscalling is hurting the picture quality tremendously.

At highest most games should play in 480p using component. Your TV may be nice and upscale some of the 640x480 games to 720p but not likely. Oh and I wouldn't count on 120hz unless your TV forces it,60hz would be native.
    Any HDTV is going to be upscaling whatever signal the PSOne is sending it to the television's native resolution regardless of the connection method. So upscaling will also be going on through your first option. It isn't going to be just happening through your second option like you seem to think.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-20-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you own a PS3 force the system to scale down to 480p instead of the higher resolution. Problem solved? I haven't tried this so don't know. A lot of PS2 games look amazing upscaled to 1080p though. Out of the ones I've played on my HDTV, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 looks the best. Looks much better than some PS360 games to be honest.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-20-2010 at 02:30 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Any HDTV is going to be upscaling whatever signal the PSOne is sending it to the television's native resolution regardless of the connection method. So upscaling will also be going on through your first option. It isn't going to be just happening through your second option like you seem to think.
    Yes,the first option will be upscaled to 480i by the TV. If the TV can't show 480 it will upscale it to 720i. The component signal will remain mostly untouched and processed by the TV's internal upscaling processor only, which is the best option. Besides there is no TV I know that wont show 480i.

The second option by converting a analog signal to hdmi a digital signal using a separate upscaling processor then the TV's upscaling processor the colors,luminance and chroma will be softened and won't retain their sharpness that the RGB signal originally provides.

Then again it depends on preference, maybe you want your PS1 games to be softened abit so they wont look so pixelated. But for best possible signal,component is the best you can get out of a PS1 being that component is the closest to RGB that you can get and both are analog signals.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If you own a PS3 force the system to scale down to 480p instead of the higher resolution. Problem solved? I haven't tried this so don't know. A lot of PS2 games look amazing upscaled to 1080p though. Out of the ones I've played on my HDTV, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 looks the best. Looks much better than some PS360 games to be honest.
    The PS3 is the best option if you don't wanna invest in a converter and special cable due to the fact it is of this generation and has HDMI natively. And yes it keeps the signal at 480 and lets the TV decide if it should be upscaled.
    Last edited by alec006; 05-20-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes,the first option will be upscaled to 480i by the TV. If the TV can't show 480 it will upscale it to 720i. The component signal will remain mostly untouched and processed by the TV's internal upscaling processor only, which is the best option. Besides there is no TV I know that wont show 480i.
    The only television that will show 480i is a standard definition set or an extended definition set. Any HDTV is going to be upscaling to the television's native HD resolution any signal being sent to it besides that resolution. That's how HDTV's work. Something such as a LCD HDTV can only display a single resolution and anything else being sent to it other then it's native resolution has to be ran through the television's internal scaler to be scaled to that resolution. They physically cannot display 480i so any 480i signal has to be at least upscaled by the television (And deinterlaced unless it's a native 1080i set).

There is no such thing as 720i.

The second option by converting a analog signal to hdmi a digital signal using a separate upscaling processor then the TV's upscaling processor the colors,luminance and chroma will be softened and won't retain their sharpness that the RGB signal originally provides.

Then again it depends on preference, maybe you want your PS1 games to be softened abit so they wont look so pixelated. But for best possible signal,component is the best you can get out of a PS1 being that component is the closest to RGB that you can get and both are analog signals.

The PS3 is the best option if you don't wanna invest in a converter and special cable due to the fact it is of this generation and has HDMI natively. And yes it keeps the signal at 480 and lets the TV decide if it should be upscaled.
    Again, no matter if it's the PS3 doing it through software, running it through an external scaler, or having the television's internal scaling chip do it, upscaling will have to go on to play PSOne titles on a HDTV. It's going to have to be upscaled to whatever the set's native resolution is (720p, 1080i, or 1080p).

That's been my entire point. There's no way to avoid having it be upscaled since that's the only way any HDTV is going to be able to display it. Even CRT HDTV's have a native resolution with everything besides that native resolution being fed to the television having to be scaled. Portraying one method as any different in this regard is false.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-20-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But a good upscaler can be better than the one built into your TV set.

PS3 is really the best option regardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    But a good upscaler can be better than the one built into your TV set.
    Of course

If I wanted to play a PSOne title on a HDTV, I'm playing it on my PS3 and letting my PS3 do the upscaling. It's going to perform better then most 25 cent scaling chips in HDTV's will. Not to mention you'll get the benefits of a superior connection method (Component or HDMI) since for most PSOne owners, s-video is as good as it is going to get.

I just wanted to point out to anyone that reads this that there isn't anyway to get around having to upscale PSOne titles to your television's native HD resolution if you want to play them on your modern HDTV. It has to happen somewhere.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-20-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do you go about playing ps1 titles on the ps3? I assume you are suggesting to download the ps1 games to the ps3?
    Game on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ambriglia View Post
    How do you go about playing ps1 titles on the ps3? I assume you are suggesting to download the ps1 games to the ps3?
    You either buy them on the PlayStation Marketplace or you insert the original PS1 disc into the drive,the PS3 is backward compatible with the PS1. The PS2 however is unsupported unless you have one of the first models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha! wow! im an idiot!

I honestly had no idea that the ps3 was backwards compatible with the ps1. i assumed it wasnt because my ps3 is not backwards compatible with ps2 games. rediculous...
    Game on.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah the post is 6 days old.
    I Have been messing around with ps1 games to look good through the ps1,2,3, xbox emu, Bleemcast. To be completely honest? The games look better through emulation on a 4 year old laptop that supports openGl/D3D. I've denied myself of this trying to be a purist, Stuff that, Grab a laptop, a sixaxis controller, a vga cable and download epsxe, chances are you won't look back. I mean the few games i've played through this method on an old Compaq N61 look stunning in comparison to console method. I'm playing deception 3 at 1360 x 768 with pete's open gl, It looks amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    There is no such thing as 720i.
    I have PS3 games that insinuate otherwise.