Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest failure of a console

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    Not quite. Adam killed Colecovision, but not Coleco itself. They had Cabbage Patch Kids to fall back on.
    Except they managed to completely botch that, too, apparently. There's a reason parents were fighting over store stock during that one Christmas in the 80s.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...967387,00.html

Does The 10 Worst Video Game Systems of All Time apply here?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the double whammy that was the Bitcorp/UMC Gamate (handheld) and the Super A'can? Both doomed to near obscurity now, 20 years later.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe Microsoft is purposely making 360's fail prone so they make more money from people buying 2nd and 3rd 360's etc? Sort of like how cars from the 50's and 60's were built so well they were almost bulletproof and ran forever, whereas cars nowadays have all sorts of problems and you can't hardly work on them yourselves...

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdman View Post
    Super A'can?
    Yes, I would tend to agree that a 16-bit game console that loses its producer 6.5 million dollars and forces the closure of their software division to be the absolute biggest failure of a console. 'Nuff said.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I haven't seen anyone mention the Vectrex. I know it gets alot of love and it definitely was unique but I would hardly call it a financial success
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say the saturn, its one of my favorite consoles but it killed sega. it had done so much damage to the company that the awesome dreamcast just couldnt help them. some would say the 32x but the 32x didnt have as much potential as the saturn.

i think the problem with the current generation of consoles is that they were all rushed, when will the industry learn to take their time and make a console that will be relevant for decades.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Hmm, how about the Gizmondo. What'd that sell, about 2000 units? :P (I remember seeing a sales number somewhere, but it was ridiculously low, less than 200K I think)

But yeah, awful system. Tiger can put that down with the R-Zone and Game.Com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    when will the industry learn to take their time and make a console that will be relevant for decades.
    Dude, this will never happen. Or at least, not for a very long time, and for conventional meanings of "relevant".
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

I know these are JAP only but how about the SuperGrafx and PC-FX. Two NEC TurboGrafx followups that went nowhere. I remember reading an old interview with the PC-FX creator in one of my EGMs and had to laugh. The guy had very high expectations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ConsoleAddict View Post
    I see. Looks like for 25 years we thought wrong. I thought that the console was ready to market since they sold it in New York and L.A. The Tramiels didn't have the rights to the 7800 until 1986 then?
    Probably '85.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    5200 7800 pc-fx 32x cd-i nuon virtual boy M2 Pippin

I consider all of these worse failures than the Jaguar... And there's probably some more obscure systems Im forgetting about.
    The 5200 (1 million) and the 7800 (3.3 million) probably sold more than the rest of the systems you mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Konix Multisystem (forerunner of the Jaguar)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Phillips CDi for gushing financial losses...
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Amiga CD32 - wasn't the console's fault that Commodore went bust due to some copyright issues, the console only sold a few hundred thousand units I believe and was only sold for about 8 months; so the company behind it was the reason the console failed.

I just got delivered a CD32 and masses of games for it - the CD drive is painfully slow, but the games are very good!!

How about this one - Amstrad GX4000. I have one of these too. System failed as only had a small number of game carts (about 52 I think it was in total) and the large majority of those were charged £25 for a game cart with exactly the same game as their cassette version that cost £3.99. That is why it failed. Many GX4000 consoles were given away as "bum prizes" in gaming console magazines. Actually, it has about half a dozen excellent titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm just selling my CD32 collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just had a talk about this, actually the biggest failure of a console are bad coders and the lack of supportive coders

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The Entex Adventure Vision may be highly revered as the holy grail but there must be a reason why only 50,000 units were sold. The thing is not durable and that there can be a failure. Besides, only 4 games for it which are already available on every other home console of the time? Not very attractive to consumers. Plus it was all red like virtual boy. The only title of the three that doesn't pop up on many systems is Turtles, but Odyssey 2 had it. The fourth one is just Asteroids with a different name.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    i think the problem with the current generation of consoles is that they were all rushed, when will the industry learn to take their time and make a console that will be relevant for decades.
    Well, in the case of the PS3, bad firmware and not a hardware malfunction, will usually be the cause of that console dying. I don't like how all three consoles need these constant updates. These are video game consoles, not PCs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The Entex Adventure Vision may be highly revered as the holy grail but there must be a reason why only 50,000 units were sold. The thing is not durable and that there can be a failure. Besides, only 4 games for it which are already available on every other home console of the time? Not very attractive to consumers. Plus it was all red like virtual boy. The only title of the three that doesn't pop up on many systems is Turtles, but Odyssey 2 had it. The fourth one is just Asteroids with a different name.
    I'm reminded of all these facts every time I'm tempted to drop a small fortune on a working Adventurevision. Saved me from doing something stupid on numerous occasions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The Atari 5200.

There were several problems with it:

1) Atari continued to support the 2600. Unlike the 2600, one never really got the feeling that Atari was behind it.

2) Crummy controllers. But as my own digital controller, and so many others, have shown, this was such an easy thing to overcome- had Atari wanted to.
    They could even have added a plug to allow use of a paddle controller. Again, easy.

3) Including Super Breakout as the pack-in? Yawn.

4) Abandoning it within 18 months.

The 5200 was actually a great system, and had Atari put more effort into it- imagine Pac-Man or even Super Pac-Man as the included game!- a bit more common sense (DIGITAL controllers, you yahoos!), and had stuck with it by coming out with games like Super Pac-Man, Tempest, Millipede, Pole Position 2, etc., then it would have worked out. Instead of the 7800, they could have just offered better versions of games like Joust and Dig Dug.

It wasn't really the 5200 itself, just what Atari did with it. But isn't that the case with most doomed systems?
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still trying to fathom why people were naming the Dreamcast. At the very least the console has enough fans (and a good enough library) that the financial loss can and should be overlooked.

I cast my vote for Gizmondo as well. If anything it's because of the (crime) drama behind the system. It really is one of the most funny failures in video game history (as opposed to something like the Virtual Boy which is more depressing than it is funny).