Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Biggest failure of a console

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    Personally, I couldn't stand the N64. The polygon style graphics look like vomit.
    Well, if you don't like smooth Pentium II-based N64 polygons, enjoy your jagged-lined, load timing, 39 Mhz, unexpandable 2 MB Playstation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    its faster. ive been typing like this for years. last time i checked im not at work and no longer in school. why cant i relax and just type? id rather keep it uniform lower case than miss a punctuation mark or capital and make it look even worse.
    If you still care enough that you don't want it to look even worse, then clearly it does not matter that you are not at work and no longer in school. Also, if you're not at work and no longer in school and just trying to relax, what are you in such a hurry for?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...ps2 hype killed the dreamcast

neo geo pocket color, huge failure, poor ad campaign, I don't remember seeing any ads for it... I probably did, not a good thing that I can't remember a single one

zodiac tapwave, the common person has never even heard of it, plus the games had a ridiculous system to buying/storing unless you bought the game on an sd card

ngage, poorly executed everything

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Well, if you don't like smooth Pentium II-based N64 polygons, enjoy your jagged-lined, load timing, 39 Mhz, unexpandable 2 MB Playstation.
    my favorite thing about 3d playstation games is how the walls never move and jump around

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    If you still care enough that you don't want it to look even worse, then clearly it does not matter that you are not at work and no longer in school. Also, if you're not at work and no longer in school and just trying to relax, what are you in such a hurry for?
    Haha, no doubt. And how hard is it to capitalize, anyway? I call bullshit.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the Casio Loopy. I'm wondering which was the bigger failure, that or its PV-1000 predecessor. The Loopy was a system targeted for girls but it didn't really take hold in Japan because most girls just weren't interested, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Haha, no doubt. And how hard is it to capitalize, anyway? I call bullshit.
    This, coming from the guy that sometimes makes lengthy posts full of typos, improper capitalization, wrong use of homonyms, and broken sentences. How hard is it to proofread, anyway?

makes someone else's consistent lack of capitalization seem like a minor offense to me. Especially since they admitted they are aware of it.

That being said, what is the point of hassling someone all pedantically on the internets, especially in regards to someones age? ffs. It doesn't further the discussion at all.

*ahem*

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus
    yeah but we got nice FMVs, longer games, more detailed games, and better audio!

Where was the N64's Star Ocean 2?

"PLEASE INSERT CARTRIDGE 2" wouldn't have worked out so good, haha
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    yeah but we got nice FMVs, longer games, more detailed games, and better audio!

Where was the N64's Star Ocean 2?

"PLEASE INSERT CARTRIDGE 2" wouldn't have worked out so good, haha
    Sorry if that sounded snarky, but I grew up with the N64, so I guess favoritism-backlash got off its chain again.

Still, they both seem to have their high points. PSX has its CD-based storage, more room on CD for files, higher quality audio and easier to use memory cards, but N64 was also good because it had higher resolution, the Expansion Pak, its 100 Mhz NEC chip (which is on par with a Pentium II,) more durable game storage in the form of cartridges, and it being ahead of Sony with its built-in thumbstick.

So, IMO, they're both very good and respectable systems.

Now Saturn, on the other hand, that's a different story.

Lack of third-party support, Sega's bad reputation, confusing coding due to the way the CPUs were set up, and its reuse of the same controller as Mega Drive but with shoulder triggers basically sent Sega on a Titanic course, which lead to Dreamcast failing, in part due to the Hype Machine pulling in its usual crowd of idiots with the PS2.

So, yeah, no game system is ever perfect. It's all a matter of opinion.

EDIT: N64 games are actually more visually stunning, it's just because of the filter used in the N64. Flipping this off in Project 64 shows how stunning some of the N64 games can really get.

Also, the PSX and N64 both have problems with rendering- some PSX games have bad pop-up for texturing and 3D modeling, and the N64 occasionally has problems where models can get warped or objects can easily obscure the camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Snarky? lol. wasn't snarky to me!

its all in good fun

I had an N64 growing up, but the severe lack of RPGs made me barely touch the thing.

4 player goldeneye on a 13" TV bitd was tight as fuck though!
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    NGPC?

It never got a real chance to go. It was destroyed by the GBA and its death killed SNK America and brought SNK to its knees in Japan. SNK did come back, but once aquired by Playmore it was never the same.
    I'd argue if anything it's the NGP. If they were able to put out a colour handheld a year later with 40 hours of battery life on 2 AAs, it showed some lack of foresight that they didn't launch one right away. And as has been shown many times, killing a product so shortly after it's launched to replace it with another one isn't a good way to ensure fan support. Had the NGP launched with colour to begin with, the GameBoy Color wouldn't have stolen the thunder and it would have been perceived as Nintendo playing catch up because the NGP was a real threat rather than SNK playing catch up.

The Dreamcast wasn't a Sega Killer, the poor support/cost of a Sega CD, 32X and Saturn that all fell so quickly painted Sega into a corner. The Dreamcast when it launched was already facing the 'Sega is going to screw you over' rumors. Because of that, consumers didn't bite in as big of droves. The PS2 then launched and though many of the DC games looked better than any of the launch PS2 games the buzz behind the PS2 was almost too big to overcome. Sega didn't think they could compete and pulled support of the system (when at least here in America the DC was holding its own at the time, Japan was a different story). The PS2 also got real lucky with the release of GTA 3 and GT3. If those hadn't launched when they did and Sega actually kept pushing and fighting, it might have had a chance. The lack of EA didn't help things, but their biggest titles at the time (Madden, NBA Live, MLB) all had major competition from the then smoking 2K lines.
    I got the impression that while the PS2 took the wind out of Sega's sails, what really killed the Dreamcast off was the Xbox. Sega could have stayed in 3rd place and kept going, but fighting against two behemoths like Sony and Microsoft AND Nintendo who had the handheld market to keep them afloat wasn't going to work. Lack of DVD support didn't help the Dreamcast either. When the PS2 launched people were buying it just because it was a DVD player, and buying a PS3 because it's a BR player. That shouldn't be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    The 360 failure rate has cost MS money, but how much has the 360 earned the company? If they lose 4 billion on repairs/hardware failure but make 20 billion on sales, that isn't an overall lose. I would like to see how much they have really made and loss....including everything from sales to licensing/etc. NO way I beleive MS is in the RED on the 360, if they are, someone is cookin' the books.
    The thing to consider as well is that MS' foray into the console business has brought a lot of games to the PC that weren't there before, strengthening Windows as a gaming platform. There are hardly any Xbox 360 titles that aren't also on Windows, which makes the 360 an undesirable purchase but it's still a win for Microsoft. The unified XNA environment also gives them leverage to go head to head with Apple in the portable market. Windows Phone 7 and Zune HD2 will be getting a good chunk of games from major Xbox 360 developers, meaning stuff like Dead or Alive or Halo on the phone. Overall it's a success, just like how with the PS3 even if it remains in 3rd place for the rest of the generation, since Sony won the format war with BluRay and the PS3 helped Sony win, Sony's going to be making money for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Unless the redesign fixes things. (Crosses fingers)
    Don't give too much hope. It's much worse for scratching discs than the original, so if anything they've made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Good thing about DC was that the gaming library of good titles outweight the not-so-good/bad titles. That's rare with any given console, especially from Japan.
    Interesting that its pair in the handheld front, the NGPC is pretty much the same. The DreamCast and the NGPC seem to be viewed positively by everyone, meaning realistically if Sega and SNK wanted to get back into the hardware business they'd receive some strong fan support. Going out with a good system is better than Atari, which wouldn't get any support if they decided to make another home console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

N64.
    From a company like Nintendo, it just did not work. Every other nintenod system I own gets play once or twice a month, I actually packed up my N64 and forgot about it. The other day I bought some games from goodwill and got it out to play it and decided it is only taking up space.

Yeah I know there were worse systems out there, but I just expected more and feel the N64 was a failure even in Nintendo's eyes. I know the fanboys always come to the rescue any time a Nintendo system is criticized, but it is funny to see only the real zealots defend the N64, the others just keep quite.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other than failed consoles the moment they came out, I think the biggest failue of a console is the Jaguar. I mean, it just sucked and as a swansong for Atari played more like a vuvuzela than a classical piano piece. It totally eradicated what the Atari Lynx achieved for handhelds and instead doomed Atari to have a bad name at the end of its console days. It was a far cry from their utter dominance during the 2600 era, and it was pitiable to see the company die like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    The Jaguar killed Atari's already damaged reputation AND ruined the company once and for all. I would have to say, because of that, the Jaguar is the single biggest company-affecting failure in the industry, ever.
    Well, putting aside that it's not exactly what the OP had in mind, I'm not sure I agree. The Jag, taken on its own, is just a reflection of the poor corporate decisions at Atari at those times. They could have made any aspect of the system out differently but gotten the same result. The thing could've been the freakin' PlayStation and they still would have shat away the guts of the company.

I'll put a vote in for this box sitting next to me, missing its remote - the Memorex VIS. I think that nothing screams "FAIL" like having at most two real games (and, god, golf and The Manhole, which barely counts as a game). It's neat for what it's meant to do but if I had the skill I'd seriously consider making some little game for it just out of pity.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
    Other than failed consoles the moment they came out, I think the biggest failue of a console is the Jaguar. I mean, it just sucked and as a swansong for Atari played more like a vuvuzela than a classical piano piece. It totally eradicated what the Atari Lynx achieved for handhelds and instead doomed Atari to have a bad name at the end of its console days. It was a far cry from their utter dominance during the 2600 era, and it was pitiable to see the company die like that.
    Err, what exactly did the Lynx achieve? I have nostalgic memories playing that BMX game or whatever it was, but nothing compared to Super Mario Land.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    N64.
    From a company like Nintendo, it just did not work. Every other nintenod system I own gets play once or twice a month, I actually packed up my N64 and forgot about it. The other day I bought some games from goodwill and got it out to play it and decided it is only taking up space.

Yeah I know there were worse systems out there, but I just expected more and feel the N64 was a failure even in Nintendo's eyes. I know the fanboys always come to the rescue any time a Nintendo system is criticized, but it is funny to see only the real zealots defend the N64, the others just keep quite.
    The N64 had some very highly rated titles that have some considerable name power and produced Super Smash Bros. While by itself it wasn't that successful, and in contrst to the PSX it was a total failure, Nintendo's still able to milk those titles with the Wii and 3DS.

It also sells for more than a GameCube second hand, so people obviously think it still has value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of 32-64 bit consoles, I'd say Sega's biggest failure has to have been the 32X.
    Don't get me wrong, this system DID have potential, just not as a peripheral. Originally, it was going to be its own console, and would have been if the Neptune hadn't been canceled.
    Still, because they rushed it into production, it had inferior graphics, sound, and architecture to pretty much everything else on the market.
    More than that, the 32X solidified Sega's reputation for abandoning consoles. Hence, the failure of the Saturn, and to a more limited extent, the Dreamcast.
    Not that I don't have anything GOOD to say about the plastic 'shroom. There are a bunch of really good games for it, if you look hard enough.
    Plus, I may be the only one who thinks this, but I think it looks really cool attached to a Genesis model 2 and a model 2 Sega CD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Have upgrades ever really worked?
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Well, putting aside that it's not exactly what the OP had in mind, I'm not sure I agree. The Jag, taken on its own, is just a reflection of the poor corporate decisions at Atari at those times. They could have made any aspect of the system out differently but gotten the same result. The thing could've been the freakin' PlayStation and they still would have shat away the guts of the company.

Is there anyone else here unfortunate enough to actually remember the "cave" infomercial for the Jaguar?

If not, here it is. Prepare to have a brick thrown through the window of your soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJO1SQ3KsE

Apologies in advance.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald View Post
    Is there anyone else here unfortunate enough to actually remember the "cave" infomercial for the Jaguar?

If not, here it is. Prepare to have a brick thrown through the window of your soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJO1SQ3KsE

Apologies in advance.
    Hey look Mortal Kombat 3- oh, wait.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is some good answers in here guys.

I once did consider the original Sega Master System as a failure because it did not do much for Sega like they had hoped, sure it was successful in Europe...

But then I realized, the Master System is still living on in Brazil.
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)