Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The most hated titles that you enjoy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree on 2600 Pac Man and Cybermorph. Both are highly enjoyable games.

I think the thing with 2600 Pac Man is accepting the fact that it nowhere like the arcade version, but still a good game in its own right.

I love the exploration factor of Cybermorph, just flying around to see what can be seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Among others, I think that Bubsy 3D is actually a pretty interesting, fun game. It's hard, flawed, and BADLY needs analog controls, but it's got big levels, lots of fun platforming, etc. I like the mixed textured/shaded look, and while there certainly were a lot of 3d platformers that gen, Bubsy 3D's level design style isn't something you saw too much of. Generally 3d platformers would be more forgiving and not quite as focused on jumping puzzles... but yeah, I think it's kind of good. Oh, and I"m not really a fan of the 2d Bubsy games. I have the second one and don't like it much, and haven't played much of the first one, but it doesn't seem much better.

Also, Carmageddon 64 is a good game. I don't know why it got reviews as exceptionally low as it did -- IGN called it one of the N64's worst games, maybe even its worst, for example -- but... it's not bad at all... it's hard, and it isn't as good as the original Carmageddon for the PC, but it is a good game.

Reading through this thread, as usual for these things I see a bunch of games mentioned that aren't really hated, along with some that are. It is sometimes hard to tell the difference if you love a game and dislike seeing some people criticize it, but seriously, and I know this is replying to very old stuff, but is it really fair to call games that got good reviews and some people like "extremely hated"? I know in some cases fanbases turned on them later -- such as Castlevania for the N64 and its followup Legacy of Darkness, which had an initially good reception followed with a hard turn against them a year or two later that only recently seems to be abating -- but when you look at their reviews, along with the reviews of other games mentioned in this thread as well, they weren't exactly bad. That says that when they were released they weren't really considered to be bad games.

Other times, the reviews still might be okay, of if it's considered bad for the series but you like it, I can see listing it anyway -- like mentions of Mega Man X6 or Sonic 3D Blast, for instance. And on that note, I don't like X6, but do like 3D Blast. Good game, lots of fun. Of other mentions, I see multiple mentions of Bomberman Hero, Keith Courage, and Beyond the Beyond too, and I like all of those games as well. Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game (I have it for Saturn) not THAT bad either. With all of the masses of hate it's received I expected it to be completely terrible, but while it doesn't have the levels of depth of the main-series SF II and beyond titles, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it would be either. It's actually okay, I think. Not great, but okay. (But yes, I'm not a competitive fighting game player, so I've only played it one player.)

On a somewhat related note, a good pick of mine for "got mediocre reviews but I think it's really good" -- which, as I've tried to say above, I think is a definitely a separate category from the "got terrible reviews but I think it's at least kind of good" of the two games I mentioned first in this post -- would be Zombie Revenge for the Dreamcast. That game's great fun, good stuff. Best DC beat 'em up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    For a full immersion in Ridge Racer hatred, go to Sega-16 forums and search for PS1 vs Saturn threads. You will see plenty of hatred spewed by the Saturn fans. I kid you not.
    Any version of Daytona is better than any Ridge Racer game ever, though, so what's wrong with basing Ridge Racer some?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

P.N.03 - I can get behind that... •shake shake shake•

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had fun with all of these:

2600:
    Pac-Man

NES:
    Amagon
    Fester's Quest
    Hydlide
    TMNT
    Zelda II

3D0:
    Ballz: The Director's Cut

PSX:
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Revolution X

Sega CD:
    All the FMV games
    Revengers of Vengeance

SNES:
    Bubsy
    Drakkhen
    Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Jaguar:
    Kasumi Ninja

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    P.N.03 - I can get behind that... •shake shake shake•
    P.N. 03 is a love or hate game, pretty much. Some people hate it, others love it. I'm on the love side too, myself... great game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DABYX View Post
    I recently played 10-Yard Fight for NES and everywhere I look it's hated.

Maybe its coz that a) I'm not American and don't know about American football but I really enjoy it as a simple run and score game.

Granted it gets samey but you can say that about a lot of games...
    I got that game for Christmas the same time I got my NES. Many hours of enjoyment derived from playing it. I still got that clickety click sound in my head that players would make when running.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't know if they're hated, but I always loved Jaws, Breakthru, and the Goonies II on the NES. Trojan was up there for me too.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DABYX View Post
    I recently played 10-Yard Fight for NES and everywhere I look it's hated.

Maybe its coz that a) I'm not American and don't know about American football but I really enjoy it as a simple run and score game.

Granted it gets samey but you can say that about a lot of games...
    10 yard fight is a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Any version of Daytona is better than any Ridge Racer game ever, though, so what's wrong with basing Ridge Racer some?
    hell no daytona has the crappiest control ive always hated how it feels like you are driving on ice not to mention its way too hard to win a race not to mention the fruity ass music not to mention i hate nascar. ridge racer is just cooler in every way, better control WAY better music. Daytona is OK in the arcades with beautiful graphics and competing against 4 players but single player is crap and the saturn version is crap. ridge racer on the playstation is perfect, spot on controls great graphics and music. the game never gets old unless something is wrong with you or you have the mindset of a 15 year old sega fanboy!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    P.N.03
    My second favorite game of all-time. Only Super Metroid tops it.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People that like those slow, awkward, mindless rasslin' games tend to absolutely hate Midway's 1995 WWF Wrestlemania.
    I think it's the best wrestling game ever made.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Liar.
    If you know what to do, Deadly Towers is excellent.

That opening theme music is some of the best of the NES. The scope of the game is massive. It's extremely hard, but once you get that first bell, you're hooked.

I had no idea people ragged on Astyanax. I always had a special place in my heart for that game.

-ROb
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!