Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    The person who first mentions Hydlide gets a black eye... Oh shit!
    Mine was going to be super hydlide for for the genesis, but if its going to get me black eye I got nothing. :P

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Howie6925 View Post
    Mine was going to be super hydlide for for the genesis, but if its going to get me black eye I got nothing. :P
    One of these days Alice...

I've been thinking, it's hard for me to come up with a game that fits this criteria.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always liked Zelda II, Castlevania II, and Mario 2, despite those games being the least-liked/most ignored of their respective franchises.
    I also really liked Castlevania 64 and Bomberman Hero.

A more recent example of a series I like that others hate is Monster Hunter, but thankfully, it's obscure to the point where people aren't as likely to argue with me about it.

Edit: I just realized that the "Fist of the North Star" game for the NES falls under this, just because it's a game about making people explode with your fist. I also loved Final Fantasy Legend and FFL2.
    Last edited by McKillington; 07-03-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Human Cannonball?! I loved that game. The sound effects alone made me play that one for hours back in the day.

Plok (SNES). Weird game mechanic (throwing your limbs) and a really tough game. Fantastic music and the difficulty kept me coming back.

Street Racer (SNES). Awful game with hideously stereotypical characters and the occasional game-ending glitch. Still, playing soccer with cars was fun as hell. Seriously.

Mega Man Soccer (SNES). Music? Awful. Gameplay? Horrendous! Seeing Skull Man kick a soccer ball into Pharoah Man's face? Priceless.

ClayFighter Series (Multiplatform). Everyone thought the first was cute, but the two sequels are widely regarded as mistakes. I liked all versions of every game, but I was really into clay sculpting at the time they were made, and now hold nostalgic value. It also means I snagged a very rare N64 game and have it in great condition.

007 World is Not Enough (N64) - Loved this "sequel", as it had many of the same elements and gameplay as the ultra-popular Goldeneye with additions like capture the flag, but apparently most didn't agree.

Pipe Dreams (NES-PS1) - Regarded as a lackluster puzzler, I liked the challenge of getting the most crossovers possible for points before the ooze spilled out. I was surprised at the effort in Pipe Dreams 3D for the PS1, but ultimately it was the same game with a facelift.
    The future is to those who take it!

Like Video Game Merchandise? Buy some here! Rare stuff in many categories! (Click the pic)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Boy View Post
    There's a video floating somewhere about the differences between the US and japanese versions of Fester's Quest. The Famicom's got tweaked gameplay, and is apparently much more fun to play.
    Huh, can't find it anywhere on Youtube, just a lot of hate videos for the game. Any idea where you saw it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra Force. The slow-down sucked, but other than that, it was fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sabrina the animated series: Zapped! is a guilty pleasure.

I don't think this game is so much hated as downright ignored. As it would be, being a TV cartoon tie-in game aimed at kids. My sister got it Christmas years ago and I gave it a play.

It's actually quite a good little platformer and I found it enjoyable. Visually it looks pretty good and it was challenging in one or two places. I'd recommend it if you ever happen to come cross it on the cheap.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gundam Crossfire (PS3) - It's fun, I enjoyed it. I kinda see why people complain, but I really liked it.

Murakumo (Xbox) - It's got issues, but it's a neat concept and it's still playable.

Etrom: The Astral Essence (PC) - It's got a foreign, campy quality to it.

Gilligan's Island (NES) - I remember renting this one as a kid and loving it, but I've seen a lot of negative reviews. Then again, I just loved watching syndicated Gilligan's Island reruns as a kid.

Mega Man X6 (PSX) - I friggin loved this one. They left the Japanese music and voices in, so it has the best localization of all the PSX MM games. The level design isn't as awful as everyone makes it out to be, I found it pleasantly challenging. My only gripe is that a lot of the cutscene images aren't in the right aspect ratio.

Baroque (Wii/PS2) - It's so surreal and subtle, nobody seems to appreciate that. They're too busy bashing the "difficulty." It's actually a darn easy game...

Final Fantasy VIII (PSX/PC) - I liked the Junction system. I liked drawing magic. I liked Squall and his issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have to disagree with you about X6. That game has some awful level design; whoever designed Metal Shark Player, Blaze Heatnix, and Infinity Whatever's levels should have been fired from Capcom.

I did enjoy Baroque and FF8 though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    bomberman hero for n64
    Yes! I still love that game. I think that if it didn't have the Bomberman name on it, it would have been better-received.

Anyways:

Pitfall 3D: Beyond The Jungle (PSX) - One of three titles that I got when I got my PlayStation. Bruce Campbell plays Pitfall Harry. Bruce Effing Campbell.

Mario's Time Machine (SNES) - One of those games that I still occasionally go back and play. I think it's because of the box art. Something about the box art for late-NES-early-SNES Mario titles just gives me a rush of nostalgia.

Chameleon Twist (N64) - A game I played specifically because a friend of mine told me it was good. I enjoyed renting it from time to time from the local Blockbuster. My mom actually tracked down the game for me as a Christmas gift.

Sonic 3D Blast (PC) - This is probably the most hated of all the Genesis Sonic titles. I remember going nuts after seeing the PC version at K-Mart, and begging my dad to buy it for me. He did. Played the hell out of it.

Sonic R (PC) - Went to Office Depot with my dad, and one of his friends and his son. They both let us get a game. I chose Sonic R (Bundled with Devil's Island Pinball! Never played that.), he chose one of those shovelware packs that had 100 game demos on it or something like that. Played this a lot. Then I realized that I could be playing better stuff.

Gridders (3DO) - I remember playing this game at a demo station when I was REALLY young. I think my dad had to lift me up for me to play it. "Playing" would be a bit of a stretch. More like hitting buttons.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Johnny_Boy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Huh, can't find it anywhere on Youtube, just a lot of hate videos for the game. Any idea where you saw it?
    I can't for the life of me remember where I saw the damn thing. All I know is I didn't hallucinate it. If I ever find a trail I'll post an update.
    EDIT: Here it is! The reason I couldn't find it is because it was actually the european version that got the tweaks. There is no Famicom edition.
    Some of you gamers have suffered from the flaws in the American version.
    Well, guess what? The European version is actually more playable and has improvements from the American version, such as you can shoot through walls and obstacles, and most enemies are less tedious to kill. Though you still have to face the problem when some projectiles tend to miss targets.
    Last edited by Johnny_Boy; 07-05-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I agree with other people on here about some titles.

I highly enjoy Beyond the Beyond for PS One (played thru it 10 times and will not stop there cause I'm insane.)

Then I enjoy Checkered Flag for Atari Jaguar because of a couple particular levels and some of the game music style.

I like Sonic 3D Blast quite a bit on all platforms. Viewpoint the arcade shooter for PS1 got bad reviews in GamePro magazine when it was out telling owners of the game to "beat it quickly then bury it in your back yard before your friends find out." even like playing the Genesis and Neo Geo versions of that game.

I love everything about the Neo Geo CD game system and actually put up with the load times.

I never thought of Yo! Noid, Zelda II, Super Mario Bros. 2 US & J versions or Faxanadu as bad games, but I see them complained about on youtube all the time. ???????? Also any port of Fantastic Dizzy is great fun to me, but a lot of people don't enjoy the pick up objects and place them elsewhere style of gameplay.

I enjoy all the Dragon Ball Z fighting games, but many non DBZ fans don't care for the gameplay style. To me the games are fun but it's true that all the sequels to the original games are fanservice.

Most of my friends who enjoy the Legacy of Kain series like all of them except for Blood Omen because it's not 3D like the rest of the games. I'm like the only one besides my stepdad that I personally knew enjoyed that game.

Oh and the PS1 ports of Diablo and Darkstone are usually bashed for having features and menus that take more trouble to access, but I've been playing them for hours at a time; addicted to them.

Knuckles Chaotix is rarely looked at as the sole reason to own a 32X but in my eyes it is a good enough game to merit its existence. I'm the type of person who will own a console even if I only like 1 game for it. (Let's here it for Dodge It for Fairchild Channel F!)
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 07-05-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Oh man, I need to get these off my chest. I love these games!

NES:
    Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout
    Fester's Quest
    Monster Party

SEGA CD:
    Black Hole Assault

SATURN:
    Sonic R

SNES:
    Bart's Nightmare

PSX:
    Blast Chamber

DREAMCAST:
    Dynamite Cop
    Blue Stinger
    Pen Pen TriIcelon

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Superman on NES.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raptor94k
    PSN
    raptor94k

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalChemical View Post
    Another great game that I never hear about is Thrilla's Surfari. Beat the hell out of T&C Surf Designs.
    I know this was back on the first page...but I love Thrilla's Surfari. This was one of the games that my brother and I used to play when I was a kid in the early 90s. I remember we would try to get as far as we could, although we never beat it, both using warps and without using the warps.

Last year, I decided that I was going to beat it. I hadn't seriously played it in like 10-15 years at that point. It took me a few tries and playing it off and on over the course of a week, but I finally pulled it off and beat the game without warping. I was excited. The best part is that it really isn't as difficult as I always thought it was.

In relation to the topic at hand, I actually did see someone somewhere say that they hated Thrilla's Surfari, especially when compared to the original T&C Surf Designs. And I disagree, while I like the original, Thrilla's Surfari is way better.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love Heavy Nova, despite of how bad it is - and I'm aware of how bad that thing is. I just like it, go figure. Rented it once, enjoyed it (although it was really bad), and will probably get one someday.

I also like Yo!Noid, like someone mentioned. Actually, most of my friends loved it back then, and it seems to have quite the following among brazilian gamers. It's a fun game, I don't understand why it's so hated there.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Castlevania Adventure
    I'm guilty for this as well. I can't really say that I could easily pick up the game and play it today (the slow walking speed is still intolerable), but back when I had all the time in the world and nothing but a GameBoy to keep me company, I spent many hours finishing that game over and over again

Other games I enjoy but aren't always talked about in the highest regard:
    - Final Fantasy Legend II (the OST is still among the best in the series)
    - Dragons Lair (GB version - I got the music stuck in my head right now just by thinking about it),
    - Fortress of Fear (not as awesome as Ironsword, but still fun)
    - Gargoyles Quest (one of my favorite platformers actually)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Hydlide. All of them.

/hatersgonnahate.jpg
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

The karate kid NES maybe because im into martial arts but i really enjoy it.
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by mattimeo310 View Post
    The karate kid NES maybe because im into martial arts but i really enjoy it.
    youre not alone.

I didnt think the game sucked for all the years I used to play it, and then AVGN went and made fun of it. Its a damn funny video review, but I really liked the game.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew