Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The most hated titles that you enjoy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus View Post
    - Final Fantasy Legend II (the OST is still among the best in the series)
    - Gargoyles Quest (one of my favorite platformers actually)
    I thought these were both highly acclaimed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) bohproper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

space harrier on game gear couldnt get enough from age 8-12 lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Me no xbox live
    PSN
    Is down again.
    3DS Friend
    3DS. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Oh man, I need to get these off my chest. I love these games!

SEGA CD:
    Black Hole Assault
    I also enjoyed Black Hole Assault (The game, not the adult movie).

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Milon's Secret Castle for the NES. I never knew it was a hated game until the AVGN made a video. It was way hard and confusing as what to do, but once you know, it's really enjoyable. And it seems really popular in Japan too for whatever reason, yet a total fail in the USA.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love fmw games.

Specially Night Trap and Corpse Killer on the Mega CD 32X

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Monster Party and Karate Kid. Who could hate these great games?

I am not sure I love Milon's Secret Castle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by fairyland View Post
    Milon's Secret Castle for the NES. I never knew it was a hated game until the AVGN made a video. It was way hard and confusing as what to do, but once you know, it's really enjoyable. And it seems really popular in Japan too for whatever reason, yet a total fail in the USA.
    sounds like Hydlide syndrome.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0) EvilSlefo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    slefo

Default Gemfire and King Arthurs World

I think both these games for the SNES got bad scores, Gemfire and King Arthurs World. I never used the mouse for King Arthurs World, but that game got crazy hard towards the end! Loved both of these gems!

I also remember seeing King Arthurs World on the top 100 worst games of all time @ Electronic Gaming Monthly, I think. They said they would of rather hung themselves with the mouse cord then play the game
    "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have @ you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

What the hells wrong with Gemfire. That was an excellent SNES game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) EvilSlefo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    slefo

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    What the hells wrong with Gemfire. That was an excellent SNES game.
    I think nothing is wrong with Gemfire. I LOVE that game. Beat it when I was a kid and then when all the next gen consoles were out.

I just remember everyone (my friends at least) hating it growing up. In fact, I got the game back when because my friend thought it was that shitty.

But hey, great to meet another Gemfire fan lol j/k
    Last edited by EvilSlefo; 07-07-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have @ you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fairyland View Post
    I used to love Milon's Secret Castle, of course I owned it way back when I only had a handful of games so I didn't have very many alternatives to play. I remember I could get pretty far in the game before hitting some sort of vertical level (side tower?) before getting completely frustrated. Never did beat it. I didn't know AVGN did a video of it, maybe I'll have to check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSlefo View Post
    I think nothing is wrong with Gemfire. I LOVE that game. Beat it when I was a kid and then when all the next gen consoles were out.

I just remember everyone (my friends at least) hating it growing up. In fact, I got the game back when because my friend thought it was that shitty.

But hey, great to meet another Gemfire fan lol j/k
    hahah

Yeah I borrowed the game from a friend when I was in first or 2nd grade. Her mom was a huge video game buyer. she'd kinda just buy tons of stuff.

I must have played that game for days straight. It was very fun.. It is the first detailed strategy game I can remember playing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Shuffle gets a lot of undeserved hate. People claim it's just a shameless Mario Party rip-off (Which I suppose it is to some degree) but personally I prefer it to Mario Party and will gladly play it for hours.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually like Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1/Saturn). The graphics make it unique for a SF game. There's nothing wrong with how the game plays; it feels like Super Street Fighter II Turbo with EX special moves from Street Fighter III.

It may look like Mortal Kombat, but at least it still plays better.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PSony View Post
    I actually like Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1/Saturn). The graphics make it unique for a SF game. There's nothing wrong with how the game plays; it feels like Super Street Fighter II Turbo with EX special moves from Street Fighter III.

It may look like Mortal Kombat, but at least it still plays better.
    I think most people hate Street Fighter: The Movie because it was based off the film. Most people probably never even played the damn thing and just do the whole "it's based off the movie so it sucks". Now the arcade version played more like an MK game but was still damn good as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Miss Boris Yeltsin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my picks would have to be Fantavision for PS2 - I remember it getting panned as a launch day title, basically for not being "next gen" - but ten years later, I think it's aged the best of all the launch-day PS2 games. The singleplayer experience can be a bit... sedate-bordering-on-comatose, I suppose, but I think it's one of the best two-player puzzlers out there - very easy to pick up and play, and not as finicky as Tetris (where someone who knows what they're doing will completely curb-stomp the new guy ninety-nine times out of a hundred), but with enough strategic stuff going on that it doesn't become something completely inconsequential and lame like Mario Party.

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    I think most people hate Street Fighter: The Movie because it was based off the film. Most people probably never even played the damn thing and just do the whole "it's based off the movie so it sucks". Now the arcade version played more like an MK game but was still damn good as well.
    People hated on it because, simply put, it was not a well-programmed, competitively viable fighting game. The very generous counter system means that there's absolutely no reason to ever attempt a throw, which destroys the attack > block > throw "rock-paper-scissors" system - you can block all you want, and if your opponent tries to throw you, he ends up losing the exchange. Makes for really insanely boring turtle-heavy fights.

The fact that it was a big-ticket release and carried the Street Fighter name sure didn't help matters much - especially not when you factor in that it was released alongside the similarly-unbalanced Street Fighter Alpha game. It seemed to many at the time that Capcom may have lost their mojo, which sorta fueled the desire to criticize and amplified the criticism a lot louder than it would be for a generic fighting game from an unknown company.

But the bottom line is that this is not how a "damn good" fighting game plays:

Skip to 0:34 if you want the best example of why this is considered a bad fighter.

Maybe it's borderline-tolerable in singleplayer, but playing a fighting game in singleplayer is kinda like basing a beer review off of the near-beer version.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Alex Kidd the Lost Stars (SEGA Master System) - "Fine the Miracle Vall!" I really like this game, and it has everything to do with the way it takes me to that place I was in when I was a kid, because the game is pretty crap (that's pretty crap as in pretty craptastic, not crap that's pretty). I even felt that way then, if that makes any sense.

Aztec Adventure (SEGA Master System) - I honestly don't know why so many people hate this game. I thought that it was an amazing title for the time. It was an overhead scrolling adventure game like Zelda, where you would enlist the aid of totems or spirit warriors or something that you needed to summon and bribe with gold that you collected all through out the game. I thought that the game play was deep and introduced a lot of elements that other games of the time hadn't. I never played it all the way through, but I still think it holds up today.

Fantasy Zone: The Maze (SEGA Master System) - I don't know anyone else who likes this game and almost no one who remembers it, but it's one of my favorite Master System games and 'til this day me and one of my best friends always play it when we meet up.

Fantavision (PS2) - I absolutely loved Fantasvision, and I didn't get it until the later end of the PS2's run, and never heard of it before I saw it on the store shelf (or bin, I don't remember...I just knoe that it was from Gametop).

Ghen War (Saturn) - Early future themed FPS where you pilot a Aliens'esque cargo loader style mech, and fight alien Ghen who poses as allies and turned on humanity. I don't know many people who enjoyed this game, and the reviews were pretty bad too, I believe. But I put countless hours into the game. I never beat it (yet) though.

Ghost House (SEGA Master System) - I think I'm one of 5 people who love this game, much less like it.

Junction (Genesis) - From the time it was released, I felt I needed to own this game based on the box art alone. It looked like the cover of a Philip K. Dick book, and I'm a sucker for that sort of serene, abstract stuff. I coveting this game for YEARS until I finally procured a copy sometimes on the mid-aughts. I'd learned that it was something of a Timeball clone, which might put off the average gamer, but I actually enjoyed it from the first time I played it. It's something that I have to take in sessions, but I really enjoy the game.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Atari 2600) - People ragged on this game for decades, but I thought that it was amazing as a kid. The obscurity of everything that you had to do, and the mystery of the game play inspired me as much as it put people off. I've never ended the game, and I've never used a walk through. Every few years I'll fire up a game of it and get a little 'farther' then I remember getting before. But I'm probably not breaking any ground at all.

Shrek: Super Party (XBOX version) - I just assumed that no one liked this game based on what I know of gamers, but I searched the reviews on Gamefaqs and it got an average score of 3. I won't pretend that it's a great game, but the wife and I use to play it a TON back in the day. We were Fuzion Frenzy fiends, and so we tried other party type games like it. Shrek: Super Party was one that we played nearly as much. We were already fans of the original Shrek film, and the game play was standard enough fare, so with the characters from the film and the little bug swapping mini-game at the end of each round, it was a really fun little title.

Space Harrier (SEGA Master System) - I STILL love the Master System version of Space Harrier as much today as I did when I was a kid. Flicker, clipping, scratchy audio and all.

Zillion II: The Triformation (SEGA Master System) - This is another that I don't know anyone that likes. Most hate it because the original, which was a lot more popular, was such a great and expansive game (for the time), and the sequel is a really short 8 level platforming shooter that's over in 10 minutes, but I really love the game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore View Post
    Nes:

PS2:
    Ghostbusters
    I totally second this. I played all the way through it and plan to do so in the future, even though the game froze up a few times, or sent me into some sort of glitchy vortex that caused me to reset.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love Battle Arena Toshinden. Not sure how much 'hate' this one gets, but it sure has received alot of "most over-rated early PS game" awards. I never get tired of watching Duke dash right off the edge of the stage as I side-step out of the way.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Street Fighter (arcade, TG16 CD) - This is another one that everyone seems to hate, including people who were gamers when it came out, but never actually played it until years later. We use to spend so many hours in the arcade playing this game, BITD. There were two camps of people. Those who understood and had a mastery of the controls, and those who didn't, and could do any special moves without just shaking the joystick frantically. There were no intermediate players.