Thread: Dragonball Z: The Legend (100% English)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragonball Z: The Legend (100% English)

#post1747740
    Last edited by HalogenDan; 12-26-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can answer this.

This "The Legend" edition you have is the alternative PAL edition of Sega Saturn's Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu, intended for release in Spain and Portugal. Both countries, which had also received all the PAL Dragon Ball games for the SNES, Mega Drive and PlayStation (only Ultimate Battle 22 up to this point) that were previously released in France, got this particular batch of the PAL Sega Saturn game which is slightly different to the one released in France.

The main difference this alternative edition has with the standard French edition, aside from what you already mentioned like having that English "The Legend" subtitle in the insert and CD instead of keeping the original Japanese one like the French does and also lacking any descriptive text in the rear, is that this edition has an instruction manual which is in both Spanish and Portuguese (I suppose you don't have the booklet to notice this), whereas the French edition has another one which is only in French.

In other words, this is what you could call an Iberian edition. I don't think this was ever released outside Spain and Portugal. I also don't think the French edition was ever released outside France either (maybe also in Belgium and Luxembourg, but that's it). I doubt the UK ever got this game officially (aside from importing) in any shape or form, as there doesn't seem to be any PAL edition with not even an English instruction manual at least.

By the way, I always thought the game content itself was essentially identical in both PAL editions. I haven't played the French version myself, but since Spain and Portugal always got the same French localizations of the old Dragon Ball games with only minor editions performed in the external package (this was always like this until Infogrames/Atari got into the Dragon Ball game publishing and established the usual multi-language policy), I thought this was the same, and the fact of having some English text in the French translation being something deliberate. I'll have to compare with a genuine French edition to see if it's really that way.
    Last edited by Wesker; 07-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#post1747973
    Last edited by HalogenDan; 12-26-2019 at 10:14 PM.