Thread: Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Games Strategies

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Games Strategies

I like old video game books. There's the obvious practical aspect of having tips available, and then there's the nostalgia of reading reviews and information written with the enthusiasm and perspective of the moment instead of the often revisionist video game history passed around the internet. This series, though, I found to offer something kind of different and unique from most of what's out there.

The Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Games Strategies series does have mini reviews and tips. What stands out is that it also contains a synopsis of each game's back story and controls, even highlighting controls omitted from the actual instructions. These books are essentially instruction manual compendiums for hundreds of NES games, which retroactively makes them more desirable to me in an age where manuals are difficult to get and increasingly expensive. Sure, a lot of the info here is now free on GameFAQs, but it looks like PDFs of this are available for free on various sites now as well.

As far as I know, there are 3 NES volumes, a Game Boy volume, and a Super NES volume.

Just wanted to talk about them for a second, as a lot of my friends also really like these and started picking up their own. Any old game-related books anyone else would like to talk about? I also enjoy the How to Win at... series (they're hokey, but fun) and others...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have How To Win At Game Boy Games and, growing up in a rural area where you just never saw that kind of thing, the Atari Lynx tips section at the back was the only reason I knew the Lynx existed as a kid. Even now, I've never seen one in person, but back then it seemed almost mythical.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post

As far as I know, there are 3 NES volumes, a Game Boy volume, and a Super NES volume.
    I recently got the NES 3-volume set in a lot of nintendo game I bought of Craigslist. They were in gross condition, so they went straight into the trash. I would have kept them if they would have been cleaner

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the 3 NES ones and the GB one. I had to re-buy the first 2 as I got them for Christmas one year and I wore out the books easily, always looking through the pages.

Plus one time my brother threw volume 1 at me and the corner of the book hit my eye!