Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My comments about CGE, post-show

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My comments about CGE, post-show

For over a decade I've wanted to go to CGE. This year I finally made it.

Saturday morning I was disappointed at first, thinking I'd spent money and time to go to Vegas for nothing more than a typical videogame expo along the lines of PhillyClassic, East Coast Gaming Expo, or numerous other similar events.

A little after lunchtime I discovered the difference-makers though, and proceeded to enjoy CGE immensely.

KEYNOTES: I attended a couple of talks that included a handful of Activision game creators, and another that included Keith Robinson and other Intellivision game creators. The keynotes were absolutely great. They were interesting and funny, and nothing that is readily available at other gaming get-togethers I've attended.

SATURDAY NIGHT AUCTION: Leading up to the show I'd been told the auction was not-to-be-missed, and the auction itself lived up to the hype. The auction was fun, funny, and astounding to me with regard to the amount of cash being thrown around. The auction was a 3-hour activity, but I wasn't close to ready for it to end after the three hours. I only wish I'd had deep enough pockets to more fully participate, but that's nothing CGE can be criticized for, obviously.

MUSEUM: The museum was very neat as well. VECTREXER's Vectrex display was simply jaw-dropping. At one point while I was in the museum I was walking along next to one of the Intellivision guys (maybe Don Daglow?) and even he was impressed with the Intellivision items on display.

NON-VIDEO, REAL-LIVE PERSON GAMING: I had a great time participating in the Atari Age vs. Digital Press Medieval Mayhem tournament (amazing game, btw). The Family Feud match looked terrific (unfortunately I only saw the very end so I can't fairly comment much on the game), and playing in the Jeopardy game was a lot of fun too. The actual mechanics of making the Jeopardy game board and buzzers were done very, very well. Clearly a huge amount of work went into these activities.

All-in-all I had a terrific time. The things that make CGE a unique event were wonderful and if you have the opportunity to attend next year I highly recommend it. And if you do go, I urge you to take advantage of the bits and pieces that aren't common to all videogame expos.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly enjoyed it, and was honored to be a part of the show. During the set up, and break down I really got to know the DP and some of the Atari Age guys, and I have to say that they are all very cool people. I also made some new friends here locally.

I had a blast keeping the game stations going. Watching everyone getting enjoyment playing all of my classic consoles was awesome. Thanks to Vectrexer and (sorry I wish I knew your name bro), for bringing over their Vectrex, Virtual Boy, and vintage table tops over to the game stations. People loved them.

The arcade was awesome, we had about 30 games or so set up. There was a time in during the show where just about every arcade machine and every game station had someone playing.

During this year, I think instead of Ebaying stuff, I am going to toss things into a CGE2011 pile. I will be ready for some buying/selling/trading next year. I still had a ton of fun though. The music was great (although I wish it was a bit more often).

The museum was fabulous. I was honored to donate my X'Eye, CDX, and Game Gear for people to look at. Some of the prototypes and obscure items were simply amazing. I never thought I'd see a boxed Stadium Events, a Prototype Sega Neptune, and other things like that.

The auction was hilarious, and the after party was pretty fun too. I am still in awe that a Corona sold at auction for $300. The nice thing about it though, is that a lot of the auction money went to charity like Salvation Army in Vegas and also to help fund Tim's not for profit Pinball Hall Of Fame.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 08-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Cge 2007

I haven't had a chance to post pictures for this year's CGE, but here's a link to the write-up I did for the 2007 show, if anyone cares to take a look:

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I had a blast as well. Got to meet a lot of old freinds and some cool new people as well. Thoroughly enjoyed making an ass out of myself on several occasions, examples but no limited to: Mistaking some chick for Katchoo and running up and freaking her out jabbering at her, Going up to the awesome band letting them know what a fan I am thinking they were the minibosses.... They weren't. And several dozen times almost eating shit on the camoflage speed bump Joe installed in front of the web cam. "I wonder how many cool videos he has of people biffing it and taking a faceplant into the Atari age table?"

The Tropicana was pretty cool gambling wise, got to teach Betty how to play Keno and I walked away with more o the machines money than they snagged from me.

Only 2 real bummers was The closest restaurant at Tropicana was this south beach place that sucked ass. Like seriously Papastu payed 10 bux for easy mac in a paper plate, Ridiculous ketchup and velveeta pizzas.

And next year we need some cats dedicated to getting the after party squared away, it wound up ok after Joe finally said ya lets do it in the CGE hall and the beer finally showed up. I even dedicated my SEX vodka to help keep the natives restless.

All in all I think if we can keep it at Tropicana and iron out a few minor bugs the next CGE will be even more badass.

Plus we need to invite dancing Jesus back.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
    And several dozen times almost eating shit on the camoflage speed bump Joe installed in front of the web cam. "I wonder how many cool videos he has of people biffing it and taking a faceplant into the Atari age table?"
    I tripped on that thing myself a few times.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed myself at the expo this year, although I do think 2007 was better. Things seemed cheaper, there were more booths and definatly more arcade machines. I certainly don't blame the CGE team for that, I absolutly understand that is a result of a bad economy. But I did miss Twin Galaxies and some of the early Nintendo and Williams arcade games. Most of all I missed the Warlords cocktail table they had. While they did have it going on the 2600, I still enjoyed the battles of the cocktail table we had in 2007.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    I tripped on that thing myself a few times.
    Ironically, we set that up so people wouldn't trip on the cables for the couch Atari set up.

I suppose for every person that tripped on the runner there was a chance that they would've yanked the whole power cord setup out.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Foxglove9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

Mistaking some chick for Katchoo and running up and freaking her out jabbering at her,

Haha. No worries, I literally just walked in and I was all disoriented when you started talking to me thinking "how do I know him, hmmm...". But really I can see how you made that mistake.

And yes I tripped on that runner about 2 times. Also tripped on the Atari joystick cord by the couch but that might have been during the party after some drinks.

That was my first CGE and really I had such an incredible fun time. It was also a good chance to finally meet and talk to some people that I've had only had contact with online for the last 15 years.

The museum exceeded my expectations above and beyond. It was like being 8 years old again and walking into Toys R Us to check out all the new games. I could go on and on.

Still in Vegas though... vacation ends tomorrow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the beer for the after party did come a little late. We realized that you could not find a cheap case (or 10) of beers on the Strip, so we had to drive off the strip to pick em' up. Not only that, but everyone involved in the beer run was too wrapped up in the Auction to go get em'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antmeister View Post
    Most of all I missed the Warlords cocktail table they had. While they did have it going on the 2600, I still enjoyed the battles of the cocktail table we had in 2007.
    That was a blast, but having Medieval Mayhem set up helped make up for it, at least to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Had a blast at my first CGE! Played in the Family Feud match, I was the guy sent away on the atariage side. I had David Crane autograph my various Pitfall carts, cool guy! Saw most of the panels, met Joe, and bought a lot of stuff, including my first Neo-Geo carts. Will be going again next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was my very first CGE that I went to.

I have to say, it was awesome. I had never met any of you dudes before. It was pretty blatantly obvious who I was as I had a Sonic suit on (and looking at pictures, it appears that another person also brought their Sonic suit and also brought the head). What I did not realize was that being a bigger guy and wearing a Sonic suit that feels like wearing a huge sleeping bag gets super hot. I was sweating like crazy for the first day. I ended up just tying it around my waist for most of the show and occasionally putting the top half on when I had cool down more. If I had thought out the Sonic suit better, I would have ended up bringing the head, but damn, that thing kept me sweating all day.

The first person that approached me was whoever was with Vectorman. No offense bro, I do not know if she is a friend, your dating, whatever, but she was the first to approach me. I ended up meeting her and Vectorman right off the bat which was badass.

I am not going to lie, I did not know the rules with booze, so I kept disappearing to take a few shots or chug a beer, than have a cig and come back, so no offense if I have no clue what your name was when you introduced yourself. At one point, I was talking with a group of like 10-15 of you guys, which was probably the highlight of the entire trip.

I do remember meeting Sothy though.

I also talked with Joe for a minute or two which was awesome. I ended up walking away with about 10 games. I impulsively, and drunkenly, bought Halo 2600. I will say that most of the games that I bought were from Joe. Dude, your prices were just so insane that I had no choice but to get some goodies from ya.

Can I request that next year you hook it up with some more XXL shirts. I was going to get one, but you guys ran out. Either that or I will PM you or something and find out a way to get one.

I was informed about the after party, but one of the problems was that the people I brought with me were not all that into gaming like I am, so we ducked out at about 4 or 5 to do some other Vegas stuff. Next year I am going to leave them at the door and meet and greet more of you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I think Kevin has a pic of me with you and ya you smelled like a bums nutsack. jk naw it was cool times.

And as far as booze goes, I am like the Ed Flemming of CGE dont sweat it.
    Funny story, the kid that was like "is that guy drinking beer at 8 am dad?" in 07' is now the guy that had his fiancee at CGE. Hey Marty how'd you pull that dude?

<@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Haha. No worries, I literally just walked in and I was all disoriented when you started talking to me thinking "how do I know him, hmmm...". But really I can see how you made that mistake.

Ok cool I was just waiting for security to come after me on that lol. Your boyfriend kinda looked like he was judging odds on swinging at me as well, ok so we have that covered. Sothy is confused but not insane.

<@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, based on the night I had before I went to CGE, I am surprised I didn't still smell like spray on pina-colada perfume or something.

Ok, I remember Vectorman because his name is easy to remember, but who was he with. I remember her face just fine, but she said her username super kicky fast and I have no idea what her name was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

probably eternal tune. Betty, she is a cute little thing with glasses and quite foul mouthed?

<@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been to many gamer events prior to this, including CGE's. This was another successful effort in my opinion. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed CGE. My 5 1/2 year old daughter played many of the systems and arcade games available at the show. That alone was very important to me. It was the core value that prompted me to attend. I offer my thanks and appreciation to all that made this possible. Those who organized it, I can only imagine the time and aspirin that went into planning and managing. To those who brought pieces of prized collections. To share and let items be played or displayed is quite generous. The people who labored to physically to transport the displays and all those who went out of pocket. Also very generous with time and resources. To all the vendors that made the floor dangerous to wallets, thanks. I was able to pick up some really cool things from my want list (multi cart colecovision to name one). To those speakers that shared their time, knowledge and memories. Thanks and respect to you. Without you... game over, literally. Not to mention the attendees were great.

Sidenote : Shared the flight back to NY with John H. and Joe S. A (redundant) HUGE THANKS for all the hard work that you and your friends put in. Also, I swear the Hello Kitty NES Brew I bought from Joe is for my daughter. (Joe hit youtube to show me what the game looked like so I have a clue what to expect).
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only 2 real bummers was The closest restaurant at Tropicana was this south beach place that sucked ass. Like seriously Papastu payed 10 bux for easy mac in a paper plate, Ridiculous ketchup and velveeta pizzas..
    if you went to the Excalibur next to the trop, you could have gotten an all day pass for the round table buffet for 29.00(theres also a micky d's crispy creams and couple other fast food places there as well,but the buffet was great)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

The food thing was pretty annoying. I ended up trucking it over to New York New York because they have several small eateries there (the pizza is good!).

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Foxglove9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

Ok cool I was just waiting for security to come after me on that lol. Your boyfriend kinda looked like he was judging odds on swinging at me as well, ok so we have that covered. Sothy is confused but not insane.
    He is oblivious of his surroundings most of the time. Nice meeting up with you later on. I wish I remembered everyone's names/dp names. Faces I remember though.