Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Joystick for MAME Fighting Games on Macbook

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Proper Joystick for MAME Fighting Games on Macbook

Just got MAME running on my Macbook and looking to get a joystick for it. I play mostly fighting games and looked into the X-Arcade stick, but I don't want it because it's awkward playing Neo Geo games with that kind of button layout. I realize with only $100 budget, I'm going to have to compromise, so given my budget anyone have any recommendations? I want an American style batstick with American style buttons. If possible, SNK 4 button layout, but I'll take a 6 button layout since it would be good for Street Fighter games. I'm in college so I don't have much cash to spare. Could possibly go to $150, but not trying to.

Thanks and LOVE THIS SITE!!!

Been playing arcades since 1987 (Not my b-day, but my first memory was around this time).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I got a $10 box from Wal-Mart that lets me plug in an xBox, PlayStation, Game Cube, and USB controller. I use those.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theichibun View Post
    Honestly, I got a $10 box from Wal-Mart that lets me plug in an xBox, PlayStation, Game Cube, and USB controller. I use those.
    I'm trying to replicate the arcade experience and those controllers wont do. Plus, I don't even own any of those systems so I don't know if I would like the controls or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's not the point. You get the converter box to expand your choice of joystick. There are some great american style arcade sticks for PS2 and XBOX.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    That's not the point. You get the converter box to expand your choice of joystick. There are some great american style arcade sticks for PS2 and XBOX.
    Can you show me where these are? I've never seen any U.S. bat style sticks for either of the 2 systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you show me where these are? I've never seen any U.S. bat style sticks for either of the 2 systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's not a U.S. style stick, that's a Japanese style ballstick. I'm looking for a bat stick like a perfect 360 or super joystick has with U.S. buttons.
    Last edited by peter_gunz; 03-10-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peter_gunz View Post
    That's not a U.S. style stick, that's a Japanese style ballstick. I'm looking for a bat stick like a perfect 360 or super joystick has with U.S. buttons.
    Guess you mean happs far as buttons and sticks go.Btw joysticks by madcatz and hori can be modded if you don't like the standard sanwa and seimitsu.

Dunno if this site could get what you want.
    http://www.arcadeinabox.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Guess you mean happs far as buttons and sticks go.Btw joysticks by madcatz and hori can be modded if you don't like the standard sanwa and seimitsu.

Dunno if this site could get what you want.
    http://www.arcadeinabox.com
    It seems when I refer to those joysticks, the name happs come up, so maybe. I've heard about modding the sticks, but I am the worst at using my hands (ironic for the son of a carpenter). So I've ruled that option out.

I've heard of and looked at arcadeinabox, I just wish they had pics of the specs I'm looking for. Have you used their service before? How was it?

I'm sure I sound like such a noob, but if I knew this was possible before, I would have done it a LONG time ago (if I had the cash of course, which is also kinda recent).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Fighter Anniversary sticks are made for HAPP style parts.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Fighter Anniversary sticks are made for HAPP style parts.
    Actually, I think that would be your best bet. There's really not much available in prebuilt American style arcade joysticks these days.

If you aren't too picky about the quality and feel of the controls you could get a Street Fighter Anniversary joystick and a PS2>USB adapter. There's one here for $65.00.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

If you can't stand how crappy the controls are on that one, as Kedawa said you can easily switch them out with Happ parts on that model. So, you should be able to afford the SFA stick, the Happ parts and the USB adapter within your $100~150 budget.

I'm getting away from American style sticks outside of arcade cabinets myself, hopping on the Sanwa bandwagon. But if I wanted an American stick for consoles, the SFA + happ combo is probably how I'd do it. I own two of those sticks, I just haven't gotten them modded yet.

I did make some custom overlays though!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Actually, I think that would be your best bet. There's really not much available in prebuilt American style arcade joysticks these days.

If you aren't too picky about the quality and feel of the controls you could get a Street Fighter Anniversary joystick and a PS2>USB adapter. There's one here for $65.00.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

If you can't stand how crappy the controls are on that one, as Kedawa said you can easily switch them out with Happ parts on that model. So, you should be able to afford the SFA stick, the Happ parts and the USB adapter within your $100~150 budget.

I'm getting away from American style sticks outside of arcade cabinets myself, hopping on the Sanwa bandwagon. But if I wanted an American stick for consoles, the SFA + happ combo is probably how I'd do it. I own two of those sticks, I just haven't gotten them modded yet.

I did make some custom overlays though!
    When you say feel and quality, what do you mean? I mean compare this to a typical arcade that I would have played in the early 90s. Is there that much of a difference? How crappy are the controls? From what I can see, it looks to be a decent replica of the original, but looks can be deceiving.

I'm not looking to use one for my console (I don't own a PS2), I'm trying to use one for my Macbook. I may have to go this route though, if it'll work. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you say feel and quality, what do you mean? I mean compare this to a typical arcade that I would have played in the early 90s. Is there that much of a difference? How crappy are the controls? From what I can see, it looks to be a decent replica of the original, but looks can be deceiving.

I'm not looking to use one for my console (I don't own a PS2), I'm trying to use one for my Macbook. I may have to go this route though, if it'll work. Thoughts?
    It's kind of hard to describe, the joystick is much stiffer and clunkier than a Happ. You have to apply a little more strength to move it around. I think it has a stronger spring in it. The buttons are awful; they're convex rather than concave, and much bigger than Happs. (but the hole size is the same) the best way I can describe it is that it feels like I'm pressing down on plastic marshmallows.

It may be good enough for you anyway, you could get it and try it out before you order new parts. And I think the only other alternative you have is a Pelican "Tournament Ready" joystick, without getting into custom builds.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Access...9925278&sr=8-3

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's kind of hard to describe, the joystick is much stiffer and clunkier than a Happ. You have to apply a little more strength to move it around. I think it has a stronger spring in it. The buttons are awful; they're convex rather than concave, and much bigger than Happs. (but the hole size is the same) the best way I can describe it is that it feels like I'm pressing down on plastic marshmallows.

It may be good enough for you anyway, you could get it and try it out before you order new parts. And I think the only other alternative you have is a Pelican "Tournament Ready" joystick, without getting into custom builds.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Access...9925278&sr=8-3
    If that's the case, I'm wondering if I should just go X-Arcade? You know for a fact this thing has no lag? I say X-Arcade, because of the lifetime warranty, but if it lags then it would be pointless. The stick you recommended would be better for Neo Geo games though, since it has a 4 button layout (although not the same, but close enough). X-Arcade would be weird in that regard. Also, as noted above, I probably wouldn't be able to mod it myself, how hard would it be to find a place to do it for me, if I bought the parts on my own. I live in the SF Bay Area at the moment. BTW, sorry if I'm hesitant or being irrational, just trying to make the right choice given my funds at the moment. Thanks though, you're being extremely helpful.

I always preferred the heavier sticks, but yeah no way to know for sure w/out checking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Modding isn't really that hard. The hardest (most time consuming) part is getting the new quick connects onto the wires. (the stocks are too small for Happ switches) And even then you're just putting a wire into a slot and crimping it with pliers or something. Actually, for me the hardest part is getting the damn E-clip on the joystick assembly. But you won't need to solder or anything. There was a guide to modding the SFA stick online somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

And anyway, you may like the stock controls well enough to keep them; perhaps you could jyst buy the SFA or Xarcade, use it, and if you don't like the controls you can switch the parts out later.

Have you read this thread about the X-Arcade?
    http://shoryuken.com/f177/x-arcade-parts-129256/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Modding isn't really that hard. The hardest (most time consuming) part is getting the new quick connects onto the wires. (the stocks are too small for Happ switches) And even then you're just putting a wire into a slot and crimping it with pliers or something. Actually, for me the hardest part is getting the damn E-clip on the joystick assembly. But you won't need to solder or anything. There was a guide to modding the SFA stick online somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

And anyway, you may like the stock controls well enough to keep them; perhaps you could jyst buy the SFA or Xarcade, use it, and if you don't like the controls you can switch the parts out later.

Have you read this thread about the X-Arcade?
    http://shoryuken.com/f177/x-arcade-parts-129256/
    Trust me, when it comes to working on things with my hands, it's better not to. Seriously, I had to crimp some stuff at a jewelry shop until my boss saw my work and immediately put me back on working on the online store. Yep, that bad! So I wouldn't be able to mod a damn thing no matter how simple it would be, especially if it involves cutting of ANY sort.

I did not read that particular article, but I've heard some bad stories from that forum before. They all seem to be from people that prefer Japanese style sticks. I have a Japanese style stick (Neo Geo), it is not as good as the American stick as far as I'm concerned. Too loose and the buttons are too small. Great for a Japanese guy, but for someone that played in U.S. arcades my whole life, it's not gonna cut it for me. They're just too small and I end up gripping with 2 fingers instead of 3, which is unnatural for me and awkward.

I'm wondering if the lag they complain about is only on the consoles? If it is, I could care less as I plan to ONLY play it using MAME on my Macbook. That said, switching the parts out is not an option unless I can find someone to do it for me. Do you know if it lags on computers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trust me, when it comes to working on things with my hands, it's better not to. Seriously, I had to crimp some stuff at a jewelry shop until my boss saw my work and immediately put me back on working on the online store. Yep, that bad! So I wouldn't be able to mod a damn thing no matter how simple it would be, especially if it involves cutting of ANY sort.

I did not read that particular article, but I've heard some bad stories from that forum before. They all seem to be from people that prefer Japanese style sticks. I have a Japanese style stick (Neo Geo), it is not as good as the American stick as far as I'm concerned. Too loose and the buttons are too small. Great for a Japanese guy, but for someone that played in U.S. arcades my whole life, it's not gonna cut it for me. They're just too small and I end up gripping with 2 fingers instead of 3, which is unnatural for me and awkward.

I'm wondering if the lag they complain about is only on the consoles? If it is, I could care less as I plan to ONLY play it using MAME on my Macbook. That said, switching the parts out is not an option unless I can find someone to do it for me. Do you know if it lags on computers?
    I don't know about the X-Arcade but I can check the SFA for you tomorrow. (I'll be working until then)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about the X-Arcade but I can check the SFA for you tomorrow. (I'll be working until then)
    Cool, thanks. I should say that this is just a temporary thing. Once I get out of college, I would have money to get a proper set up from one of the custom sites. I just need something right now that would require minimum maintenance and minimal time dedication in general as well as something that feels right playing Neo Geo and Street Fighter games.
    Preferably something that is geared towards the Neo Geo/SNK gamer as I prefer these over Street Fighter in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I'm going to withdraw my suggestion for the SFA stick. Now that I drag it out of the closet and play it again, it's quite possibly the most uncomfortable joystick I've ever used (Next to the PS2 shadowblade) and even if you mod it, the height of the casing makes it awkward to play on. (I play all my games sitting in a chair with the stick on a table) Also, one of the boards is defective.

The next thing I was going to recommend is the Pelican Real Arcade Universal, it also has the Chinese parts, but it's a pretty decent joystick as far as retail console sticks go. I still have one, I bought it an a Gamestop the day I bought my Xbox. But unfortunately it didn't work with the PS2 adapter.

I think that leaves you with the Real Arcade. I'd keep in mind that the Shoryuken review was written by fighting game elitists, and less than the best generally doesn't cut it over there. The X-arcade seems to be just fine for everyone else, here's the Digital Press review by Don Evanoff. You don't have to worry about adapters or modding or anything, and if you want a Neo Geo layout without that second button down there, you can always pull it out and stick in one of these bad boys.

So, I think the X-Arcade would be the best choice for you after all.