Thread: I got an Atari XE system and I need a little help.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default I got an Atari XE system and I need a little help.

Well, I finally got an XE system, but I don't know much about the Atari XE or Atari 8-bit systems. Anyone got a good website that explains the XE(or 8-bit)systems. I want to know if the XE will play all the atari carts?(like 400, 800, etc.) Also I want to know what are the best games to get for the system. I am not really looking to get games that are on other systems unless the game is much better on the XE.(like if Donkey Kong has the pie factory on the XE, then I would buy it, if not, I have it already on the NES)

I got the system off of ebay and the "start" and "select" buttons do not work at all. Is this common? I know the systems works fine cuz I opened it up and I can get the buttons to work by using a wire on the circuit board. I plan on just soldering a new radio shack button to fix this. Is there a "good" way to mount the new buttons?

Someone willing to help out an Atari 8-bit(XE) newbie?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes, donkey kong for the atari 8-bit line is fantastic. it has the cement factory level

the xegs plays most 8-bit carts. there are a few it wont play (the two imagic carts demon attack and atlantis will not work), but it is a fantastic system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never had one in which the Start and Select buttons didn't work. You didn't spend too much on it, did you? You can get these brand new/unopened for $120, and usually used in exc condition for round $60.

I would definitely recommend looking into the SIO2PC interface if you want to try games before purchasing the cart versions. It plugs into the SIO port on the back of all Atari 8-bit computers (including the XE) and will allow you to hook that XE right to your PC and run downloaded game images. I use it on my 800XL and it works great. I still collect carts of course, but it is nice to try them before going and making a purchase. Not only that, but a whole world of other software and games that were not on cart is opened up to you. Check them out:

www.atarimax.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Ya I am pretty sure the xe plays all the atari computer carts. I bought an xe once and in the box were a ton of atari 800 games. They also made games specific to the xe, they seem to be harder to find and more expensive though.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a few that only work in older models as far as I remember. I think some of the K-Byte games were incompatible.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    I have never had one in which the Start and Select buttons didn't work. You didn't spend too much on it, did you? You can get these brand new/unopened for $120, and usually used in exc condition for round $60.

I would definitely recommend looking into the SIO2PC interface if you want to try games before purchasing the cart versions. It plugs into the SIO port on the back of all Atari 8-bit computers (including the XE) and will allow you to hook that XE right to your PC and run downloaded game images. I use it on my 800XL and it works great. I still collect carts of course, but it is nice to try them before going and making a purchase. Not only that, but a whole world of other software and games that were not on cart is opened up to you. Check them out:

www.atarimax.com
    Thanks for the link to atarimax. Which cart should I get for the XE? I just want a good multicart that is simple to use. I got the Atari 2600 SD cart and absolutely love the thing.

I paid $40 for just the system(with power supply), the gun, a few commons, one gray controller(just like the 2600 controller). I should have just bought a new one, oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sent you a PM with more info. You are better off using the SIO2PC USB interface with the XE in my personal opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got an XEGS a few weeks ago and it's pretty cool.
    Perfect for playing Yoomp!.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pssst!

Atariage.com has a whole forum dedicated to atari 8-bit computers. Also I forget the link but you can browse ANTIC magazine issues online. It was one of the best mags for the 8-bits.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Also I forget the link but you can browse ANTIC magazine issues online.
    http://www.atarimagazines.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice find MachineGex, The XE is a great system to own. I was lucky to find one myself in PAL territory where 8bit atari's are virtually non-existent. Anyway, enjoy your new system

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    There are a few that only work in older models as far as I remember. I think some of the K-Byte games were incompatible.
    Hm, thanks for the tip. I almost bought a big lot of K-Byte carts a while back but the auction got beyond what I was willing to spend. I would have been pretty disappointed if none of them worked... although I guess it would have been an excuse to get an 800xl. ;-)

Oh, and I love my XEGS. Great system.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The XE doesn't get the attention it deserves. It's like owning a 5200 except you have a decent controller and the library is far larger.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~