Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Default Requesting CGE 2K10 museum criticism

I'm looking for any kind of constructive criticism and observations of the museum this past year, and suggestions for what would make it better next year.

I have already heard someone say they wish there had been more museum cards. And I know there were some major gaps in what we had displayed, most of which came out after the NES. If anyone has any other comments, they would be greatly appreciated and make for a better display at future CGE's.
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 08-10-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

This is not really a criticism, but more of a suggestion/request. I would like to see more store kiosk units and displays. This brings me a very warm nostalgic feeling for the systems I used to see in the store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Another suggestion and not a criticism. If at all possible, it would be neat to see some of these items being demoed even if only once. I know this isn't practical for everything, but seeing an Intellivision Keyboard Unit or Color Vectrex in action would be very cool.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, that would be VERY cool.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

* Put cards near items. For things like the NES case there were ~15 items in the case and the cards weren't near the items mentioned. That goes along with the card for each item complaint too.

* Systems should be on if possible, even if not playable. A game title screen or intro can have a big impact. My group was pretty much NES only, so seeing a Vectrex in action would be great. Yes that means a lot more electricity/tvs in that room.

* Some items should be playable. If there is a super rare game, it can be secured in the system but still have access to the controller. Might be harder with the no touch policy.

* More plain items. I don't know the history of many consoles so even just showing the production one next to something that is rare would be important. That way it is more video game history than just stuff you can't afford

* Hopefully what is happening here, more planning in advance. I have far more cool NES stuff than I could bring but need more notice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think my only criticism is that more of these things are not in MY collection. ;-)
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seconding the live demos for items that can sustain it. You could fill a whole extra schedule track with donators/experts just running through the hookup/startup/game demo sequences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

First of all loved the museum and it is one of my favorite parts of the show. I think just more descriptions of everything is needed. There was some AMAZING stuff in the museum, I just feel that if more was explained about the unique pieces, it would help showcase how amazing the collection of items was. I have said this before and I will say it again. There needs to be more communication sent out months ahead of time for collectors to bring rare items to the event. I brought rare items in a packed RV for the museum only to see that there were duplicates at the show. It would be nice to just have more organization next year for such an amazing showcase of unique game items.
    Last edited by swlovinist; 08-10-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As always, I enjoyed the museum for the few brief visits I made. The biggest complaint I have is that even after volunteering to bring items, it wasn't until a few days before that I had any sort of contact to let me know if my items were wanted or not. If I had more notice, I could have probably come up with a way to get more there. That seemed to be a common theme among the other folks I talked to that were bringing items.

My only other issue that it's the same items every year. Granted, those items are very nice and something that most CGE go'ers will rarely see, but I'd like to see some more variety. I tried to bring things I hadn't brought before, just to mix it up a bit. With the collector community moving into the 16-bit era it would be cool to see more of the 90's consoles and rarities.

I do like the idea of having some sort of interactivity in the museum. As an exhibitor, I don't think I'd want my consoles being left on the whole time for everybody to pick up and play. But I would be willing to do a couple of live demos or something similar. Perhaps have a small section of the museum or even a small room adjacent where items can be hooked up and demonstrated. I'd love to listen to people that are subject matter experts talk about their various rarities or even consoles that are just uncommon.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Copy/paste from Vectrexer's thread...

The pile of un-watched, un-managed bags at the door of the museum was a bit scary.

Sure, the valuable museum items were protected ... but there was nothing preventing another CGE'er from either accidentally or purposely snagging anybody elses bag on their way out.

One person with one bag-check table and a set of 50 or so numbered clothes-pins (or something similar - the bag gets one tag and the person the bag belongs to gets a matching tag) could've put a lot of people's minds at ease.

Not to diminish the monetary value of any single item in the museum, but I'm sure some of us had hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise in our bags (ironically, there were even a few booths that had the same items for sale that were on display in the museum) ... and if you weren't a vendor that had a table to put your bag behind, walking around the museum while your bag of valuables sat precariously, un-watched by the door (from what I could tell, the guard wasn't watching who took what only that people didn't bring bags in) prevented (for some) a high level of enjoyment or time spent in the museum.

Next year a bag-check person is the way to go.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    I'd love to listen to people that are subject matter experts talk about their various rarities or even consoles that are just uncommon.
    I'm not sure this belongs in the museum discussion anymore, but...

That's an interesting idea. Maybe having people demo and talk about their console of choice. It would be nice to hear an uber expert explain all the ins and outs of of system while showing off the best it has to offer. While I'm sure we all know about the common consoles, there are tons of obscure ones out there that many people don't even know about. I know I'd gladly demo systems like the Arcadia 2001/MPT-03 or Videobrain for people if they were interested.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I'm not sure this belongs in the museum discussion anymore, but...

That's an interesting idea. Maybe having people demo and talk about their console of choice. It would be nice to hear an uber expert explain all the ins and outs of of system while showing off the best it has to offer. While I'm sure we all know about the common consoles, there are tons of obscure ones out there that many people don't even know about. I know I'd gladly demo systems like the Arcadia 2001/MPT-03 or Videobrain for people if they were interested.

Tempest
    I think it can be tied to the museum. I'm not advocating an hour long discussion/demo or anything like that (don't want to compete with the celebrities). But a 15 or 20 minute session that shows an item from the museum being used would be of interest to me. I would make it a requirement that the items being demonstrated would have to be in the museum prior to and after the demonstration so that people can get a good look at them.

Like yourself, I have a number of rare systems that I could bring and would run a demonstation on. I think it would be a good way to meet others that are interested in the same things as I am while helping show people that may not know as much as we do that there is more to collecting than 2600 and NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking the same thing Tempest suggested. I don't know that there should be specific requirements for this (let Team DP figure that out), but I would've loved to hear more about the Vectrex stuff, for instance. That display was fucking awesome.

I'll also echo the suggestion for a more organized bag check area. The first thing I hit when the show opened was the museum and came with thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment. The shitty fake cop security guard asked that I put my equipment off to the side which I complied with. Concerned about my equipment I asked if my stuff was safe or if he could watch it while monitoring the museum. He gave me an attitude and proceeded to follow me around. Since the museum wasn't big I could keep an eye on it, but anyone could've grabbed it and lost me in the maze that is the Trop. What a dick. Needless to say I had some well placed verbal jabs for that asshole.

Besides that, the museum was my favorite part of the show. It seriously outclassed any museum I've seen at competing events. Bravo!
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Having running displays would be pretty nice, and I'd certainly contribute some NES and Famicom/FDS games with which to show off the regional differences.

I must admit in retrospect that I should have chimed in and contributed my Game Boy Light and Super NES Play Action Replay 2 to the museum, and probably even my SFC.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one thing I do enjoy see in the museum is the fanzines and magazine which is the backbone of video gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

There was no beer in the museum.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I'm looking for any kind of constructive criticism and observations of the museum this past year, and suggestions for what would make it better next year.

I have already heard someone say they wish there had been more museum cards. And I know there were some major gaps in what we had displayed, most of which came out after the NES.

Both of the above are my are my primary criticisms. Followed by 98PaceCars comment about contributors and their late notification on things.

I'm not against people doing talks about the stuff, to really put things into perspective but live demos are a bit much. Putting that many people into the museum at once, would make it hard for things to be watched very well.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 08-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    I'm not against people doing talks about the stuff, to really put things into perspective but live demos are a bit much. Putting that many people into the museum at once, would make it hard for things to be watched very well.
    I think a room the size of the trade room would work perfect for this. Really it's just a way to take the museum to the next level. It's a big part of cge, but for me (and I assume other frequent cge attendees), it's grown a bit stale. If people are willing to take the time to demo something, why not try to accommodate that?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If someone is enough of an expert to do a talk and demo, why not make it in the speaker panel room? 15 minute demo plus 15 minute QA could be scheduled in for major systems. It would already be set up for speaking, just need to move selected items that will be presented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

with the size of the museum room and its arrangement, a demo area could easily be setup in the far end of the room.

id love to see the intellivision keyboard component working, along with the sega neptune (assuming it was a working prototype) and other oddities