Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Thank you everyone! These comments are great and will certainly make for a better museum next year.

Insert Coin (Level 0) bohproper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

. . . . .
    Last edited by bohproper; 08-11-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) bohproper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

srry...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bohproper View Post
    i whole heartedly agree!!!!! i had some treasures in my bag myself not to mention my wallet
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Copy/paste from Vectrexer's thread...

The pile of un-watched, un-managed bags at the door of the museum was a bit scary.

Sure, the valuable museum items were protected ... but there was nothing preventing another CGE'er from either accidentally or purposely snagging anybody elses bag on their way out.

One person with one bag-check table and a set of 50 or so numbered clothes-pins (or something similar - the bag gets one tag and the person the bag belongs to gets a matching tag) could've put a lot of people's minds at ease.

Not to diminish the monetary value of any single item in the museum, but I'm sure some of us had hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise in our bags (ironically, there were even a few booths that had the same items for sale that were on display in the museum) ... and if you weren't a vendor that had a table to put your bag behind, walking around the museum while your bag of valuables sat precariously, un-watched by the door (from what I could tell, the guard wasn't watching who took what only that people didn't bring bags in) prevented (for some) a high level of enjoyment or time spent in the museum.

Next year a bag-check person is the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I have already heard someone say they wish there had been more museum cards.
    I try to keep up with this on my items (mostly the handheld games display, but I had a few other things scattered around the room). Since I knew I'd be 'finding' things up to the last minute, I started printing my own cards out just so I'd have some info with them...

But I did notice that a lot of the cards (even some of my own) would just have a title. 'Rare 2600 variation' or something. I try to include a little paragraph describing the item, I think the cards for the CGE owned museum should be updated at least to include some more info... If someone brings something, and no info is provided, it's hard to know what to put on the card I'd imagine... Unless there's a website about it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Another suggestion and not a criticism. If at all possible, it would be neat to see some of these items being demoed even if only once. I know this isn't practical for everything, but seeing an Intellivision Keyboard Unit or Color Vectrex in action would be very cool.
    Sadly, the color Vec is in a temporary state of not-working... It needs a new high-voltage transformer for the CRT, but it's a different one than a normal Vec, and I've had a hard time finding one. I'm pretty sure I can get one that will simply power the tube, but it may not react properly to the circuitry to actually change colors. But I do think it's time to get it working again... If I get lucky, maybe in time for next year...

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    This is not really a criticism, but more of a suggestion/request. I would like to see more store kiosk units and displays. This brings me a very warm nostalgic feeling for the systems I used to see in the store.
    These are cool, but they are difficult to transport (esp for people driving in cars or flying). I have a Dreamcast kiosk I was going to bring, but I couldn't fit it in the car... I'll get a bigger vehicle next year!

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyboy View Post
    * Put cards near items. For things like the NES case there were ~15 items in the case and the cards weren't near the items mentioned. That goes along with the card for each item complaint too.
    Yeah, the large cards don't work with stuff crammed in the glass cases... Maybe we should have a smaller format card for the cases or something. At the very least, put a little number on/next to each item, and then a description list next to the case.

* Systems should be on if possible, even if not playable. A game title screen or intro can have a big impact. My group was pretty much NES only, so seeing a Vectrex in action would be great. Yes that means a lot more electricity/tvs in that room.
    Was the Vectrex on in the museum? I honestly can't remember now, but we usually have one turned on. (Of course, there was a playable one in the main room... )

* Some items should be playable. If there is a super rare game, it can be secured in the system but still have access to the controller. Might be harder with the no touch policy.
    I think if we were to try this, there should be one table (or one corner, etc) with stuff that 'can be touched'. Maybe some of the old magazines and books could be put there as well, if the owners don't mind them being pawed through... But touchable items throughout the museum is probably not a good idea. That way it's easy to see if someone even reaches for the table, you know they are doing something wrong.

* More plain items. I don't know the history of many consoles so even just showing the production one next to something that is rare would be important. That way it is more video game history than just stuff you can't afford
    Space permitting, it would be neat to start each section with the final retail version. For Atari 2600 (for example), have a normal 2600 and it's box (maybe powered up on a TV) showing what everyone remembers having in their living room (this could even be a good place the kiosk if one is available). Follow that with tables of rarities and prototypes, etc... I think it's a good idea to show/remind everyone what we actually owned, and what it took to get there (or where it might have gone).

And we definitely need to find a way to hang things on the walls! We also had some mobiles or other hanging displays, it would be neat if those could be assembled and hung from the ceiling somehow (assuming the hotel wouldn't freak out...) Non-destructive of course, but there has to be a way...

Rik

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked the museum this year

Insert Coin (Level 0) RetroGaming Roundup's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I'm looking for any kind of constructive criticism and observations of the museum this past year, and suggestions for what would make it better next year.

I have already heard someone say they wish there had been more museum cards. And I know there were some major gaps in what we had displayed, most of which came out after the NES. If anyone has any other comments, they would be greatly appreciated and make for a better display at future CGE's.
    Our radio show recently attended MAGFEST in the D.C. area, which has over 3,000 attendees, 110 games in the arcade and a 10,000sqft console room. The event is massive to say the least. Since I live only an hour away MAGFEST sent a big rig to my house and I provided 25 games and 5 pins sponsored by our show. For the museum I provided my Pong and Computer Space. The museum is pretty new to them and I wrote up some feedback and I used CGE as a model for museums. Their main failing was security and I made it clear that I would bring something big, but nothing that could be carried out unless they get to CGE standards. So all things considered the CGE museum is the model.

It is my understanding that CGE owns or posses in storage a Computer Space. I have done restorations on this game (you can see mine in the pics I attached the link for) and can offer to do what I can to get the CGE Computer Space in museum condition. There are allot of unknowns but if I can get as much info and pics as possible I can come up with a plan. I usually arrive quite a few days before CGE and could dedicate some time to this.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/magfest/

-Scott
    Last edited by RetroGaming Roundup; 02-02-2011 at 06:24 AM.
    Check out our show at www.RetroGamingRoundup.com

We LOVE CGE