Thread: Street Fighter II DOS Trouble

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Street Fighter II DOS Trouble

PROBLEM SOLVED

Hello there. I would need help about the DOS version of Street Fighter 2. I have 2 problem

1. I can hear only sound and no music (even if i click on ''SF2'' located on the floppy disk drive).

2. When I click on ''Game Start'' the game is asking me something like this

'' Please enter word (random number) on page (random number) line (random number)''

I do not understand why it does this (The instruction manual is garbage)

I have the Original game, 3 1/2 Floppy Disk

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by Glitchologteam; 08-30-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can't help you with the sound issue but the '' Please enter word (random number) on page (random number) line (random number)'' message is an old anti-piracy measure. You need the instruction booklet to get passed that, just look up in the manual what the message is asking you and then type the answer in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you using DOSBox? Because you probably should.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks you so much todesengel, I can now play the game!

But I still have the Music issues. In the game option, I have put Soundblaster Card but I only have sound during fights, no music. I can also enable PC Speaker but the music and sound quality is slugglish

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Are you using DOSBox? Because you probably should.
    I am playing the game on a 2001 Intel Pentium 3 Computer with Windows 98 as the OS. Im able to play my other DOS game without issues (ChessMaster4000 Turbo edition made in 1994) but it is a CD Game

Street Fighter II is my only floppy game thought

Also note: The game take much less time to load than some video Ive seen about this game. I don'T know if it mean something important

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchologteam View Post
    Thanks you so much todesengel, I can now play the game!
    No problem, glad I could help you out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am playing the game on a 2001 Intel Pentium 3 Computer with Windows 98 as the OS. Im able to play my other DOS game without issues (ChessMaster4000 Turbo edition made in 1994) but it is a CD Game

Street Fighter II is my only floppy game thought
    The advantage to DOSBox is that at least there's a much smaller list of things that could need changing.

Can you get music in other DOS games? Perhaps SFII has some configuration utility you need to run?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Windows 98 is probably far enough removed from the DOS for which Street Fighter II was designed that it needs to be running on a system with 6.22 (and not 7.0). Even back then, I had problems getting Sound Blaster support in some games with Windows 7.0. IIRC, I was running SF2 Turbo Edition for DOS on a 6.22 system back in the day.

Jorpho is correct - you should be using DOSBox...unless you're going to go with a full-on 6.22 system. But who wants to fool around with MEMMAKER when you have DOSBox?
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most DOS games work on any version of DOS, so no, I doubt that the fact that it's Win98 (which is running on top of DOS of course) could be the reason. I've played a lot of DOS games on my older WinME machine, and the vast, vast majority work just fine -- the only ones that don't are ones with speed problems because they weren't designed to run on fast CPUs, mostly.

The two things I can think of are either that the game doesn't have both SFX and music in game (this did happen in some games), that you can choose one or hte other somewhere, that there's a configuration option you're missing, or that there's a problem...

I just found a copy of the cracked version, that has the long load times that Glitchologteam evidently doesn't have, but does have both music and SFX ingame in Soundblaster mode, in DOSBox that is. Haven't tried it on my old computer yet, but I'd think it would be the same, they generally are. Maybe the actual game is different from the crack? Or are there multiple versions of it?

Or, returning to a question above, are you sure that your sound card in that computer works in DOS? Just because you get audio in Windows doesn't mean that it's working in DOS, after all, the two are different. With my WinME machine, the default WinME drivers for the SBLive! Value card in it didn't give me any SB sound in DOS. I only got that sound when I installed the Win98 drivers that also came with the computer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WIN98 is good but can interfere with DOS memory and sound drivers. A separate removable bootable DOS 6.22 drive is the best way. That is if you can get all the drivers working on your PC. CHOICE command in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT can be used for different memory configurations. HIMEM, HIEMS and CLEAN BOOT.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to play the game on both the Windows desktop and MS-DOS (going here when you are about to close the computer , there is a option going to MS-DOS

My Chessmaster4000 turbo edition play fine, with the sound and music.

For now, im gonna try another game I have found recently, Warcraft orc and human and ill check if the game has both sound and music

I would really like to play the game on a old computer and not using the emulator, but If i dont have choice...¸

Also, I remember installing Warcraft 1 on my XP computer and use a dosbox emulator. Having wasted some hour on it, I have never been able to have sound or music.
    EDIT: Warcraft 1 cannot play music at all. By checking the Computer System, my Windows 98 is a deuxième édition (probaly the same thing as the Second Edition)
    EDIT 2: I don't really know how to use DOS except for installing and playing game.
    I REALLY HOPE that there is a way to play the game with music on my old WIN98SE , I really HOPE so
    Last edited by Glitchologteam; 08-30-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Windows 98 is probably far enough removed from the DOS for which Street Fighter II was designed that it needs to be running on a system with 6.22 (and not 7.0).
    Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    WIN98 is good but can interfere with DOS memory and sound drivers. A separate removable bootable DOS 6.22 drive is the best way.
    No, no, no. Running something from an MS-DOS session within Win9x might have problems, but reboot into MS-DOS mode and you might as well be running 6.22 again.

@Glitchologteam: Try the setblast utility from http://sirjohn.de/hotu-community/pub/tools/sound/ . Can you get that to work properly?

Also, is your card really a genuine Sound Blaster? Do you have the actual Sound Blaster drivers?
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 08-30-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im trying to send the file to my old computer but the old comp say he don't regonize the file.

I attemped to tranfer it from a floppy disk since my old comp do not have any internet acess

How can I know if i have sound blaster drivers?, Im not very good with the windows computer

EDIT: Im able to run the Setblaster program, but it seem to only test sound, and not music
    EDIT 2: strange, since ive run the setblaster program, any game I attempt to run on DOS lock up at the beginning
    Last edited by Glitchologteam; 08-30-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why boot WIN98, exit to reboot DOS mode for a crippled DOS 7 version? A dedicated DOS 6.22 drive still the best quickest way. This is workable if you have a removable dedicated bootable DOS 6.22 drive.

I have separate removable drives of:
    1. DOS 6.22 with WIN Workgroups
    2. WIN98 SE
    3. WINXP PRO Service Pack 3

The main DOS headache is getting drivers to work on a computer much newer then DOS, in particular the Sound Drivers.

This should be in your AUTOEXEC.BAT
    The SET SOUND points to Sound Blaster directory, in this case the Sound Blaster AWE32.

SET SOUND=C:\SB32AWE\CTSND
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 08-30-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how the heck can you do this?, Like ive said earlier in the post, I don't know much about DOS and Windows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how the heck can you do this?, Like ive said earlier in the post, I don't know much about DOS and Windows
    WIN98 METHOD

Run DOS games outside of WIN98 enviroment. Windows may be interfering with DOS sound drivers.

Right now the no cost way with what you have as Jorpho pointed out. Exit WIN98 not just prompt, but to reboot to DOS. F8 during intial bootup might get you there quicker. Choose DOS, from that point you are at command line.

CD\SB16 Whatever folder your soundcard drivers are in.
    SETSOUND as you did earlier.

After a reboot, again to DOS mode not WIN98.
    Now CD\SFII Folder where your streetfighter is installed.

DIR/W/P Find and then type in the EXE file

------------------------------

Dual Boot partitions - Don't bother, its a pain.

------------------------------

DOS 6.22 METHOD

Same sound card procedure above but a dedicated removable internal IDE Drive. Actually two trays needed. One for DOS6.22, other for your Windows. DOS 6.22 and sound card drivers reinstalled. Now you have a drive completely clean of any Windows.

Last edited by CRTGAMER; 08-30-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don'T evne know what my sound driver folder is, I have been searching for a while and I didn't found it

this is getting to get complicated and I do not understand anything. Is there a simplier with more instruction way to acheive what I want , MUSIC in the game? Now, I cant even select soundblaster in the option of sf2 without the game crashing
    Last edited by Glitchologteam; 08-30-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you DOS reboot? Very important to be rebooted to DOS.

You should have a c:\ prompt.

DIR/W/P will list the entire drive.

Since you have WIN98, The sound driver folder might be in the C:\PROGRA~1 directory.

CD\ to the appropriate directory. For subfolders CD (Space and Name).

Look for SB or or SBPRO or SB16 or SB32AWE folder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Again, what sound card do you actually have? It's a very important question, for DOS audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Why boot WIN98, exit to reboot DOS mode for a crippled DOS 7 version?
    Sir, DOS 7 is not the least bit crippled!
    this is getting to get complicated and I do not understand anything. Is there a simplier with more instruction way to acheive what I want , MUSIC in the game?
    You really might be better off with DOSBox.

Let's start with something simple: What exactly is in your autoexec.bat and config.sys right now?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Semone at another forum helped me throught webcam to Run Street fighter II on DOSBox and everything worked. When I wanted to try warcraft however, the sound worked, but still not the music