Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Default Opinions on Sonic Blast for Game Gear

Ok so a lot of people don't like this Sonic game as much as the other four sidescrolling Sonic games before it on Game Gear. I found it quite enjoyable as it's the Game Gear's equivalent to having a Sonic & Knuckles since those are the characters you get.

The problem I am coming across is it's rarity. Since it was one of the last Game Gear games ever to be released and most people moved on from the system and didn't buy it, it seems to be harder to find, especially complete.

Every time I try to look online for a complete copy of the game, I'm lucky if I even see more than a few loose copies. Are the box and instructions for this game really that much rarer than other game gear games?

But let's go even beyond that. It seems most Game Gear games are harder to find complete than most other common systems I've seen (unless the particular title had been re-released by majesco like Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos and Sonic Spinball). Either everyone always threw their boxes away or somebody is hoarding them all for themselves.

So what does everyone think about Game Gear in general as a system, about Sonic Blast as a video game, or have to say about the CIB shortage when it comes to collecting for the system? I'm curious how many other people are having as much of a problem finding the complete game as I am. It can't be as bad as the US copy of Sonic 1 for SMS can it?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found a loose copy of Sonic Blast for the GG in a thrift shop a few months ago, it seems like a rarer release but not insanely rare. I also just finished it a few weeks ago and didn't care for it, I thought it was completely average at best.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    So what does everyone think about Game Gear in general as a system
    For my birthday, when I was just a wee lad, my parents gave me two choices for my present: GameBoy or Game Gear. I chose GameBoy and have yet to regret the decision.

Recently, after finding a used system at a local bookstore, I have been more interested in collecting Game Gear and its many games, but honestly, the horrible battery life is such a downside to this system. Game Gear had so much potential and it would have been great if it had lasted longer than it did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly never really cared for it. I sort of thought of it as proof that graphics don't make a game. To be fair though, I honestly don't remember why I didn't like the game.

And yeah, I don't own any of the boxes from my Game Gear games as I didn't think about saving them back then. I only have two instruction booklets, but neither is Sonic Blast's.
    I have a sig?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I like Sonic Blast personally, the character models feel a little big and clunky but otherwise it's a pretty enjoyable game. Not the best Sonic game on Game Gear, but not the worst.

Thing is with the Sonic games on Game Gear is that everyone has a different opinion on which are good and which are bad. I hate Sonic Triple Trouble because of the slowdown, but I love Sonic Chaos. I also like Sonic 2 more than Triple Trouble and most hate that one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

I just picked this up on Friday for $3 (loose) at a flea market. Sadly, I don't have a Game Gear to try it out on right now.

As far as the CIB shortage, I'd blame that on the Game Boy. When I was a kid, I had a Game Boy. You know why? It was cheaper. My mom didn't care about game selection or features, her only concern was price.

Game Gear sold less units = sold less games = less CIB's available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

i didnt think it was that bad either..not my favorite...but it was ok..

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually always wanted it on the Sega Master System to complete my Master System Sonic collection. I've emulated,it's alright, but I do prefer the Genesis Sonic games.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    I've actually always wanted it on the Sega Master System to complete my Master System Sonic collection. I've emulated,it's alright, but I do prefer the Genesis Sonic games.
    Yeah I hear the Master System version is even harder to find at all. even cart only because it was only released in Brazil for SMS.

As far as the Game Gear system goes, I enjoyed that one the most when I was camping. It was the one system I could play in the dark without a flashlight. I pretty much only had Sonic games, X-Men 1, and Bust-A-Move back then though. I usually played Game Boy during the day and switched to Game Gear at night, but also spent a lot of time just listening to my cassette walkman too. Playing tape mixes I made from my cds. At home, I usually played Game Gear plugged in to the wall because I knew about its battery life.

Most of the Sega systems I owned just because they had their own versions of Sonic related games. The only one that doesn't really have its own unique Sonic games is the SMS because it was older than Sonic and they just gave it the Game Gear ports with some altered graphics. After a while of owning each though, I have found a lot of non-Sonic Sega only versions of games that I enjoyed.

I wish someone would make a Game Gear clone that played GG carts on the TV. One of the things I think that scares off collectors is that the games are confined to a handheld system that is a leaky capacitor timebomb.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 09-06-2010 at 04:06 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Sonic Blast is a decent enough game on its own. The level design is pretty creative. They put too much emphasis on fancy graphics though. Problem is, the characters control like tanks. The game is sluggish for a Sonic game. The other four 8-bit Sonic sidescrollers are much better games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    As far as the CIB shortage, I'd blame that on the Game Boy. When I was a kid, I had a Game Boy. You know why? It was cheaper. My mom didn't care about game selection or features, her only concern was price.

Game Gear sold less units = sold less games = less CIB's available
    Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that it was a portable system, and much like the Gameboy, most people keep the system and the carts inside one of those carry-all things and toss the box and manuals.

But yeah, Sonic Blast... I never got it, since I dropped out of Game Gear before it came out, but it looked better than the console versions. Isn't it unlockable on Sonic Adventure DX?

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that it was a portable system, and much like the Gameboy, most people keep the system and the carts inside one of those carry-all things and toss the box and manuals.

But yeah, Sonic Blast... I never got it, since I dropped out of Game Gear before it came out, but it looked better than the console versions. Isn't it unlockable on Sonic Adventure DX?
    Yeah the rom is on Sonic Adventure DX but it usually unlocks near the end which means you have to complete some of the most frustrating of the missions to get far enough to unlock it. The easy way to get it on a remake is just buy Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2 or Xbox.

I've got all of those methods and an original Game Gear cartridge, but I won't be happy with it till I track down a complete in box copy. It's only supposed to be an R4 so maybe it's the fact that there are a bunch of Sonic collectors out there who even collect games for systems they don't own because they're big Sonic fans. I posted on Sonic Retro and so far nobody has said they were willing to give theirs up. I may try other Sonic forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would consider myself a Sonic collector, and the only Sonic Game Gear game that I have complete in box is Sonic 2 (but then again, it is easier than hell to get one of those).