Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 25 Intellivision Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my top 20 intellivision would be baseball,biplanes,treasue of tarmine,atlantis,river raid worm whomper,super golf,wrestling,skiing,

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Intellivision Top 25

Numerical listing is only for keeping track of titles, not any respective order:

1. Astrosmash (Simplicity is addictive)
    2. Burgertime (Obviously)
    3. Diner (The best sequel to any game on any platform) that could have ever been conceived)
    4. Tower of Doom (Successfully molds the first two D&D games; soundtrack from Thunder Castle would have been perfect)
    5. Beauty and the Beast (Donkey Kong done RIGHT)
    6. Major League Baseball (or World Championship Baseball for 1 player version)
    7. NFL Football (or Super Pro for 1 player)
    8. Slam Dunk (clearly outclasses NBA B-Ball to the point NBA doesn't merit mention; stat keeping and drafting of players ahead of it's time)
    9. Demon Attack (because of the demon fortress)
    10. Atlantis (Night-time scene)
    11. Thunder Castle (Because of the soundtrack, intro screens, and colorful graphics)
    12. Dreadnaught Factor (Great concept and gameplay; ships look like Star Destroyers)
    13. Body Slam (Awesome gameplay and concept)
    14. Hover Force
    15. Motocross or Stadium Mud Buggies (very similar)
    16. Popeye (underrated conversion shows Parker Bros was at least TRYING)
    17. Donkey Kong, Jr (makes up somewhat for the infamous first DK)
    18. Snafu (incredible concept)
    19. Sea Battle (Great strategy)
    20. Utopia (Civilization .5)
    21. Shark! Shark!
    22. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
    23. AD&D Treasure of Tarmin
    24. B-17 Bomber
    25. Bump 'n' Jump
    26. Microsurgeon (pioneering game concept, not only in gameplay, but also in one of the first noticeable "easter eggs", the programmer's name "rick")
    27. Thin Ice
    28. Congo Bongo (surprising, I know, but like Popeye above, it shows that Sego was at least trying, even including the animated intro and the end when the guy burns the ape)
    29. World Series Baseball on ECS (haven't played it extensively, but it shows the direction Intellivision was heading if it hadn't been for the Crash)
    30. Worm Whomper

Other games worth mention:

Ice Trek
    Lock 'n' Chase
    Pac-Man
    Space Battle
    Space Hawk
    Space Armada
    Space Spartans
    World Cup Soccer
    Triple Action
    Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack
    Mind Strike
    He-Man

A quick run of the WORST games:

1. Donkey Kong (DUH! I've seen Carl Mueller Jr's updated screens of DKINTY and they show a clear improvement over this crap)
    2. Kool-Aid Man
    3. Turbo (more crap from Coleco)
    4. Zaxxon (STILL more crap from Coleco)
    5. Pole Position (one of INTV's rare misses)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

So Briantium.

The fact that you've listed 40 great titles and just 5 bad ones leads me to believe that you like Intellivision. Which means we like you too. Hope you'll introduce yourself here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

<-- is smart!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Walter Simard; 11-30-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My favorite Intellivision game is....

Utopia. And to be honest I never played it on the Intellivision. I played it on the Aquarius System. Me and my friend would set up for hours playing that game. I even went so far as to buy copy of it off of ebay but I don't have an intellivision yet to play it on!

Is it one of the games that's featured on the new Intellivision 25 game controller?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really think people should consider SEA BATTLE, this game was one of the most amazing multi-player games on a system famous for multi-player games. It involves strategy and provides for amazing range of possibilities with all the ship classes. Also, (though probably not in addition to SEA BATTLE) ARMOR BATTLE was a wonderful multi-player title, though I would defer to anyone else's opinion on this one. Furthermore I further second the motions to add one of the BASEBALL titles to the list perhaps MLB, these game really were ahead of their time, the key pad overlays that allowed for selection of players really I think put them ahead of similiar titles released even on much later systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BOMB SQUAD! That game pwned! It was like...... being a terrorist, before that title even existed!

The game made no sense, at least not to me when I was 4. I just got the scissors and put random pieces in, I thought it was funny as hell whenever that city blew up.

Yes, after having woke up from my epilepsy induced coma from the screen with all those weird flashing characters, I actually managed to cut some wires, put some *fun* pieces in, and blew a ton of crap up. I seriously that that was the point of the game, to blow stuff up, because you're the BOMB squad, not the bomb removal squad!

But anyway, Bomb Squad. End of discussion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Intellivision games?

So, I have an Intellivision and a handful of games. Most of them just aren't very fun.. The only one I am enjoying right now is Night Stalker.

Anyway.. What are, in your opinion, the best games for the Intellivision?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

"Eternal Popcorn" (Honestly?... This probably isn't worth clicking.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like Tron deadly discs and Tron maze-a-tron.

Advanced dungeons and dragons (the first one) was really good as well (haven't played much of treasure of tarmin)

Bump and Jump, burgertime, thin ice, and carnival are really good arcade ports as well.

-mike

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Burger Time is awesome.

Lock 'n Chase is Pac-Manish, but is different enough to be amusing and maintains some of its own unique charm.

I loved Thunder Castle as a kid, but haven't played it in years. So I'm not sure if I just remember it as fun, or if it really IS fun. (I enjoyed Night Salker as a kid too--so maybe Thunder Castle would hold up for you.)

Astrosmash is kind of like Asteroids from a Space Invaders perspective. If you like either of those games, than you might get a kick out of this one.

Snafu is fun for the music alone--even better if you have someone to play it with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snafu and Utopia are my favorites. Also like Night Stalker.

The question I have, am I the only one who enjoyed Utopia?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beauty and the Beast is worth a mention too. I think it's just a Crazy Climber ripoff (never played that one so I can't say for sure) and it's got a little Donkey Kong in it as well. It's a fast paced game that still retains some of its fun and challenge.

I've never played Utopia--so I don't what I think of that one. Screenshots always made it look like there was a lot going on. I always assumed it was like the game Risk. Am I even close?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Veepa View Post
    So, I have an Intellivision and a handful of games. Most of them just aren't very fun.. The only one I am enjoying right now is Night Stalker.

Anyway.. What are, in your opinion, the best games for the Intellivision?
    If you're a fan of Homestarrunner.com and it's beloved 80's fictional (yet real!) arcade throwback "Trogdor" ... check out "Thunder Castle" ... I've met the Brothers Chaps and I'm still kicking myself for NOT asking them about the MORE than striking resmblance that this game has to our S-shaped "bunanating" dragon friend.

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Dreadnaught Factor, Loco-Motion / Happy Trails, Diner (Burgertime 'sequel'), and Safecracker are all pretty fun games.

Much of the Intellivision library is available on compilations - Intellivision Lives! (various platforms) and Intellivision Rocks! (PC-only), as well as the 25-in-1 / 10-in-1 direct to TV handhelds.
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Games I can play for hours: Diner and Astrosmash!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

My complete list of fuckin' awesome Inty games:

-Astrosmash
    -Space Hawk
    -Night Stalker
    -Utopia
    -Shark! Shark!
    -AD&D: Clody Mountain
    -All Tron titles
    -BurgerTime
    -Bump & Jump
    -SNAFU
    -Vectron
    -Bomb Squad
    -B-17 Bomber
    -Buzz Bombers
    -Swords & Serpents
    -Beauty and the Beast

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Burgertime
    SNAFU
    Utopia
    Beauty and the Beast
    Popeye
    Tron Deadly Discs
    Astrosmash
    Night Stalker
    Atlantis
    He-Man
    Kool-aid Man
    Frogger
    Mouse Trap!!
    Carnival
    Auto Racing
    NFL Football
    Las Vegas Poker

A few that do not belong on the list; Space Hawk, Maze-a-Tron, and Boxing. Boxing wasn't responsive enough.
    As far as my own top 20 lists go, you'll never see such a diverse group of games as you do on the INTV. That's the system I grew up with and sometimes I had to play the games that were on sale. That's not something I do these days.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post SeaBattle must be on there - no argument possible.

I'm surprised at this list. I'm a rabid Intellivision fan since 1981, I have my main system plus 3 backups and I play regularly. But even I would have only estimated about 5 great games. So I'm blown away that you guys have trouble with a 25 game limit. I see you guys having fun with games I haven't given a fair chance, so I'm inspired to explore those. Isn't that great?

Part of the argument over the list depends on your point of view. Are you looking at Astrosmash with your 1981 eyes when you were five years old? It might have been good then, but to my 1981 eyes, when I was 21 years old, Astrosmash was totally lame. I look at the list from the point of view of games that still hold up, that are still fun and I continue to play. Thus Tron Deadly Discs was good at one time but no longer holds up.

* * * G R E A T G A M E S * * *
    SeaBattle should be the #1 Intellivision game of all time. SeaBattle is a game that still astounds. It’s very challenging but can be picked up, with concerted effort, in an afternoon. The more you play the better you can get, I love that. Gameplay is way intense and unbelievable fun. Deep rule set. Excellent use of the sophisticated controller, making use of the 16 directions, both action buttons, the overlay, and the entire numeric keypad. This game shows why Intellivision is a hobby system, not a toy. No question, it’s got to be on any “best of” list, even if the list is only one title long.

Mind Strike – requires the ECS. This is another game that still stands tall and proud today. Even standing next to arcade versions of Defender, Robotron 2084, etc, this game holds up as one of the best video games ever. Again: extremely intense and unbelievably fun game play, deep rule set, use of the numeric keypad, and room for infinite growth, subject to the skills of your opponent. Successfully blends chess style strategy with intense action. Totally unique game concept blends elements of Chess, Stratego, and Risk. It’s much easier to pick up than Sea Battle but still allows for infinite growth. The intro screen and 6 channel music were mind blowing at the time. 50 unique and exciting screens keep the game fresh. Smoother 3D graphics add appeal.

NBA Basketball: Actually I’ve never played NBA Basketball enough myself, but I knew a ring of guys that played every day. They told me it was an excellent game and that the more you play the better you get. For me that’s a hallmark of a great game.

Snafu – great fun. Simplistic but various options help spice it up. Great sound. I love that tension building rattlesnake hiss it plays while waiting for two snakes to die so it can play that awesome climactic one-on-one theme with the drums.

Loco-Motion – challenging, great sound, unique twist on a familiar concept (the sliding tiles number puzzle), fun, and intense.

Burgertime – just to state the obvious

* * * L O S E R S * * *
    These games may have been good but no longer cut it.
    Major League Baseball: Back then it was glorious and a reason to pay the exorbitant price for this system. It’s fun and has good room for skill growth. But it has a weakness in that the pitcher can usually field the ball and if both players know how to do that the game runs out of gas. So from this late viewpoint it must be dropped even though back then it may have been the #1 game, right after Sea Battle.

Thin Ice – Good but too simplistic

Tron Deadly Discs - fun back then, but too simplistic and too slow to play anymore other than for nostalgic value. Fight three programs, block open doors, kill recognizer. Repeat infinitely. Everybody looks like they are running through molasses.

Worm Whomper - a breakthrough for its time with all of those moving objects on the screen and the smooth and fast game play. But too simplistic. It's just keep on blasting bugs over and over and over, there's no depth.

Slamdunk - I hate sports games with statistics and picking players. That’s so tedious. So I might prefer NBA Basketball. But I don’t even own this game so I just downrate it because those statistics don’t appeal to me and those other guys told me that NBA was good.

Triple Action
    The tanks and race cars are junk. The Bi-planes was excellent for its time, especially when compared to the Atari, but now it’s just an anachronism.

* * * J U N K * * *
    I always considered these games junk, even back then:
    Astrosmash – Compared to the 360 degree excitement of Asteroids, this vertical scrolling game is simply junk. There’s no physics modeling.
    Space Armada – as others said…too ugly.
    Star Strike –too simplistic and too dead end. It only takes 5 minutes to beat it, and once you’ve beat it it’s no longer interesting. The game action with fighting the enemy ships is random and silly.
    Diner – I can’t believe anyone would rate this ugly game in a “best of” list. I bought this on the strength of Burgertime and was horrified when I played it.
    Carnival – ugly graphics and totally lame sound versus the awesome arcade sound ruin this port.

To Veepa: Unfortunately many of the arcade style one player games for Intellivision are not that great. These are good one player games, you need to play them enough to give them a chance: Burgertime, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Lock-n-Chase, Loco-Motion, Shark Shark. But for real Intellivision fun, you need to recruit a friend (I'm available ) to spend some intense late nights for Triple Action Bi-planes, Snafu, Major League Baseball, and Sea Battle (in that order). If you give it a chance, even in 2008 you will see that it’s great, great fun. You'll need the instructions and overlays to play Sea Battle, without them, no chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My personal favorites, in order from 'most loved' all the way down to 'not as heavily played but still fun'.

Mind Strike (I wish my ECS wouldn't black out after a minute so I could play this again)
    Thunder Castle (amazing music and animation, plus a great take on the traditional maze game)
    Tower of Doom (lost a whole lot of hours on this one)
    Diner
    Burgertime
    Thin Ice
    Utopia
    Stadium Mud Buggies
    Bump N' Jump
    Hover Force
    Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack (this game taught me how to play poker)
    Space Spartans
    Shark! Shark!
    AD&D-Cloudy Mountain
    Dig Dug (this game gets on this list for not only being fun, but also having an entire other game hidden inside it, Deadly Dogs)
    Beauty and the Beast
    Motocross
    Pinball
    Astrosmash
    Night Stalker
    Star Strike
    Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man
    Dracula
    Venture
    Auto Racing

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorites
    bump and jump In an era where speed racer was the rage this fit perfectly.
    Football
    the atarisofts were excellent
    Pacman
    Centipede
    defender

I liked
    dungeons and dragons
    neo geo system