Thread: Roland MT-32 and the SC-55 on modern computers

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Roland MT-32 and the SC-55 on modern computers

I'm just curious if anyone has experience using the old MIDI modules (like the Roland MT-32) on their modern PC? I'm planning to get a USB to MIDI cable and run MIDI by that.

I know there's the MT-32 emulator but honestly it's not perfect and it causes problems when I try to use it on the x68000 emulator.

Of course it helps that DOSBox can be config to use the module for nice sound and music.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as you can direct the MIDI output to an external device, it should work fine. I remember playing FF7 with the audio coming out of my Yamaha keyboard via MIDI cable.

Personally, I'd build a DOS rig with an LAPC1 card before I bothered doing it on a modern PC. Less clutter, and probably easier to use.

I'm happy with my AWE64, though. Some people like the awesome sampled sounds of the Rolands, but there's something odd to me about DOS games sounding like that. What games are you planning on playing with this?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    As long as you can direct the MIDI output to an external device, it should work fine. I remember playing FF7 with the audio coming out of my Yamaha keyboard via MIDI cable.
    That can be done in a few seconds via DOSbox.

Personally, I'd build a DOS rig with an LAPC1 card before I bothered doing it on a modern PC. Less clutter, and probably easier to use.
    I don't want to spend money on another computer rig where my laptop can handle most of the old DOS stuff with eased.

I'm happy with my AWE64, though. Some people like the awesome sampled sounds of the Rolands, but there's something odd to me about DOS games sounding like that. What games are you planning on playing with this?
    I like the sound of the Rolands, but it is not for everyone.

I was playing Doom with the MT-32 emulator last night and it was fun. The emulator is not perfect but I really like the sound of the old Rolands.

Doom will be one, the old Descent with MIDI, A-10 Tank Killer, and many more DOS crap.

Also I will be using the x68000 emulator a lot for this.
    Last edited by HyperDuel; 10-12-2010 at 11:35 AM.