Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Dragon's Lair II Time Warp on PSN/PS3 [MERGED/UPDATED]

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Dragon's Lair II Time Warp on PSN/PS3 [MERGED/UPDATED]

They're all out on PSN now!

DRAGON'S LAIR:

Includes:

* 1080p HD Remastered Video
    * Visual Move Guide
    * Classic Arcade Monitor View
    * Online Leaderboard
    * Trophy Support
    * Exclusive Dragon’s Lair PlayStation®Home Reward
    * Watch Mode – View the Animation Without Dying!

I'm in. But, you already knew that.

SCROLL DOWN FOR REVIEW ...

SPACE ACE:

1st off, seems to absolutely be worth the price they're asking. If you're a fan of laserdisc gaming, these are some of the best commercial versions I've seen.

Space Ace seems to have suffered from some minor MINOR noise in the transfer/remastering to 1080p. I'm not complaining at all because it looks absolutely beautiful, but on my setup I could see some noise in some of the colors.

Space Ace is a far far "busier" game in terms of animation than Dragon's Lair, so this may have been unavoidable in the frame-by-frame remastering.

And, as far as arcade authenticity is concerned, unlike the real thing, this version of Ace does not advance you forward partially in a level when you die. Personally I see that as a positive, as that was one of the reasons that I never "mastered" Space Ace in the arcade, not being able to re-play the section I died on prevented me from learning what exactly I did wrong until my next full play-through.

This version appears to re-start you at the beginning of the scene you're on when you die. (There may be mid-way points on the larger levels).

It has all the features that Dragon's Lair on PS3 does, plus subtitles, which is nice since Space Ace is a far more "chatty" game than Dragon's Lair.

Going to try to beat the game on the three difficulty settings and get some trophies. Will report back later, but the short-short is that all signs point to BUY THIS.

DRAGON'S LAIR II: TIME WARP:

With the return of the PSN Store we have the release of Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp on the PSN.

Featuring most of the bells/whistles of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace (digital transfer, arcade monitor play skin, Playstation Home Arcade Cabinet for personal space, trophy support, etc.) with the exception of the online leaderboard as Dragon's Lair II didn't have a traditional score system, it's a great value at $9.99 for fans of Bluth/Goldman's laserdisc arcade "trilogy".

This version features a variant "Director's Cut" alternate final stage play through where Dirk actually prevents the "Death Ring" from being placed on Daphne's finger. This wasn't included on the arcade cabinet due to the space limitations of the LD Technology.

While Time Warp, like Space Ace doesn't feature the meticulous clean-up work that the original Dragon's Lair got, it most cases in didn't need it and still looks fantastic as-is.

I especially like the fact that in this version you can pause the game and not only see WHAT golden treasures you've collected (those are the key to getting to the final stage) but also save your progress.

The current Dragon's Lair and Space Ace are on sale for $4.99 each, so it's a good time to pick them up to complete the trifecta.

Now ... here's to hoping that the company who has the rights to Cobra Command and Road Avenger for iOS will port those to the PSN in the future.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-03-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Finally, someone got the idea to clean it up and copy it at 4K (possibly 8K)!

Now, if only Sewer Shark and Dragon's Lair 2 got this...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's amazing how this game keeps coming back...

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

How many systems has this game been on now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This version is the 60th port.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

ALL OF THEM. This includes your DVD player.

Didn't a collection just come out on the Wii for thirty bucks? And the first game on iPhone for five? And the DSi for five? And on Blu-Ray for probably too much? And...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

And for those who think we're joking ...

01 Arcade game LaserDisc Starcom Cinematronics Original Release

02 Coleco Adam Cartridge Coleco
    03 Coleco Adam Floppy Coleco

04 Amstrad CPC Cartridge Software Projects
    05 Amstrad CPC Floppy Software Projects
    06 ZX Spectrum Cassette Software Projects
    07 Commodore 64 Cassette Software Projects

08 ZX Spectrum Cartridge Software Projects Budget Release
    09 Amstrad CPC Cassette Software Projects Released name: "Escape From Singe’s Castle"
    10 Amstrad CPC Floppy Software Projects Released name: "Escape From Singe’s Castle"
    11 ZX Spectrum Cassette Software Projects Released name: "Escape From Singe’s Castle"
    12 Commodore 64 Cassette Software Projects Released name: "Escape From Singe’s Castle"
    13 Commodore 64 Floppy Amazing Software Republished version includes both cassette versions on a single 'flippy'

14 Commodore Amiga Floppy Readysoft
    15 Commodore Amiga Floppy Readysoft Released name: "Escape From Singe’s Castle"
    16 Atari ST Floppy Readysoft
    17 Personal Computer Floppy Sullivan Bluth / Merit Software Released On: 5.25" Floppy
    18 Personal Computer Floppy Sullivan Bluth / Merit Software Released On: 3.5" Floppy

19 Nintendo Entertainment System Cartridge Elite Systems
    20 Game Boy Cartridge Elite Systems
    21 Macintosh Plus / SE Floppy Readysoft
    22 Atari ST Cartridge Readysoft

23 Personal computer Floppy Readysoft
    24 Personal computer Floppy Readysoft Released name: Escape From Singe’s Castle, (includes some non original arcade levels)
    25 Personal computer Floppy Readysoft Released name: Escape From Singe’s Castle
    26 Apple Macintosh Floppy Readysoft Released name: Escape From Singe’s Castle, (This version includes few levels from the original arcade game Dragon's Lair II : Timewarp)

27 Super Nintendo Entertainment System Cartridge Data East

28 Sega CD CD-ROM Readysoft
    29 Personal computer CD-ROM Readysoft
    30 3DO CD-ROM Readysoft
    31 Sega Mega-CD CD-ROM Readysoft

32 Apple Macintosh CD-ROM Readysoft
    33 CD-I CD-ROM Readysoft

34 Atari Jaguar CD-ROM Readysoft

35 Windows 95 CD-ROM Digital Leisure Release Name: Deluxe Pack, (Also Contained Space Ace & Dragon's Lair II)
    36 Personal Computer DVD-ROM Digital Leisure

37 Home DVD players DVD Digital Leisure
    38 Windows 98 DVD-ROM Digital Leisure

39 Game Boy Color Cartridge Capcom
    40 PlayStation 2 DVD Digital Leisure

41 Windows XP CD-ROM Digital Leisure Arcade Authentic
    42 Xbox DVD Digital Leisure

43 Home DVD players DVD Digital Leisure Release Name: "20th Anniversary Pack"
    44 Apple Macintosh DVD-ROM Digital Leisure
    45 GameCube CUBE-DVD DragonStone Capcom Remake name: "Dragons Lair 3D"
    46 Xbox Xbox-DVD DragonStone UbiSoft Remake name: "Dragons Lair 3D"
    47 Personal Computer CD-ROM DragonStone UbiSoft Remake name: "Dragons Lair 3D"

48 Windows XP CD-ROM Digital Leisure Release Name: 20th Anniversary Pack
    2004 49 PlayStation 2 PS2-DVD DragonStone THQ Release Name: Dragon’s Lair 3D - Special Edition
    50 GameCube CUBE-DVD DragonStone THQ Release Name: Dragon’s Lair 3D - Special Edition

51 Mobile Phone Download Disney Mobile

52 Windows XP DVD-ROM Digital Leisure High Definition WMV
    2007 53 Home Blu-ray players BD-R Infinite HD Digital Leisure
    54 PlayStation 3 BD-R Infinite HD Digital Leisure
    55 Home HD DVD players HD DVD Infinite HD Digital Leisure
    56 Xbox 360 HD DVD Digital Leisure
    57 Personal Computer DVD Digital Leisure 20th Anniversary Pack released on 1 DVD instead of 4 disks

58 iPhone Downloadable Digital Leisure Electronic Arts
    59 Nintendo DSi (DSiWare) Downloadable Digital Leisure

60 Wii Nintendo optical disc Digital Leisure Destineer Release Name: Dragon's Lair Trilogy (Includes Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp, and Space Ace
    61 iPad Downloadable Digital Leisure Dragon's Lair LLC
    62 Nintendo DS DS Game Card Digital Leisure Destineer

Future Releases
    63 PlayStation 3 Downloadable Digital Leisure
    64 PSP Downloadable Digital Leisure

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-22-2010 at 09:32 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

For what it is worth, I have the Blu-ray and it is a mess. It seems like they got the sequences of their scenes wrong on it because you don't advance the the correct room each time. Also, if you just do the 'play movie' option (forgot what it is called) it just jumps around like crazy through the story. I was using it on the PS3 if it matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    For what it is worth, I have the Blu-ray and it is a mess. It seems like they got the sequences of their scenes wrong on it because you don't advance the the correct room each time. Also, if you just do the 'play movie' option (forgot what it is called) it just jumps around like crazy through the story. I was using it on the PS3 if it matters.
    Interesting.

I have the Blu-Ray and while there was a bug in the initial printing which didn't allow you to run down your limited lives, the last time I played it I never noticed any drastic deviation from standard arcade branching. A Blu-Ray firmware update may have borked it ... I haven't played it lately to check.

Are you basing your estimation on the accurate progression of rooms (which isn't strictly static, there are several variations and branches which depend on what your first room is, what level you leap to on the falling platform and which reverse boards you've completed and/or failed on) the original arcade set to standard difficulty, or one of the home versions?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, I have to concede that I suck at the game, so my limited foray may not have been sufficient to determine if there were errors in playing it. The 'watch mode' didn't make any kind of sense, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The better question is - how many years did it take to see a release that was even remotely as good as the arcade version?

The first good version I remember was the PC CD-Rom version in the early 90's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    The better question is - how many years did it take to see a release that was even remotely as good as the arcade version?

The first good version I remember was the PC CD-Rom version in the early 90's.
    Remotely?

Some of the PC DVD versions were decent, but most were subtly flawed.

Very good?

The post-remastering/HD/Blu-Ray versions have had all of the arcade levels, correct level directions, scoring, and the arcade "chime" and "buzz" sound effects in-tact.

Notable very good versions are the Blu-Ray release, iPhone/iPad, DSi Ware.

I assume that the Wii version is a down-scaled resolution port of the HD remaster. I expect that it's going to be formulaic at this point and most future releases will be very good and arcade accurate.

If you want an arcade perfect version of Dragon's Lair (from the start up hardware checks to the blanking between screens) you just need to download yourself a copy of Daphne and get your hands on the appropriate commercial version of Dragon's Lair/Space Ace/ Dragon's Lair II to unlock the rights to use them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty bad-ass. Frankie maybe that's what you should use instead of Daphne at the next CGE.

Now all I need is a PS3. DL is one of my favorite games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Pretty bad-ass. Frankie maybe that's what you should use instead of Daphne at the next CGE.

Now all I need is a PS3. DL is one of my favorite games.
    Yeah, it would be fine for just Dragon's Lair, but then we wouldn't be able to play the other LD games on Daphne like Cliff Hanger, Super Don Quixote or Esh's Aurunmilla (not that anybody actually wants to play, or can pronounce Esh's Aurunmilla).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Yeah, it would be fine for just Dragon's Lair, but then we wouldn't be able to play the other LD games on Daphne like Cliff Hanger, Super Don Quixote or Esh's Aurunmilla (not that anybody actually wants to play, or can pronounce Esh's Aurunmilla).
    I'd kill for somebody to bring Cliff Hanger, MACH 3, Us Vs. Them, Cube Quest, and Firefox to a console.

And what sucks even worse, is now Daphne no longer supports Cliff Hanger - I still have the LD images for it, but it won't run the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I'd kill for somebody to bring Cliff Hanger, MACH 3, Us Vs. Them, Cube Quest, and Firefox to a console.

And what sucks even worse, is now Daphne no longer supports Cliff Hanger - I still have the LD images for it, but it won't run the game.
    Yeah, gotta hang on to those old builds and keep them offline. Daphne is very auto-updatey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

...Super Don Quixote...
    Ah, now there's a laser game. (yeah, I know I'm in the severe minority with that one)

Do do do do duh duh na na .. SUPER DON QUIX-OTE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

FYI - iPhone/iPad/iTouch owners who updated to iOS 4.2.1 yesterday only to realize that it completely BROKE (as in totally non-functional) Dragon's Lair for that platform,

I just got an email response from Digital Leisure that states they're aware of the problem and are working on a fix to be published as soon as Apple approves it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, I TOTALLY didn't think about that one.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And for those who think we're joking ...

23 Personal computer Floppy Readysoft
    24 Personal computer Floppy Readysoft Released name: Escape From Singe’s Castle, (includes some non original arcade levels)
    25 Personal computer Floppy Readysoft Released name: Escape From Singe’s Castle
    26 Apple Macintosh Floppy Readysoft Released name: Escape From Singe’s Castle, (This version includes few levels from the original arcade game Dragon's Lair II : Timewarp)

What about the Software Corner European release in 1991?