Thread: How many SNES games is there in total?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://byuu.org/preservation/list-usa

The list is outdated, I have all of the USA games now.

There are 717 officially released games in the USA. I also have two that were only released in Mexico: Super Copa and Chavez II.

The official Nintendo list is actually wrong in many areas. For instance, it does list Chavez II that was never released in the states, but it does not list Chavez I that was in fact released here. It also does not list Frogger. And it has a few titles that were never released anywhere.

Anyway, best number I have for North American cartridges is 719. I do not count the Donkey Kong or Starfox competition cartridges, because they weren't for sale. Super Noah's Ark 3D and the military Super Scope games were unlicensed, so they do not count. Super Game Boy, Game Genie and X-Band Modem have ROMs but were not technically games themselves, so they don't count on my list. Right now I don't count the Exertainment two-in-one game, because it wasn't sold alone, but it probably should be counted.

I do not count multiple revisions of the same game.

You have my guesses for Japan and Europe, but those numbers are definitely wrong. Japan has lots of special-case games like ones that were only available digitally via flash cartridges (Nintendo Power cartridges), the BS-X games that masquerade as real games, the BS-X ones that are clearly only available over satellite, the BS-X data packs for various games - Same Game's may be sold in stores, some are obviously only from the BS-X Satellaview service, the Sufami Turbo data packs ...

And then there's Europe, shit. Who knows what is up with that. Which games were released in which regions, which ones were identical in multiple regions and which weren't, and on and on.

The whole thing is a giant mess :P
    Last edited by byuu; 12-07-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chavez II was released in the US and possibly some areas of Canada, at least in small quantities. The first copy of Chavez II I got was from a seller in Canada.

Really, I would group Super Copa and Chavez II in general North American releases anyways, as the packaging is the same. To exclude them based on some assumption that they didn't get sold in the US seems silly, because there is no way we can confirm this (unless somehow the ASC sales information becomes available).

<Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chavez II was definitely released in the US. I know at the least, it was a Blockbuster rental, and that was the only place I saw it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by byuu View Post
    Anyway, best number I have for North American cartridges is 719. I do not count the Donkey Kong or Starfox competition cartridges, because they weren't for sale. Super Noah's Ark 3D and the military Super Scope games were unlicensed, so they do not count. Super Game Boy, Game Genie and X-Band Modem have ROMs but were not technically games themselves, so they don't count on my list. Right now I don't count the Exertainment two-in-one game, because it wasn't sold alone, but it probably should be counted.
    720 is the number I stand by, that being the 719 byuu mentions plus MBR/SR.

Let's not get into the Super Copa debate. It's long, it's tedious and no one ever agrees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So where can I find a copy of the most accurate list?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you all for the clarification on Chavez II. I apologize for my misinformation, my sources were obviously wrong.

Seems Super Copa is contentious here as well. Thankfully someone sent me the game for $40, there was no way in hell I would have paid the $150+ people ask for it on eBay.

Are there any other known non-USA-but-fit-USA-SNES commercial, licensed games out there? Something not on my list at all? It'd be nice to know I at least was able to collect at least one revision of every NTSC game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

International Superstar Soccer is the other one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

12, I reckon.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daze Before Christmas was only released in Germany for SNES.....and the Majority of Dragon Ball Z games were released in France (and Japan on super fami, obviously)...Some other Euro Exclusives off the top of my head: Turbo Toons, The Humans, Whirlo (also super fami), TinTin in Tibet, The Smurfs, The Smurfs travel the world, Micro Machines 2, Hungry Dinosaurs, Asterix, Asterix and Obelix, 90 minute european prime goal, Cannon Fodder, and a ton more....theres quite a few Euro Exclusives and some are specific to certain countries...