Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game that was made on the Super Nintendo and the Nintendo 64 at the same time

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game that was made on the Super Nintendo and the Nintendo 64 at the same time

Hello there. Is there any website or source that say which game had a port on both the Nintendo 64 and the Super Nintendo?

So far, I know only one game

2 of NBA Hang Time port were on SNES and Nintendo 64

Sorry for my bad english, I cannot be more precise.

Thanks alot!
    Last edited by Glitchologteam; 12-28-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unless there is some obscure Japanese release, I'm not aware of any Super Nintendo ports on the Nintendo 64.

There are certainly several games that shared the same name that were based on the same thing (Jeopardy!, for example is present on both systems and both have the same name). But even the games that are fairly similar that were based on the same source material (NBA Hang Time on the SuperNes and N64, and Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits on the SuperNes and Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits on the N64) are significantly different.

I can't imagine any code from the SuperNes version of NBA Hang Time is present on the N64 game (The SuperNes game used 2d sprites like NBA Jam, the N64 game and the arcade game used 3d polygons as far as I can remember). And the SuperNes release of the Williams compilation on the SuperNes were all ports of the arcade originals, while the N64 release changed up the lineup of games a bit and relied upon emulation. So there's not likely to be any code from the SuperNes release that was ported to the Nintendo 64.

The only thing games like F1 Pole Position share between their SuperNes and N64 versions are a general theme and a name.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-28-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NBA Hang Time on the Nintendo 64 is a 2D game just like the SNES port. You are mistaking NBA Hang Time with the later NBA Jam game such as NBA Jam '99. The Arcade version do not use 3D either

This is strange because the SNES and the Genesis share alot of game with the Playstation and the Sega Saturn but not the 64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchologteam View Post
    This is strange because the SNES and the Genesis share alot of game with the Playstation and the Sega Saturn but not the 64
    They do...? I can only think of collection ports such as Chrono Trigger and Sonic Jam, which don't really count.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry, I initially thought it had a 3d look to the characters in the low resolution YouTube video I watched before posting. It's been years since I played either version, but I believe you're right after watching some better videos of it just now

Either way, there is a substantial graphical differences between the SuperNes game and the N64 release. I really doubt they used any code from the earlier Super Nintendo release when developing the N64 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    They do...? I can only think of collection ports such as Chrono Trigger and Sonic Jam, which don't really count.
    Beyond things like what you've already mentioned, I certainly can't think of many. There's a bit of overlap in 1994-1996 when some popular games like Mortal Kombat 3 and UMK3 came home to 16 and 32 bit consoles. But it was never terribly common.

By late 1996 when the N64 was released, game development for 16 bit consoles was largely coming to an end as the final releases like Donkey Kong Country 3 and Vectorman 2 were coming out. Combined with the high manufacturing cost of N64 cartridges and expectations among gamers by that point in what the console was capable of doing, it's not hard to see why there were no SuperNes and Genesis ports on the N64.

Sony or Sega might've successfully sold the occasional 16 bit game in late 94 and early 95 to try to fill out their lineups during the lean early days, but such a thing would've been near universally negatively recieved by many gamers and much of the press by late 1996 when the N64 was released. 2d games, which were the bread and butter for the 16 bit consoles, were mistakingly largely viewed as backwards and part of a bygone era by quite a few people at the time. People were looking toward the future that things like Super Mario 64 represented and sadly weren't very interested at the time in revisiting great 2d games from several years earlier.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-09-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NBA JAM T.E.
    Revolution X
    Zoop
    Mortal Kombat 2 This game was ported on all 3 generation of Sega System (Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn and even Sega Game Gear and Sega 32x)
    Mortal Kombat 3
    NBA Live 96 , 97 and 98
    FIFA Soccer 96, 97 and 98
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Viewpoint
    Madden '97 and 98
    Mario Andretti Racing
    and many others had port on the SNES and or The Sega Genesis and the Playstation/Saturn

Leo A
    Thanks for that reply, I didn't thought about that logic thing, but still, are you guys sure that there is no other game made on both the SNES and N64 except NBA Hang Time?
    Last edited by Glitchologteam; 12-28-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Again, what are your qualifications? Going by name only? I assume so since things like Mario Andretti Racing are completely different games on the Genesis and the Playstation

There are no shortage of games like Space Invaders, F1 Pole Position, and Jeopardy! that share a name on the SuperNes and the N64.

But they're not the same games and they weren't released anywhere near the same time. You aren't going to find any 16 bit ports on the Nintendo 64.

Take F1 Pole Position for one example. Check out these screenshots.

SuperNes

N64

There are no situations on the N64 like Zoop that I'm aware of where 16 bit consoles and next generation consoles (Jaguar, Saturn, and PSOne in that example) saw basically the same identical game. I've checked the US release list on Digital Press twice now just so I'm not relying on my memory. Unless there's some relatively unknown example that just was released in Japan, I'm not aware of any examples.

About the closest is NBA Hang Time, and it's obvious to someone just even watching YouTube videos that the N64 version is significantly different and not simply a port of the SuperNes game. They're similar because they're both based on the same arcade game and share the same name. But their relationship ends there.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-28-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me , a port of a game is a game that come from the same original source

For example: Ms. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 and Ms. Pac-Man on the Super Nintendo are different port of the same arcade original

Ms. Pac-Man on the SNES has better graphics and sound, but still came from the original idea, the Arcade Game

So: NBA Hang Time on the SNES and the one on the nintendo 64 are both port of the same arcade original

Hang Time on the 64 has better graphics

If you cannot understand what I mean, it must be because of my weak english skills.

Another Example

Batman Returns on the SNES is a beat em all, but the one on the Sega Genesis is much more different, but still they are 2 port of the same game.
    Madden NFL 06 is much different on the Nintendo DS than the Xbox 360, but its still the same game since they are 2 port

About the Screenshot

That both bear the same name, but I don't know if they play the same since ive never tried.

You may not agree with this, and ill respect it but this is how im thinking 2 port of the same video game being ported on different system. For me, both game based on the same thing are 2 port

EDIT: I guess the answer to my tread question is

NBA Hang time and FIFA World Cup '98 was made on both system. and Probaly F1 Pole Position if I try both version like the 2 previous games
    Last edited by Glitchologteam; 12-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the problem is in fact your English (and I don't mean that as a slight, b/c this is the sort of mistake that even native English speakers who are collectors tend to make). A port and a remake are two different things. For example, there is a port of Final Fantasy I & II on the Playstation, but there is a remake of Final Fantasy I & II on the PSP. A port is going to be significantly similar to the source material (even if extras like FMVs or a bestiary are included) whereas a remake is significantly different.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want to be rude but I already know what a port and a remake is. The problem here is that some people will say that for example that Need for Speed Underground 2 for GBA and Need for Speed Underground 2 for Playstation 2 are complety separate game when in fact they are all based on the same thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want to be rude but I already know what a port and a remake is. The problem here is that some people will say that for example that Need for Speed Underground 2 for GBA and Need for Speed Underground 2 for Playstation 2 are complety separate game when in fact they are all based on the same thing
    Being based on the same thing, tho, doesn't really mean a whole lot. Batman for the NES is a much different game than Batman Arkham Asylum, yet they're both based on the Batman property. For an even narrower example, there are four games called Shadowrun, three of which were released around the same time, and none of them are even similar, even tho they're all based on the Shadowrun pen & paper game.

If you just want a list of games from different console eras that share the same title, well, that would be easy to compile but it seems ultimately worthless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think things like Zoop are interesting, but I just don't see any situations like that on the Nintendo 64.

Now, there's at least a handful of situations on the GameCube where we saw Nintendo 64 content be ported to the system (Army Men Air Combat, Animal Forest/Crossing, and more), including games that were designed for but ultimately held back and not released on the N64.

Something like Mario Andretti Racing is a completely different game between the Genesis and PSOne. Beyond loose similarities like the title and general theme, they're completely different things (Which I discovered with great sadness after loving the Genesis game and eagerly buying the PSOne release later). The content of the games are nearly completely different from each other. And the differences aren't limited to the change from 2d sprites and 3d polygons. About the only things in common between the two are the name, being a racing game, and having several different series to race in each. Mario Andretti Racing on the PSOne simply isn't a port of the Genesis game.

To me, even if we stop quibbling over the likelihood that any code was reused and modified for a different platform (Which is what port actually refers to), the games at least need to be somewhat similar if we're going to be even loosely be applying that term even where technically, it isn't actually the case. Something like F1 Pole Position, despite sharing a name, license, publisher, and general theme (Recreating the Formula One championship) on both the SuperNes and N64, isn't a port in the case of the later N64 game. The games are about as different as two games could be. There isn't a hint of the SuperNes game in the N64 game beyond the title screen and the general theme of the game.

F1 Pole Position on the Nintendo 64 is about as much of a port of the SuperNes game of the same name as it is Grand Prix by Activision on the Atari 2600. To me and virtually everyone else, F1 Pole Position on the Nintendo 64 clearly isn't a port of the Activision classic. Yet by your thinking, beyond having different names, they theoretically could be. After all, even though they're completely different games just like Madden NFL 06 on the Xbox 360 and Nintendo DS are, they're also both trying to recreate the same sport.

Grand Prix

F1 Pole Position

Zoop is an excellent example of a port, but there was nothing similar that I'm aware of on the Nintendo 64 where 16 bit content was ported to the platform.

Zoop for the SuperNes

Zoop for the Atari Jaguar

Without direct confirmation from the developers, or an cross examination of the code to compare it, we can't be certain if the Jaguar version was a port or vice versa (Unsure which version was developed first). But this situation is what people generally are thinking about when we're talking about a game being ported to different consoles. Zoop across every platform plays the same and looks the same. Clearly, assets were reused on each platform Zoop was developed for.

A port doesn't refer to a name simply being reused on a game for a different platform. It refers to adapting code designed for one system to work on a different system. I can assure you that there is no code shared between something like Madden 06 on the Nintendo DS and the Xbox 360. They're original games and all they share are a publisher, license, and sport.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-30-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sim City 2000 had a Japan-only N64 release, in addition to the SNES port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Sim City 2000 had a Japan-only N64 release, in addition to the SNES port.
    That's a good example. I should've remembered that since I was disappointed at the time that it never made it's way over here.

Two different developers though, so I doubt the SuperNes code was utilized in any way. But you never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    That's a good example. I should've remembered that since I was disappointed at the time that it never made it's way over here.

Two different developers though, so I doubt the SuperNes code was utilized in any way. But you never know.
    Probably not ported from the SNES, but they were each ported from the same source (the PC original).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Being based on the same thing, tho, doesn't really mean a whole lot. Batman for the NES is a much different game than Batman Arkham Asylum, yet they're both based on the Batman property. For an even narrower example, there are four games called Shadowrun, three of which were released around the same time, and none of them are even similar, even tho they're all based on the Shadowrun pen & paper game.

If you just want a list of games from different console eras that share the same title, well, that would be easy to compile but it seems ultimately worthless.
    you obsiouvly didn't get the point of the thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you obsiouvly didn't get the point of the thread
    ... Did anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... Did anyone?
    Not one bit, but I'm enjoying the results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

... Did anyone?
    I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would compare a 2600 game to a N64 game, not to mention Glitchologteam's (what team?) inane theory about source ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would compare a 2600 game to a N64 game, not to mention Glitchologteam's (what team?) inane theory about source ports.
    Clearly, no one was.

I was merely using that as an example of how flawed his thinking was on what constitutes a port. They're two completely different games that are vastly apart from each other in such areas as gameplay and graphics. One doesn't even need to be familiar with either game, they just have to look at those two screenshots to see the vast differences between the two games.

Yet, much like his examples of other games that he would consider ports (Such as the Need for Speed releases on the GBA and DS, which he views as ports of their console cousins), Grand Prix and F1 Pole Position 64 both share a similar theme which attempts to recreate, in some way, the experience of being a Formula One driver.

If Grand Prix had come from the same company responsible for the F1 Pole Position releases and had carried the same name as the N64 game, could that potentially have made F1 Pole Position a port of a Atari 2600 game?

Of course not and I think everyone here except him would agree on that. But with his line of thinking, F1 Pole Position could potentially be considered a port of a 2600 game from over 15 years earlier. I used those two games merely to illustrate the flaws in his line of thinking. I thought my original post was fairly clear on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    F1 Pole Position on the Nintendo 64 is about as much of a port of the SuperNes game of the same name as it is Grand Prix by Activision on the Atari 2600. To me and virtually everyone else, F1 Pole Position on the Nintendo 64 clearly isn't a port of the Activision classic. Yet by your thinking, beyond having different names, they theoretically could be. After all, even though they're completely different games just like Madden NFL 06 on the Xbox 360 and Nintendo DS are, they're also both trying to recreate the same sport.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-30-2010 at 08:00 AM.