Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Collection tracking site - Now available on Android!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collection tracking site - Now available on Android!

Hello all,

After getting sick of tracking my collection on a spreadsheet and exhausting all other options I took it upon myself to begin designing a collection tool and management system based on our unique needs. I know there are a few options out there but everything else either seems too complicated or lacked some key features.

Basic development is nearing completion but I just wanted to open up some dialog with you guys to see exactly what features would be needed to use such a system.

Here is what I have so far:

- Simply design with basic sorting options
    - Export to csv
    - Import from csv (coming soon)
    - Public or private collections
    - Hardware tracking
    - Strat Guide tracking
    - Swag tracking
    - Barcode, Part #, release date, developer, publisher and more for each record
    - Optional notes for each entry (allow you to make custom notes for each game)
    - Cart/Disc, Box, manual and other check boxes for each entry
    - Quick Search/add (search uses ajax to quickly find and add games to your collection)
    - Add multiple games at once from search results
    - Advanced Search (coming soon)
    - User submitted and updateable database (I've gathered just shy of 10,000 games so far but will be doing a huge update soon)

Small screen:

So I know I'm really just scratching my own itch here, but if I would love to develop something that others would use. Please let me know if you have any thoughts, ideas or comments.

If anyone would like to test things out I'll be ready to create a few beta accounts in a few days.

UPDATE 12/31 - Thanks for the feedback! I'm about a week or two to opening up membership and will definitely keep you guys posted.
    UPDATE 1/2 - Happy New Year! I've added Strategy Guide tracking. Database is empty but will be ready to be used. Membership management is almost complete. Keep the ideas coming! If anyone has complete release lists (csv files if possible) send them my way! Thanks!

UPDATE 1/17 - Good sample link: http://vgcollect.com/scott
    UPDATE 1/20 - I've decided to open up membership to any DP user! Just head over to the registration page (http://vgcollect.com/register) and make sure to enter "digitpress" into the Invite Code box. I'm really hoping to gather some good feedback. Please request features, report bugs and send over any feedback you may have.

Thanks for the help and enjoy!

UPDATE 2/1

UPDATE 3/7 - VGCollect Mobile BETA is now on Android!

https://market.android.com/details?i...kris.vgcollect
    Last edited by mdk; 03-07-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is always nice to be able to track if a game has a manual or box and if they are still needed for completion purposes, especially with the older games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That import from csv is the best option, exporting is imperative too.

I use a basic MySQL database for my Drupal based website and I have been confounded in being able to maintain a local list and a web viewable list that stay constantly updated. I know it is possible, I just haven't bothered to test the available modules yet.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calistarwind View Post
    It is always nice to be able to track if a game has a manual or box and if they are still needed for completion purposes, especially with the older games.
    I agree. I think I'll add box, manual and other inserts to the attribute list.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    That import from csv is the best option, exporting is imperative too.
    These are both features that are must haves. The import is kinda a bitch right now as I have to enforce a strict format. As it stands, I can validate the process and report any failures which then can be added manually.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk View Post
    These are both features that are must haves. The import is kinda a bitch right now as I have to enforce a strict format. As it stands, I can validate the process and report any failures which then can be added manually.
    With database imports, you aren't going to be able to get away without strict formatting. You could spend time and money trying to make a user friendly column conversion system. I just haven't seen a database import system with this many details made end-user simple yet.

Even Microsoft Outlook's import function sucks.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    With database imports, you aren't going to be able to get away without strict formatting. You could spend time and money trying to make a user friendly column conversion system. I just haven't seen a database import system with this many details made end-user simple yet.

Even Microsoft Outlook's import function sucks.
    The site provides a standard template and usage instructions. All you'll need is a csv with the appropriate columns. The headers are first validated, if that passes I also validate each cell. It checks for valid console name (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, etc) and then checks for a valid game name. All other columns are optional. This is the problem right now as the database is no where near complete. I think I'm going to allow new games to be added to the database and set an unconfirmed flag which I can then validate as they come in. This leaves some room for error with spellings and what not but I think it's the best we can do for right now.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds about right to me. The user will have to pay close attention to the columns and cells before importing. You will likely need to be available to delete the entire incorrectly imported database for some users.

One of my idiotic moments exposed me to the fact that once I add content on the web side I cannot ever re-import a CSV for anything related to that content. So, once I realized that PHP has an issue sorting by null (blank) values I could not re-import the entire library with a different value for that field. I know of a couple of fixes for this, but none seem preferable yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitmusic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Perhaps a spot to label the game's developer?

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitmusic View Post
    Perhaps a spot to label the game's developer?
    Each game has a spot for serial #, part #, release date, developer, publisher, description and rating. My hope is to have enough info to list all variations.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitmusic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Each game has a spot for serial #, part #, release date, developer, publisher, description and rating. My hope is to have enough info to list all variations.
    When it's done, shoot me a message. I'm crap at spreadsheet.

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't get it. I understand the need to make your own software but you said the reason you are doing it is because you exhaused all other options.

Have you heard of http://www.collectorz.com/game/ ?

If you have then what did you find that this software didn't do that your current software will? I use this software and the pro version does everything. I am able to track original cost, current value, complete, condition, covers, etc. The latest version now adds hardware. I can also export the database to my ipad, droid, itouch, etc so I can take it with me. The barcode support and automatic updates work great.

I was just wondering what yours will do that this software doesn't.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sinizar View Post
    I don't get it. I understand the need to make your own software but you said the reason you are doing it is because you exhaused all other options.

Have you heard of http://www.collectorz.com/game/ ?

If you have then what did you find that this software didn't do that your current software will? I use this software and the pro version does everything. I am able to track original cost, current value, complete, condition, covers, etc. The latest version now adds hardware. I can also export the database to my ipad, droid, itouch, etc so I can take it with me. The barcode support and automatic updates work great.

I was just wondering what yours will do that this software doesn't.
    I'll admit to only briefly testing the Collectorz software, which was limited. I personally am looking to create a free web based solution. I know that Collectorz offers Connect which is a web-based but it all comes at a cost. I'll look into Collectorz a bit more in-depth and report back on features. Regardless, I expect my software to be a feature-packed solution and am only looking for community input on what features they'd expect.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another website to consider is vgrebirth.com The thing I don't like about them, they are listing every game known to man throughout the world. I'm only interested in North American releases. No offence to the Brits or Aussies, but I'm not interested in other countries for now. They have taken such a huge undertaking, they have listed 52k+ games and are backed up with submissions by 450+.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Another website to consider is vgrebirth.com The thing I don't like about them, they are listing every game known to man throughout the world. I'm only interested in North American releases. No offence to the Brits or Aussies, but I'm not interested in other countries for now. They have taken such a huge undertaking, they have listed 52k+ games and are backed up with submissions by 450+.
    I think you can filter out games by region. I haven't been there in a while though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Another website to consider is vgrebirth.com.
    I'm definately aware of vgrebirth. They've done an amazing job. I'd really like to model myself after them somewhat but be more focused on design and usage.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I think you can filter out games by region. I haven't been there in a while though.
    You can, however, I was trying to make the point of them overdoing things a bit. They are backed up with submissions. At the same time, when you look at specific game, click 'Next Game' and it takes you to the Japanese version. Click again and it takes you to the Swedish version. I would like to vew the next game in the list criteria that I've specified.

I'm definately aware of vgrebirth. They've done an amazing job. I'd really like to model myself after them somewhat but be more focused on design and usage.
    I've enjoyed the fact that they have their site as a blue with yellow letterings. It's very easy on the eyes.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesome......make sure import (Japan) games are in the database.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one feature I have yet to find in collecting software is the ability to take a complete set of a system's library and filter out what I have. That way, when I'm out hunting I can just look at a list of what I need. RFG does this somewhat with their .pdfs but it is a clunky solution for mobile (where it is most valuable).

Also, make your site mobile browser friendly. Ideally there would be an app that would integrate with it and allow you access to your library quickly when you're out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Prawn View Post
    The one feature I have yet to find in collecting software is the ability to take a complete set of a system's library and filter out what I have. That way, when I'm out hunting I can just look at a list of what I need. RFG does this somewhat with their .pdfs but it is a clunky solution for mobile (where it is most valuable).

Also, make your site mobile browser friendly. Ideally there would be an app that would integrate with it and allow you access to your library quickly when you're out.
    That is an interesting idea that I could see being VERY useful. I'll add that to the to-do list. I've also done some mobile web and Android development and definitely plan on adding full mobile functionality.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet