Thread: Is it possible for future consoles to completely eliminate load times?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Is it possible for future consoles to completely eliminate load times?

Im not tech savyy into this kind of stuff, but since cd-rom games and system appeared, load times have been killing me!!! Is there a way for the successor of xb1 and ps4 to completely eliminate load times? even portable psvita that uses cartridges have load times, so i guess cartridge wouldnt fix that? Anyway, I think fixing screen texture pop up and eliminating load times are what next gen gaming needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I think with ssd they could. It's just starting for the end user market and they are already super fast, let it mature a bit and its only going to get faster and more efficient

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not likely.

Look at the vita you noted and also the 3DS. Both use a form of large sized memory chip and those chips are much in a way like a SSD very fast. But you have to realize even as fast as the SSD can go, you're still screwed by bottlenecking elsewhere. Perhaps the bus speed of the mainboard on your system (or your PC) just can only transfer so many megabytes or gigabits a second and your game is freaking huge. Most games can transfer a good bit and you may just get a stylized fade to black or fade in-out between spots which covers like a 1-3second load time, not enough for a 'now loading' screen a CD game can have for like a minute, but it's there.

You'd need to have a system where the board, the memory, the video memory, the cpu, the gpu, and the storage are all universally so fast on transfer rates it would be like the instant pop up of stuff like old NES/SNES games did where it just was instant as it didn't need to push much data so the hardware could just do it without load screens.

I think you'd need to find this sweet spot where the storage sizes and file sizes the games use cap to a point where the speed of all the other parts and their communication between them hit such a high rate the entire set of needed files can be fired through near if not instantly like the old days to do it and we're not there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The games still have stuff that is compressed to save on file size and that takes time for the system to process.

The fasted SSDs can upload data at @ 550 MB/s, but it'll still be held back my the fetch calls from the CPU and memory.

http://www.fastestssd.com/featured/s...-state-drives/