Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Default Top 5 Favorite Arcade games?

Surprised that I couldn't find anything like this in Classic Discussions, and it's a shame this board is so dead, so a little conversation should stir it up. What are your favorite arcade games from across the years? Mine are:

1. Tron - First played it in DisneyQuest at Disneyworld last June of '10, at first I didn't like it but after a couple plays I was really hooked. The gameplay is varied and fun, and you get a real sense of accomplishment getting past even level four. You think the game's fairly simple, but after the 2nd level the game drops you into the shark pool without any warning. I'm a sucker for very difficult arcade games, and this is definitely one of the hardest I've played. Light Cycles is my favorite game, then Grid Bugs. It's also what got me into Tron in general, and I can safely now consider it my favorite movie of all-time. I still can't get past Level 4 of Tanks.

2. Discs of Tron - I also played at DisneyQuest, rather simple but very addicting gameplay. The machine I played on had a sunk-in Deflect button so the game was considerably harder, but that didn't stop me from playing it. Shame it's so scarcely found, it's very very fun.

3. Stargate/Defender II - I love Stargate! The control scheme is very difficult, but the game is just so addicting. Don't think I've ever played a harder arcade game. You've got to have really fast reflexes on this one, being able to go fast, dodge, and shoot at any given time. Plus the erratic movement of the enemies makes it even harder. Nothing predictable about Stargate for sure! Not the game to play when you only have a couple quarters left in your pocket though!

4. Ghouls N' Ghosts - I first really gave Ghouls N' Ghosts a fair shake on the Genesis, and immediately I was hooked. At first turned off in the arcades by it's immense difficulty, I found it to be rather easy after multiple playthroughs, and at certain times, the game becomes a breeze. The controls are really tight and the gameplay is so fun, that you can't help but keep trying. It's hard to put it down. And of course the sense of accomplishment you get after playing through the entire game TWICE....to get a Cliffhanger ending. Gah! Foiled again!

5. Star Wars Arcade (1979) - The first video game with voice! An excellent game from Atari, especially in the cockpit version! Again, not an easy game. After the first level they throw you to the dogs, tons of fireballs and TIE Fighters to deal with. Not to mention Darth Vader's TIE, which can't be killed. But the simple Rail-Gun gameplay makes this one an instant classic. And great graphics for the time too!

What are your favorites?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Rastan
    Bubble Bobble
    Rainbow Islands
    Galaga
    Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Street Fighter II- I will own this machine before it is all said and done, I still remember actually standing in line(a long one!) to play this back in 92 when I was 8. One of my favorite video games ever. SFII is what arcades are all about to me, the perfect coin op imo.

2. Robotron 2084- I have never actually played a cabinet of this, but it is on my bucketlist. I played this on the xbox and asolutely fell head over heals for it, pure gameplay that is addictive, and intense. One of my favorite games period, be it arcade or otherwise.

3. Final Fight- I played this game so much when I was 6 at the laundry mat that it influenced my taste in video games as a grown man, I still to this day prefer 2d sprite based graphics over modern consoles, and I really think such heavy doses of Final Fight at such a young age played a big part in that.

4. Sinistar- Another game Ive never played on an actuall cab, but fell in love with on a compilation. This game has a lot of charm and challenge, yet is so simple to play. The Sinistar character is one of the greatest characters in the history of video games in my opinion, such distinct personality. Run COWARD! Run! Run! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! I love it!

5. Galaga- No other arcade game has ever gotten so much of my money, every time I see a cab of this in the wild it usually cleans out my pocket, and my afternoon. I just cant help it!

I also really, really like both Turtles games, Pac man, The Simpsons, Zero Gunner 2, House of the Dead 2, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter, and T2.

Ive never played the arcade version of Outrun, but the Genesis port is one of my favorites.

Damn Baloo, I sure miss that avatar!
    Last edited by shinobimusashi; 01-13-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    5. Star Wars Arcade (1979) - The first video game with voice! An excellent game from Atari, especially in the cockpit version! Again, not an easy game. After the first level they throw you to the dogs, tons of fireballs and TIE Fighters to deal with. Not to mention Darth Vader's TIE, which can't be killed. But the simple Rail-Gun gameplay makes this one an instant classic. And great graphics for the time too!
    Star Wars is an incredible classic arcade game, but it's from 1983, not 1979. It's also not the first game with voice, Berzerk (1980) and Space Fury (1981) both had voice.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In no order:

Roadblasters
    Space Gun
    Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystaria
    Assault (Atari)
    Arkanoid

Ironically I own nearly 100 arcade games (PCBs and carts) and own none of the above games as 4 out of 5 of them require specialized controls.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Star Wars is an incredible classic arcade game, but it's from 1983, not 1979. It's also not the first game with voice, Berzerk (1980) and Space Fury (1981) both had voice.
    Ah, forgot about Berzerk, and I love that one! Could've sworn Star Wars was earlier though, guess I was wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    In no order:

Roadblasters
    Space Gun
    Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystaria
    Assault (Atari)
    Arkanoid

Ironically I own nearly 100 arcade games (PCBs and carts) and own none of the above games as 4 out of 5 of them require specialized controls.
    Space gun is nice!!! I want to play that with a light gun so badly.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitmusic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Golden Axe

The Simpsons Arcade/X-Men Arcade/Turtles Arcade (Hey.. it's all the same to me )

Operation Wolf

Street Fighter II

After Burner

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

1. StarBlade - I guess you had to experience this one when it first came out. The experience simply blew me away and I still hop into the seat as fast as possible when I spot one of these in the wild. It's big, heavy, loud and makes you feel like Alex Rogan.

2. Klax - Us Klaxxers may be in the minority but this is my all time favorite puzzle game and the cabaret arcade cabinet is one of my favorite cabinet designs ever. Developed by Atari as the follow up to the arcade Tetris, it took FAR too long for me to acquire this cabinet and I play it at least a couple times a week.

3. Pole Position - The only bad thing I can say about the classic Pole Position is that it's one of those games that is a pain in the ass to maintain. My first arcade cabinet was a gutted Pole Position I ran MAME on (still have the empty cab if anyone is interested). While Pole Position II added three additional courses (and reworked Fuji) I still prefer the original. I'd love to try my hand at maintaining another one of these one day.

4. Daytona USA - Being born in 1981 I was able to only catch the very tail end of the golden age of arcade games. However during the early 1990's when arcades were having another solid revival, no game brought more pure competition and enjoyment than Sega's arcade racer follow up to Virtua Racing. It's still a total blast today and still makes solid money on route. A pair of Daytona twins is also one of my long term collecting goals.

5. Jungler - Okay, I know everyone hates this early Konami game, I'll just leave it at that.

Special mention: Tailgunner.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 01-13-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
    Daytona USA
    Undercover Cops
    Quiz & Dragons
    Magic Sword

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Virtua Racing
    Street Fighter II
    Outrunners
    Centipede
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are so many... Tough to narrow it down. Of course, you have to go back to a time (80's) when it seemed an arcade was popping up on every street. I'll try to pick the games that I blew the most quarters (or tokens) on. No particular order.

Twin Cobra
    Double Dragon
    Gauntlet
    Ikari Warriors
    Golden Axe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Fighter II Hyper
    Mortal Kombat II
    Daytona
    Outrun 2
    Crazy Taxi
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Time Pilot
    Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
    Cheyenne
    Galaga
    Asteroids
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

1. Dragon's Lair
    2. Saturday Night Slam Masters
    3. Bionic Commando
    4. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
    5. Star Wars Arcade
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Asteroids
    Tempest
    Space Zap
    Daytona USA
    Hydro Thunder
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In no particular order:

Ms. Pac Man - just classic, and infinitely replayable.

Star Wars Arcade - amazing for many reasons already mentioned, especially environmental cab

Frenzy - just a bit more going on than in Berzerk, and I like that. I played it again recently and it held up really well.

Gauntlet - multiplayer goodness, four player co-op and a great D&D theme.

Millipede - I never cared for Centipede that much, but Millipede is just great action and lots of things to keep track of at once
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For various reasons. Some might not be considered "good" but I still find all a blast to play. In no particular order:
    1. Rapid River - the most workout ever for an arcade game
    2. Jurassic Park 3 - possibly in my top 10 games of all time, it's that good!
    3. Q*Bert - mostly for nostalgia
    4. Sunset Riders - if I had the money for a cabinet, this would be it, four player of course
    5. the Simpsons - would be my second choice after Sunset Riders
    Last edited by frogofdeath; 01-14-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting - Easily one of the best fighting games ever made.
    Donkey Kong - Fun game, and hard enough that you really feel like you accomplished something when you move forward in it.
    Mr. Do - I blame Robotron for getting me hooked on this game.
    The Simpsons - Probably my favorite of the Konami beatemups
    Samurai Shodown V Special - Only seen this in Japanese arcades, but it is an amazing game.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mat Mania: The greatest arcade wrestling game ever made hands down.

Spy Hunter: I got so good at this game that I would go back and forth from being a car to a boat and easily blowing up helicopters. Today I can no longer get the timing right on my missles but it's still a blast to play.

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade: They let you use a lightsaber for the boss fights. What more do you need?

Double Dragon: I still love playing this old school beat em up. Luckily it lives on in XBLA.

Tekken Tag Tournament: I've spent enough quarters on this game and Tekken 3 to have bought an actual new copy on release day for each. It was out back when we still had actual arcades here so I went to several different malls just looking for new competition. Those were the days.

Extra Favorites

Gauntlet: Honestly I don't even think I ever knew the goal of this game at the time but constantly hearing "warrior needs food badly" was another entertainment to keep me playing over and over again.

TMNT--The Arcade: This was more chaotic then anything else but it was no less fun when you had four people playing all four turtles.

Afterburner: I loved flying around blowing shit up. As a matter of fact, games like this prepared me for my fps phase that I would enter years later. It all started with shooting random jets out of the sky and now I shoot random people out of the map.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.