Thread: Back to the NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Back to the NES

Up until about fives years ago, I still had all my original NES games from when they were first released, complete in box. My collection consisted of only the "core" classics, so I had maybe 20 games. At the time, the games were selling for $30-50 on Ebay, and I hated to see that "money" just sitting there collecting dust, so I sold out.

Well, I'm back. I just bought a stack of games and a NES from Ebay. I used to be a stickler for complete-with-box-only games, but this time around I decided to make it very casual and just settle for loose copies. I considered trying for manuals, but the manuals (non-Nintendo produced, anyway) at the time were often not worth the paper on which they were printed.

I'm excited. This was all triggered by playing the original NES Super Mario Bros. on the Wii Virtual Console. I will be adding the NES to my 32" Sony WEGA standard definition CRT, along with a PSone and Wii. Games look great on this thing.

Here is the list of my incoming games:

Bionic Commando
    Castlevania
    Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers
    Contra
    Dr. Mario
    Duck Tales
    Faxanadu
    Gradius
    Gun.Smoke
    Ice Hockey
    Jackal
    Journey to Silius
    Kid Icarus
    Kirby's Adventure
    Legendary Wings
    Life Force
    Mario Bros.
    Megaman 2
    Megaman
    Metroid
    Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
    Ninja Gaiden II
    Ninja Gaiden
    R.C. Pro Am
    Snake Rattle N Roll
    Strider
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Mario Bros.
    Tetris
    TMNT
    Willow
    Yo! Noid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Groovy! Reading your post takes me back five years myself when I decided to reclaim bits and pieces of my childhood (with NES, Genesis and SNES).

It's a great time, for sure. Nothing quite like the early days of any monumental event. Enjoy it!

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Reading your post takes me back five years myself when I decided to reclaim bits and pieces of my childhood.
    No doubt like Gwen Stefani.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is a great list of games you have incoming, I'd say almost all those titles are classics.

As for selling your old games it sounds like you made out well at least, nothing to regret there. For a lot of us here we can recall putting our games on garage sales for just a few bucks a piece. All my original NES/SNES/Genesis games were put on garage sale for about $5 each complete in box so I could buy newer systems/games. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am usually a little OCD about my game collections. I don't just mean condition, but also with other factors such as publisher, etc. I have no idea why. Anyway, this NES thing will be interesting for me, as I am determined to just settle for cart only and not care about little things which would normally make me avoid certain games.

To form this list, I basically thought of the games I really enjoy. Then I browsed several "top 100" lists to refresh my memory of games I had forgotten and also point out games I have never tried. I then tried a bunch of these previously unknown games in an emulator. I didn't initially have a maximum number of games or amount of money I wanted to spend, but this seemed like a good amount.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice list of games.
    Get Micro Machines. Great one player game, excellent two player mode...
    ...and if you like good two player games, get Tengen's Ms.Pacman. Excellent two player mode, with a lot of extra versions/features.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 02-11-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good for you, in 2004 i decided to part with my boxed VCS collection (included a few unboxed titles), 300 games, with stuff like boxed/instr. Boing! ($2 at the time) and the light grey box/light grey label Hangman ($8 at the time, discovered to be extremely rare in 2005, both titles are like $1000 each nowadays).
    Nevertheless, I made $3000 at the time for the whole collection, so I was happy.

I very much missed collecting VCS and in 2009 I started up collecting Atari 2600 again. So far I have 180 boxed titles, and I am very happy, but one thing's for sure, a boxed Boing! or a boxed light grey Hangman will never come cheap my way way again.
    http://roomofdoom.powweb.com/gallery..._itemId=194784

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

I did the same thing with most of my Dreamcast games. So after I started selling off 75% of my collection I used the money to pick up the now-undervalued awesome Dreamcast games that I just couldn't appreciate as much back in the day.

But I don't think I'm going to regret selling most of my games, as I really was never going to play them ever again. But if you're going to play your games, they're totally worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been focusing on Castlevania and Mega Man over the past couple weeks. I am able to get to the final stage in Castlevania and the battle with Dr. Wily in Mega Man, but I have yet to complete either. I haven't had this much fun in a long time.

Also, I just had another round of acquisitions:

Adventures of Lolo
    Blaster Master
    Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
    Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse
    Clash at Demonhead
    Cobra Triangle
    Crystalis
    Double Dragon
    Dragon Warrior
    Dragon Warrior II
    Dragon Warrior III
    Gyruss
    Kickle Cubicle
    Little Nemo the Dream Master
    Metal Storm
    Nightshade
    Pirates!
    Power Blade
    Solar Jetman
    Solomon’s Key
    Solstice
    Stinger
    Super C

I intentionally avoided some of these the first time around due to my concern that the in-game batteries would be dead. I see now that most NES batteries are still going. I also learned how to change the batteries myself if needed, so my concerns no longer exist.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a great list there, the NES is where it started for me too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started collecting NES games when I managed to purchase somebody's CiB SM3 NES several years ago. I agree with Zing on the cart only purchases of most games, and I have purchased several of these NES cart displays. Then I ended up with almost as many boxed NES games as cart only.

It has been a long time since I listed the games on all of my systems, but it is still what I would call a list of games I enjoy playing (but never do). I don't purchase games I don't like, and I fairly well never sell games unless its still "new" and quickly depreciating in value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dug out an old stand-alone CD shelf unit that I used to hold my 200+ audio CD collection. It has five adjustable shelves. The top shelf is holding my 46 PSone games. The second and third shelves are reserved for my NES games, as each shelf holds about 40 games. The fourth shelf has my Wii, GameCube, and PSone longboxes. The last shelf has the remains of my original DVD movie collection.