Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default SCART, VGA, Scanlines and other questions

OK I'm going to back this up and get some of my broader questions answered before diving into specific solutions like I was asking for in my previous thread.

I've been looking into using SCART/ RGB connectors for some of my older gaming systems that support it (SNES, Saturn, modded Turbo Duo, etc.) but I'm having a tough time figuring it all out so I have some questions.

Right now I have three different displays available to me: HD LCD TV, HD CRT TV (does 720P and 1080i), and a 21" VGA monitor. I was thinking about using an SCART to HDMI converter since none of my displays have SCART connectors (I'm in the US). With HDMI I could plug it directly into either the LCD or CRT TV or I could use a HDMI to VGA adapter for the monitor.

1. Will I get a better picture using the HDMI connector on my TV's or the VGA on the monitor?
    2. Assuming I go the TV route I've been told that LCD TV's don't have scanlines so you need a device to artificially create them like a SLG3000. Do I need such a device for my HD CRT or does it already have scanlines because it's a CRT?
    3. My HD CRT has a DVI port, would I get a better picture using the DVI port (with a VGA adapter) or the HDMI port?

My guess here is that my HD CRT is probably the best bet and that the DVI port is going to give me a better signal than the HDMI because the systems aren't producing a true 720P signal anyway). I'm also guessing that I don't need the artificial scanline generator for the HD TV either. Am I right on all of this? Any reason to use the 21" VGA monitor at all?

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I've read, you would be better off using your HD CRT. However, I would recommend that you go with a SCART to component converter rather than a SCART to HDMI converter, as the conversion to HDMI washes out some of the colors. The best way to do this would be to get a SCART hub like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Signature-SI.../dp/B001MZRWN0 and hook it up to a SCART to component converter like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT. The SCART hub would allow you to use the white and red RCA cables for sound and allow you to hook up multiple SCART devices to the converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Oh wow, I didn't know there were SCART to component converters, that would be much more convenient. Does the SCART hub degrade the signal in any noticeable way?

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say for sure because I don't have any personal experience with SCART myself, but I would imagine that the answer would be no. The idea behind the hub is no different than hubs that allow you to hook up multiple composite cables to them. I use multiple hubs in my current setup for composite and s-video connections, and the signal does not degrade.