Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony's New Playstation $250?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Sony's New Playstation $250?

Gamespot has an (rumor) article about the price of $250 (WiFi) & $350 (3G) for the portable system. What do you think?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6304190...es%3Btitle%3B2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gizmondo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speculation of a pricetag between $250-$300 with 3G tacking on another $100 has been pretty widespread. So I find it believable and unsurprising.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I fail to see any problem in offering consumers price and hardware tiers/options, in fact, it's a modern industry standard.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If the standard NGP is $250 the 3DS has already lost. I'll be buying both, but for people looking for both value and how much it has to offer, I'm sure the NGP is going to come out on top this time around. The 3DS doesn't have a $100 edge on the NGP like the DS did versus the PSP, and the NGP has much more to offer than the 3DS. Like I said before. The 3DS is nothing more than a DS with better graphics and 3D that people will use for a whole two hours before they quit using it. The NGP is a more powerful PSP with a multi touch screen, six axis, back touch panel, dual analog, and camera functionality. Doing everything the 3DS can aside from 3D and more.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-16-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both 3DS and NGP are potentially cool machines, but I find it hard to believe they'll take back the market they're losing to smart phones and tablets.

Sony's strategy in pushing portable AAA games in this day and age is particularly interesting...
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If the standard NGP is $250 the 3DS has already lost. I'll be buying both, but for people looking for both value and how much it has to offer, I'm sure the NGP is going to come out on top this time around. The 3DS doesn't have a $100 edge on the NGP like the DS did versus the PSP, and the NGP has much more to offer than the 3DS. Like I said before. The 3DS is nothing more than a DS with better graphics and 3D that people will use for a whole two hours before they quit using it. The NGP is a more powerful PSP with a multi touch screen, six axis, back touch panel, dual analog, and camera functionality. Doing everything the 3DS can aside from 3D and more.
    It's funny, I would have thought the same thing with the PSP considering it was light years ahead of the DS in it's capabilities, but just like the Lynx and Game Gear finished distant second to the original Gameboy, I'm sure the same thing will happen here again with the NGP and the 3DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's my thoughts in one line:

NGP2 = Not Going to Pay for a "multimedia that plays games" handheld instead of the other way around part II.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It's funny, I would have thought the same thing with the PSP considering it was light years ahead of the DS in it's capabilities, but just like the Lynx and Game Gear finished distant second to the original Gameboy, I'm sure the same thing will happen here again with the NGP and the 3DS.
    The Gameboy had $60 less on the Game Gear and $100 less on the Lynx. Which was the exact same position with the DS and PSP. Unlike the Lynx and Game Gear, though, the original PSP had both a lot of sales and a lot of third party support. Also. The DS had touch screen support so that gave it the advantage over having different games. Now the 3DS has nothing on the NGP other than the second screen which developers still don't take advantage of and a visual effect that has said to strain peoples eyes when watching for a decent period of time and you have to be in the exact location to see the 3d effect.

The only reason the NGP might end up failing now, is if by some chance it gets no third party support, the system is hacked early on for piracy to be as easy as it was on the PSP, or fanboy rage doesn't permit people who are interested in games on the system to buy it just because it's Sony and they feel all butt hurt by supporting another company.

NGP2 = Not Going to Pay for a "multimedia that plays games" handheld instead of the other way around part II.
    You got it backwards. The PSP was first and foremost a gaming device with the secondary option to use media files. The release of the DSi was turning the DS into a gaming/multimedia device, and the 3DS is the exact same thing, now with a 16:9 screen on top and for what purpose? Don't be a hypocrite.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-16-2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's hard to imagine a scenario where the NGP is suddenly going to dominate over the 3DS in the portable arena.

I'm sure it's what you're hoping will happen, but these things are sold on more than just the power of the handheld. Nintendo has had over 20 years of domination in this category of gaming and is coming off it's most successful platform yet. If anything, that matters far more than any technical specification.

While the PSP did quite well compared to past competition (Which I believe was the goal of the PSP), they're not about to suddenly jump out way ahead of Nintendo.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CrazyGamesDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    So you are saying that if both go up against each other head to head at the same price, the Nintendo handheld will lose? I seriously doubt that. Nintendo rules the handheld market and always will. You have to consider the games on the system as well. The launch titles for the 3DS may not be that impressive, but they have some big ones coming up such as the new Mario Kart, Zelda, and the new Super Mario 3DS game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

$250? I can consider picking one up after a few games drop in price...or when it's hacked. *evil grin*

Nah, but seriously, $250 is not that bad, specially when the 3DS will be priced the same. It will be interesting how it will fair head to head (both consoles), though if the past is any indication, Nintendo will eventually win. Though the PSP2 may be close this time around.

Everything IMO, of course.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

*sigh*

Is nobody else frustrated that we're having yet another total sales = biggest penis discussion over Sony & Nintendo handhelds?

Isn't this community supposed to be enthusiasts that could give a lesser crap about sales?

Why does it matter if system X outsells system Y? Why SHOULD it ever matter?

Aren't we the community that revels in appreciating the best that ANY console/portable has to offer regardless of how much it costs or how much it sells?

All I know is that I'll be getting a 3DS and an NGP and regardless of which outsells which I'm quite certain that I'll find plenty to enjoy on both.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Is nobody else frustrated that we're having yet another total sales = biggest penis discussion over Sony & Nintendo handhelds?
    Nah, it's a useless fight since mine is bigger.

Isn't this community supposed to be enthusiasts that could give a lesser crap about sales?
    You are right, though seeing how the internet is (and the people that use it), it's like a futile attempt to express one's own fanboyism, located deep inside the dark depths of a persons heart. Plus, it's fun to see such useless debacles...at least for me, it provides hours of fun observing silly fights online.

All I know is that I'll be getting a 3DS and an NGP and regardless of which outsells which I'm quite certain that I'll find plenty to enjoy on both.
    QFT. I personally will wait for a price drop or to see each console's library. Plus, my money is all tied up on a damn iPad 2 at the moment. *shakes fist as Apple for ignoring PR*
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    You are right, though seeing how the internet is (and the people that use it), it's like a futile attempt to express one's own fanboyism, located deep inside the dark depths of a persons heart. Plus, it's fun to see such useless debacles...at least for me, it provides hours of fun observing silly fights online.
    While that may be true, I still can't help but be frustrated every time one of these discussions degenerates into who will outsell who.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I had a lot of fun with my various psps, and if Sony sells this new portable at 250 for the non-3g version the it will definitely help my wallet out a bit on launch.

I don't care who sells more, I care about having fun gaming experiences. The original PSP delivered on that for me so this is a day one purchase for me.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If it can come in at 250 for the non-3G version.... tempting. Very very tempting. But I kinda want an ipad lol. Decisions decisions.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NGP is going to lose to backwards compatibility. Could be a good system as well, and perhaps even better than the PSP. For all it's failings Sony stuck it out. Impressive on it's own.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    NGP is going to lose to backwards compatibility.
    For UMD discs, but not digital PSP downloads.

PS1 and PSP games purchased on the PSN will work on the NGP and you won't have to re-purchase.

Unless you mean "lose" in terms of a NGP vs. 3DS backwards compatibility contest. In which case, 3DS does have the benefit of working with existing game cartridges.