Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony's New Playstation $250?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both of those is precisely what I meant. They are going to lose the UMD side and Nintendo has an advantage there to press. If the NGP has trouble getting out there, with a price parity or that near to one, it's going to be because of the PSP and DS.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Gizmondo
    You have no idea of how long I called it that. It wasn't until last year a co-worker corrected me.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    All I know is that I'll be getting a 3DS and an NGP and regardless of which outsells which I'm quite certain that I'll find plenty to enjoy on both.
    Same here.

Anyway...what's with all this 3G talk? Isn't 3G on it's way out? You sure as hell can't play online going that slow. Hmm. Not sure what the extra $100 would be for.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Same here.

Anyway...what's with all this 3G talk? Isn't 3G on it's way out? You sure as hell can't play online going that slow. Hmm. Not sure what the extra $100 would be for.
    I have a bunch of iPhone games that work fine for multiplayer on 3G, even some very decent FPS'es sure it's an overall lower speed than most WiFi connections, but a decade ago we were playing FPS'es on dial up, so I'm sure that it'll suffice where applicable.

Also, I think it's mainly for a persistent connection to the PSN and internet.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The hinted $250 pricetag tells me Sony's serious about going head-to-head with 3DS. Plus their relentless crackdown on Jailbreak hacker and a possible November release, the 2011 holidays is shaping up to be the battle of the handhelds.

The only remaining pillar in question are the games (biggest make-or-breaker) and I'm sure we'll see what they're serving at E3 this year. This should be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*sigh*

Is nobody else frustrated that we're having yet another total sales = biggest penis discussion over Sony & Nintendo handhelds?

Isn't this community supposed to be enthusiasts that could give a lesser crap about sales?

Why does it matter if system X outsells system Y? Why SHOULD it ever matter?

Aren't we the community that revels in appreciating the best that ANY console/portable has to offer regardless of how much it costs or how much it sells?

All I know is that I'll be getting a 3DS and an NGP and regardless of which outsells which I'm quite certain that I'll find plenty to enjoy on both.
    I wish more people thought like this, especially here. I guess it's just too much fun to argue over this stuff.

As for me, I'm getting a 3DS on day one, since I've always been a big Nintendo fan and I know I'll enjoy the system. I'm sure I'll pick up an NGP eventually, I always get every major system that is released, but probably not right away unless there's some awesome AAA launch title.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*sigh*

Is nobody else frustrated that we're having yet another total sales = biggest penis discussion over Sony & Nintendo handhelds?

Isn't this community supposed to be enthusiasts that could give a lesser crap about sales?

Why does it matter if system X outsells system Y? Why SHOULD it ever matter?
    More sales = more support. It's as simple as that.

I tried that attitude before. "I'll just play what I like and not even pay attention to sales!" And then I wondered why new Saturn games weren't coming out. Didn't work out so well.

Same thing sorta happened to me again. Just as I was getting ready to get an N-Gage, there was suddenly hardly any games anywhere, and what was left was clearance. I asked a guy a Gamestop and he was like, oh yeah, they're getting rid of that thing, and no more games are coming out for it. I was like, really? I had no idea. I knew that it never sold as well as GBA or anything, but some pretty cool games had come out, and I thought it would stick around a while longer.

That's not to say that either of these systems will be like Saturn or N-Gage. But sales DO matter. The sales of DS and PSP have had a direct effect on their libraries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With the drastic decline of the PSP in much of the world, I doubt the lack of backwards compatibility with UMD's will be much of a factor in sales since many people seemingly have already left it behind.

If it's a major issue anywhere, it's going to be in Japan where the PSP is regularly close the top of sales charts to this day. And with most popular PSP games up on PSN, that should provide a solution that will appease many of the people that view PSP backwards compatibility as important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not if I have to start buying stuff twice. PSN is not backwards compatibility in the full sense, at least in regard to the PSP platform. UMDs were the sole distribution method for PSP how long? Backwards compatibility is a huge determining factor in the last decade. The other side of that is first time owners coming in to the handheld market soon. 3DS will be much more appealing because of the collectively superior DS library they will have access to at used prices.

The whole sales tangent: There is a difference between fanboyism and a hobbyists interest in the growth and health of his favored past time and the hows, whys, and what-fors, that go with it.

This isn't kids league no-score soccer. One should just stay out of the octagon if that's what you are after.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-18-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post

I tried that attitude before. "I'll just play what I like and not even pay attention to sales!" And then I wondered why new Saturn games weren't coming out. Didn't work out so well.

Same thing sorta happened to me again. Just as I was getting ready to get an N-Gage, there was suddenly hardly any games anywhere, and what was left was clearance. I asked a guy a Gamestop and he was like, oh yeah, they're getting rid of that thing, and no more games are coming out for it. I was like, really? I had no idea. I knew that it never sold as well as GBA or anything, but some pretty cool games had come out, and I thought it would stick around a while longer.

That's not to say that either of these systems will be like Saturn or N-Gage. But sales DO matter. The sales of DS and PSP have had a direct effect on their libraries.
    Yes, sales do matter.

Specullative discussions about which one will outsell the other do not and generally serve no purpose but to cause any intelligent conversation to degenerate into a prick-waving contest.

Furthermore, regardless of how little the Saturn and the N-Gage sold, my point is that this is one of the only gaming communities that embraces those systems for better or for worse ... so why do we find the need to nit-pick over sales on systems that are practically guaranteed to sell well enough to the point where those numbers don't even really matter, and even if either or both DON'T have healthy sales cycles, in years to come we're the place where people will have nostalgic discussions about how great those systems were despite how little they sold.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Yes, sales do matter.

Specullative discussions about which one will outsell the other do not and generally serve no purpose but to cause any intelligent conversation to degenerate into a prick-waving contest
    I think it really has to do about history than anything else. I agree that all it transpires to is a bitch slap fight, but I do have to agree that past influence is usually a factor in these fights. That Nintendo will beat the PSP2 with it's 3DS? What basis does a person have to say such a thing? The past. In this case, nothing that has come in direct contact with Nintendo has managed to "steal" it's spot, so therefore certain people will hold this mentality. That no one knows the future? Sure, that is true, but it really doesn't matter much the those folk unless they are proven wrong. For instance, the Playstation 3. People kept saying that it will destroy the competition because it's Sony with the Playstation brand. And look how that turned out overall. Basically what I am saying is that, unless they (the people bitching) are proven wrong, they speculate what they have seen in previous years and state an opinion from that.

Furthermore, regardless of how little the Saturn and the N-Gage sold, my point is that this is one of the only gaming communities that embraces those systems for better or for worse ... so why do we find the need to nit-pick over sales on systems that are practically guaranteed to sell well enough to the point where those numbers don't even really matter, and even if either or both DON'T have healthy sales cycles, in years to come we're the place where people will have nostalgic discussions about how great those systems were despite how little they sold.
    So very true. Though it stems from fear than anything else. I will admit that out of all the tablets out there, I will get the iPad2 (when it's finally fucking released in PR...) because I know it will be supported nicely, unlike other tablets in the market. It's an "investment" (geez I hate that word), so I want to make sure I get the most out of it. But regarding the PSP2 and 3DS, it's obvious that both will receive support and will thrive, unless something ridiculously strange happen that one defeats the other...hell, no one really knows. Honestly, if I had to choose between both consoles, I will choose the 3DS over the PSP2, all because it's Nintendo and it's track record. Funny though, since the PSP2 interests me more than the 3DS, so I hope it really becomes successful.

Time will tell, I assume.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    This isn't kids league no-score soccer. One should just stay out of the octagon if that's what you are after.
    I completely disagree with the notion that comparisons of (in the case of these systems currently NON-EXISTANT) sales numbers do anything to impact/affect the overall quality of any game or console.

And while I do understand that there are those who do enjoy looking at two sets of numbers and saying "this number is bigger therefore the product must be better." I'm not one of those people and I never will be.

I've also been posting on BBSes and web forums long enough to see the complete ciclical futility of those conversations.

Yes, in a consumerist culture they're inevitable and unavoidable, but in a classic game enthusiast community where I percieve that there's a more historically academic/intellectual view of "quality" regardless of mundane minutia like how many units a game or console sold I think the discussion is practically pointlless.

Am I supposed to believe that if the internet had MORE discussions about how many units the N-Gage sold that it would've somehow risen from its own technical failings and become a genunie contender against Nintendo?

If more people talked about the Saturn under-selling, would that somehow change the widely agreed upon facts that it was a mis-managed venture by Sega in the US which ultimately caused its retail demise?

Or to the other side of that argument, if LESS people had gotten on the hating via sales-comparisons, would there have been less consumers swayed by the argument of "the thing that sells better is the better thing"?

Personally, I think that history has shown that for the most part, things stand on their own merits. Occasionally there are external factors, but generally a well made product will sell well enough on its own to not need the static that rah-rah sales contests create in these types of forums.

For those like yourself that enjoy debating to the point of distraction, please feel free to engage in exchanges about which thing is going to outsell OTHER THING, its your right and I certainly can't stop you.

But by the same token, I have the same right to be frustrated when I see those discussions and comment about them as such.

It is my opinion that they contribute absolutely nothing to this or any gaming community and serve little to raise any awareness of quality about any system.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-18-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have learned things from such discussions. I'm learning something now too. Meaning is what you make of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post

But knowing/discussing sales figures for those systems wouldn't have changed that. It almost sounds like what you're really saying is that you wish you'd known those systems were going to bomb, so you could've avoided caring about them and thus not been disappointed when they died.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Both 3DS and NGP are potentially cool machines, but I find it hard to believe they'll take back the market they're losing to smart phones and tablets.
    I still don't really think they're losing market share to multi-function devices like that.

Anyone who's going to buy a 3DS/NGP is the kind of person who already bought a DS/PSP, sort of by extension.

Maybe VERY casual customers, but most of those kind of people just didn't own portables in the first place.

I don't know anyone who was previously a regular portable gamer on a dedicated console who didn't buy the next one because of some multi-function smartphone/tablet alternative.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I completely disagree with the notion that comparisons of (in the case of these systems currently NON-EXISTANT) sales numbers do anything to impact/affect the overall quality of any game or console.

And while I do understand that there are those who do enjoy looking at two sets of numbers and saying "this number is bigger therefore the product must be better." I'm not one of those people and I never will be.

I've also been posting on BBSes and web forums long enough to see the complete ciclical futility of those conversations.

Yes, in a consumerist culture they're inevitable and unavoidable, but in a classic game enthusiast community where I percieve that there's a more historically academic/intellectual view of "quality" regardless of mundane minutia like how many units a game or console sold I think the discussion is practically pointlless.

Am I supposed to believe that if the internet had MORE discussions about how many units the N-Gage sold that it would've somehow risen from its own technical failings and become a genunie contender against Nintendo?

If more people talked about the Saturn under-selling, would that somehow change the widely agreed upon facts that it was a mis-managed venture by Sega in the US which ultimately caused its retail demise?

Or to the other side of that argument, if LESS people had gotten on the hating via sales-comparisons, would there have been less consumers swayed by the argument of "the thing that sells better is the better thing"?

Personally, I think that history has shown that for the most part, things stand on their own merits. Occasionally there are external factors, but generally a well made product will sell well enough on its own to not need the static that rah-rah sales contests create in these types of forums.

For those like yourself that enjoy debating to the point of distraction, please feel free to engage in exchanges about which thing is going to outsell OTHER THING, its your right and I certainly can't stop you.

But by the same token, I have the same right to be frustrated when I see those discussions and comment about them as such.

It is my opinion that they contribute absolutely nothing to this or any gaming community and serve little to raise any awareness of quality about any system.
    I generally agree with you, but I also understand that some people want to speculate about the potential success of a console or handheld because it informs their decision about whether or not to buy it now or wait until the price drops. It also informs decisions about when to start collecting games for it. Having said that, it seems like we are constantly having these discussions lately and there really is very little point as it is 100% speculation until one or the other is released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would be shocked if there is any version of the NGP that costs $250 at launch. I just don't see it. Maybe $299, but not $250.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

shouldnt the 3g enabled one cost LESS than the wifi model as sony is probably going to be making their money back on data plans?

its the same model cell phone companies use, iphone without plan 350, iphone with 2 year contract 200
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    shouldnt the 3g enabled one cost LESS than the wifi model as sony is probably going to be making their money back on data plans?

Nah, else the iPad versions with 3G would be less as well. Even the iPad is at least $100 more than it's "wifi only" version.

It's an extra "add-on", which the company will charge you extra for. The ISP may reduce the price, depending on the plan adhered to, but it's not the same as Sony reducing the MSRP.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    its the same model cell phone companies use, iphone without plan 350, iphone with 2 year contract 200
    You answered your own question. Think about it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.