Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

how in the world did i manage to do that? i dont wanna think, thinking is for girls, just tell me!
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I will be getting the cheaper model because I just don't play online and I can't stand using the regular internet without a keyboard to type. Otherwise typing a letter at a time by selection just takes way too long.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    how in the world did i manage to do that? i dont wanna think, thinking is for girls, just tell me!
    Read my post above.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The reason you get a cell phone for cheap with two year contracts is because just that. It's an incentive to get you to sign up for a contract agreement. That way they can legally rape your wallet for a specific amount of time. Want a new phone free? Extend your contract for the full interval for even more rape.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-21-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The reason you get a cell phone for cheap with two year contracts is because just that. It's an incentive to get you to sign up for a contract agreement. That way they can legally rape your wallet for a specific amount of time. Want a new phone free? Extend your contract for the full interval for even more rape.
    Couldn't say it better myself.

Sure, I can get an iPad 2 cheaper with a contract. However, in the long run, I will be wasting MORE money than what I saved, making the original "savings" mute.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Those guys are making this more confusing than it needs to be. You're right that it seems like the 3G model should actually be cheaper because you are getting stuck with a monthly data plan, but unfortunately, Apple has convinced people that not only should you pay the monthly data plan fee, but also pay more for 3G because it's a little bit more hardware and it's a "feature" over the lower end model. Personally, I think it's ridiculous since you are paying a set monthly see entitling Sony to revenue from you for years to come, but sadly, that's the techno-economy we live in today where cell phones allegedly cost $600 without subsidy and text messages cost ten cents each or require an additional unlimited texting plan despite the fact that they are tiny compared to the amount of data a phone call takes.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Those guys are making this more confusing than it needs to be. You're right that it seems like the 3G model should actually be cheaper because you are getting stuck with a monthly data plan, but unfortunately, Apple has convinced people that not only should you pay the monthly data plan fee, but also pay more for 3G because it's a little bit more hardware and it's a "feature" over the lower end model. Personally, I think it's ridiculous since you are paying a set monthly see entitling Sony to revenue from you for years to come, but sadly, that's the techno-economy we live in today where cell phones allegedly cost $600 without subsidy and text messages cost ten cents each or require an additional unlimited texting plan despite the fact that they are tiny compared to the amount of data a phone call takes.
    No, you're paying more because you're not locked into a monthly contract and because of the chip. 3G iPads all run on a Month to Month and Apple sees NOTHING from the data related fees. They are not running the cell towers, those are all on AT&T and Verizon. Monthly contracts that lock you down = monies. That to them is guaranteed money, as if you leave early your ETF's will bend you over a barrel and take you 3 ways to sunday. A quit when you want / re-up when you want is not a steady revenue stream. Apple is charging more for the 3G chip'd units because with the addition of the 3G, they have to pay additional royalties to the IP holders for that tech, and by them paying for it, it's really you because they are passing on the fees to you with the raised sales price.

Sonys systems will be no different, in part because Apple has made that work and in part because of the licensing fees associated with the 3G and related tech 'under the hood'.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    No, you're paying more because you're not locked into a monthly contract
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 03-21-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    No, you're paying more because you're not locked into a monthly contract and because of the chip. 3G iPads all run on a Month to Month and Apple sees NOTHING from the data related fees. They are not running the cell towers, those are all on AT&T and Verizon. Monthly contracts that lock you down = monies. That to them is guaranteed money, as if you leave early your ETF's will bend you over a barrel and take you 3 ways to sunday. A quit when you want / re-up when you want is not a steady revenue stream. Apple is charging more for the 3G chip'd units because with the addition of the 3G, they have to pay additional royalties to the IP holders for that tech, and by them paying for it, it's really you because they are passing on the fees to you with the raised sales price.

Sonys systems will be no different, in part because Apple has made that work and in part because of the licensing fees associated with the 3G and related tech 'under the hood'.
    Actually, originally Apple did get a share of AT&T subscription fees. In late 2008 they renegotiated with AT&T and settled for additional money for the handset up front which AT&T rather than the subscriber covered. On the iPad side, having a data plan does in fact benefit Apple as those users tend to purchase significantly higher numbers of first party accessories and more importantly, apps for which Apple takes a significant revenue share from each sale.

The difference in chip prices is on the order of mere dollars for the components needed to deliver the 3G capabilities and the licensing fees are also fairly minimal. More to the original point, Sony may or may not get a revenue share from their chosen data provider or may simply become a virtual data plan provider using someone else's infrastructure, so the assumption that the 3G version should cost more is premature at best.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Sony may or may not get a revenue share from their chosen data provider or may simply become a virtual data plan provider using someone else's infrastructure, so the assumption that the 3G version should cost more is premature at best.
    As is the assumption that it shouldn't cost more. Regardless of whether Sony gets any revenue after the fact is irrelevant. You're getting an additional feature and you're not bound by contract which is the reason why you're paying for the additional feature.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    As is the assumption that it shouldn't cost more. Regardless of whether Sony gets any revenue after the fact is irrelevant. You're getting an additional feature and you're not bound by contract which is the reason why you're paying for the additional feature.
    Of course it's relevant and calling it a feature is a real stretch and sadly just plays in to Apple's marketing hype. Cell phone providers subsidize devices because of an expectation that they will make revenue from your data plan, voice plan, text messages, etc...There is nothing stopping Sony from requiring you to use their approved data plan providers just like Apple limits you to Verizon or AT&T. How Sony decides to monetize that decision is entirely up to them and could very well include a revenue share with the provider. People assuming that Apple doesn't make additional revenue from AT&T and Verizon on the 3G devices are just plain wrong. Heck, AT&T paid Apple through various subsidies to have exclusives on the iPhone and iPad up until recently. Yes, you can always cancel your data plan on the iPad, but if you want to make any use of the 3G functionality, you must have a data plan.