Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, EarthBound only checks the cart to make sure it has the right amount of SRAM. Bootleg carts and cart copiers add more, so the game throws up an anti-piracy screen. Then the game checks to see if the SRAM check was removed. If so, then it spawns more enemies. Earthbound does check to see if you're playing on a PAL system, but the result of that check is just another anti-piracy screen. In order to get more spawned enemies and the final boss crash, you would have had to see checks #1 and #2, which are just anti-piracy screens, and then purposefully remove those, triggering checks #3 and #4.

You might just be seeing a higher amount of enemies than you have on your previous playthroughs and mistaking that for 4x enemy spawn. The best way to check is see if Spiteful Crows are spawning outside the Onett Arcade after defeating Frank and his robot. If they are, then yeah you're screwed. But if not, you're safe and you're just being paranoid.
    Last edited by JSnake; 01-17-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSnake View Post
    As far as I know, EarthBound only checks the cart to make sure it has the right amount of SRAM. Bootleg carts and cart copiers add more, so the game throws up an anti-piracy screen. Then the game checks to see if the SRAM check was removed. If so, then it spawns more enemies. Earthbound does check to see if you're playing on a PAL system, but the result of that check is just another anti-piracy screen. In order to get more spawned enemies and the final boss crash, you would have had to see checks #1 and #2, which are just anti-piracy screens, and then purposefully remove those, triggering checks #3 and #4.

You might just be seeing a higher amount of enemies than you have on your previous playthroughs and mistaking that for 4x enemy spawn. The best way to check is see if Spiteful Crows are spawning outside the Onett Arcade after defeating Frank and his robot. If they are, then yeah you're screwed. But if not, you're safe and you're just being paranoid.
    who knows when my supaboy is coming back - hyperkin doesn't even have any in stock right now (though they had 'em at their booth at CES....grrr) - but my Pokefami DX is arriving in a few days (it arrived in Los Angeles yesterday, but I'm in the Bay Area) - as soon as I get it, I'll run up to the last boss fight and see if my save gets erased. No biggie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    who knows when my supaboy is coming back - hyperkin doesn't even have any in stock right now (though they had 'em at their booth at CES....grrr) - but my Pokefami DX is arriving in a few days (it arrived in Los Angeles yesterday, but I'm in the Bay Area) - as soon as I get it, I'll run up to the last boss fight and see if my save gets erased. No biggie.
    be careful, I'm fairly sure it erases ALL sram, meaning you'll loose ALL your saves. make sure you're prepared for that.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    be careful, I'm fairly sure it erases ALL sram, meaning you'll loose ALL your saves. make sure you're prepared for that.
    I'm prepared. Gives me another reason to play through it next time

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, after not being able to contact hyperkin, the amazon reseller told me I can return the supaboy to them for a refund.

Hopefully the poor manufacturing will get sorted out and I'll be able to purchase another one.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To anyone interested IGN just posted a review of the machine this morning and gave it pretty lackluster reviews.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/...ble-nes-review
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    To anyone interested IGN just posted a review of the machine this morning and gave it pretty lackluster reviews.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/...ble-nes-review

I'm as big a SNES fan as the next guy, but am I the only SNES fanatic who doesn't give a care about the Supaboy?

Don't get me wrong, more power to ya if you went out and bought one and you enjoy it. But I don't have a burning desire to play SNES games on a small screen on the go. Give me a comfortable chair, the classic controller and the old fashioned TV screen any day of the week.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!