Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Cyrog,

not to derail this thread, but those adapters ... are those self contained hardware emulators that run Genesis and Famicom through Super Famicom?

Why do they come with AV cords, do they have separate AV out on the back of the adapters or something?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine from Game Gavel yesterday, and it seems to be a perfectly fine unit. There aren't any abnormalities when connected to a TV, the volume doesn't strike me as being unusually loud or soft, and whatever weird electronic hum or tone there is is quiet enough that I pretty much have to put my ear to the speaker to hear it.

Interestingly, this is yet another SNES clone that fails to display the third boss in Super Ghouls & Ghosts. I genuinely wonder if this effect isn't because of some early attempt at piracy protection that Capcom experimented with. It just seems so specific that despite being able to handle Mode 7 effects in every other circumstance, it is this specific moment in this specific game where it chokes.

I'm really curious about those adapter units as well. It suggests some interesting possibilities for future clone products that would bypass the need to produce an entirely new console. If there are going to be new clone consoles, I would suggest strongly at this point, in order to make them worthwhile, looking at new forms of output than composite or even S-video. With the few people I've shared my enthusiasm for regarding the variety of console clones I've bought over the last few years, the one big sticking point that keeps them from jumping in as well is the composite-only output that all of these machines seem to be limited to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Cyrog,

not to derail this thread, but those adapters ... are those self contained hardware emulators that run Genesis and Famicom through Super Famicom?
    Yes , i think this adapters use the same hardware emulators chips that Retron3.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Why do they come with AV cords, do they have separate AV out on the back of the adapters or something?
    The Supaboy not display the image on your own LCD screen with this adapters. Using these cables can see the image on any TV.
    Last edited by Cryog; 12-18-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mine had some problems too - particularly with buzzing sound. Definitely not GameGavel's fault. Hope Hyperkin can replace it quickly.
    Last edited by nusilver; 12-20-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: details wrong

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Despite the sound issues, i was still able to test several games with the Supaboy.

The only ones I had issues with were Kirby Super Star and Super Mario RPG (neither would load), and Yoshi's Island has some sort of visual feedback happening (like when a cable isn't properly shielded). Hopefully this is all taken care of when Hypkerin calls me back to set up an exchange/fix. I spoke to them 2 hours ago and still haven't hear back.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered mine day one from Amazon and (actually I ordered two) and holy hell the video and audio is awful.

I hate to crap on it, I was so excited, but man I dont like it at all. First of all, it seemed used. The seals on the packaging looked opened but then resealed with other clear seals on top of the already opened ones. Then the buttons looked scratched a bit. Maybe I got a beta unit, but that would surprise me considering it's from Amazon.

The sound was AWFUL. I could live with some buzzing but both of them crackled as the volume knob was moved, getting lower, louder, and lower again.

The video is better than the FC16, but not by much. The FC16 had composite dot crawl (my first time EVER seeing that on a portable device) so that makes it worse. But this thing is pretty bad still. The worst is that it looks like it doesn't really fit the screen properly. The image is far from razor sharp; almost interpolated? Could that be because it's running at 320x240 and that is not the SNES' native resolution? Even so, that wouldn't make sense, because the GP2x Wiz is running at 320x240 and SNES on that thing is GORGEOUS.

Is there any way to replace the screen on this thing? Like anywhere I can buy a good quality 3.5" LCD (or hell, even AMOLED) and solder it there or something? It is using that tan ribbon cable that is identical to GPS screens.
    Last edited by DaddyLongLegs; 12-23-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post

Is there any way to replace the screen on this thing? Like anywhere I can buy a good quality 3.5" LCD (or hell, even AMOLED) and solder it there or something? It is using that tan ribbon cable that is identical to GPS screens.
    I think you got a bum unit. My screen is very sharp, bright, clear.

But yes you can replace the screen but you would need a 3.5" that runs off 3.3v and not to many do. I have used over 7 different 3.5" screens in my Nomad mods and none would run below 4.5v.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    I think you got a bum unit. My screen is very sharp, bright, clear.

But yes you can replace the screen but you would need a 3.5" that runs off 3.3v and not to many do. I have used over 7 different 3.5" screens in my Nomad mods and none would run below 4.5v.
    Thanks! Where do you buy yours from? Any good search terms I should use?

And how did I get two bum units?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone have any more experience with testing Mario RPG/Kirby SS on this thing? I received my unit on Christmas but had to RMA it because the speakers wouldn't work. Games would load, though, except for Mario RPG and Kirby. I remembered thinking maybe my unit had an issue with special chip games, so I tried Yoshi's Island and that worked too. Of course none of the games had sound.

I'm hoping that when I get my replacement unit, those two games will work. Are some versions of the games incompatible? I think I've seen a few reports from other people who couldn't get them to work but I've seen more positive reports than negative. Any way to tell right now if my cartridges just won't work while I wait for a replacement?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What are people's experiences regarding the battery and the LED indicator? I naturally assumed that when the battery was running low, it was warn me by having the LED light up red, like the FC-16 Go. Instead, I found out by having the screen suddenly go weak and fuzzy and freak out. I was afraid that I had a defective unit after all and was getting ready to pack it up for replacement.

When I switched out the battery with the one I had in my FC-16 Go, however, the screen went back to normal and I realized that the only problem was that the battery was low. I replaced the battery back again and plugged it in. The LED is lit green, which I assume means its charging; or does it simply light up whenever it is plugged into the AC adapter and it isn't going to give me any indication when the battery is done charging, just as it failed to give any notification that the battery was low?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSnake View Post
    Does anyone have any more experience with testing Mario RPG/Kirby SS on this thing? I received my unit on Christmas but had to RMA it because the speakers wouldn't work. Games would load, though, except for Mario RPG and Kirby. I remembered thinking maybe my unit had an issue with special chip games, so I tried Yoshi's Island and that worked too. Of course none of the games had sound.

I'm hoping that when I get my replacement unit, those two games will work. Are some versions of the games incompatible? I think I've seen a few reports from other people who couldn't get them to work but I've seen more positive reports than negative. Any way to tell right now if my cartridges just won't work while I wait for a replacement?
    I'll answer your question if you answer mine

Regarding your question: If your carts don't work on your Supaboy, they won't work on your replacement. I don't know if this is the case with Kirby (mine doesn't work), but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell which carts will work and which won't, short of opening them or asking sellers to test their carts on a Supaboy or FC Twin. I was luckily able to get Kaboomer's copy of Super Mario RPG that he tested the Supaboy with in his video...I would PM him and ask him to test future copies he receives with his Supaboy.

My questions:

1. When you played Yoshi's Island, did you notice anything wrong with the video? Try level 1-4 when you get the Supaboy back. I noticed some
    strange artifacting on the screen whenever the walls would fall down. Major bummer.

2. How in bloody hell did you get an RMA from Hyperkin? I've called them several times, leaving my name and number with a nice guy the first time and messages the next two times (to be fair, the most recent was 2 hours ago, so hopefully they call in the morning), and have yet to hear from them. I realize it's Christmas season, but they've had a week to return my calls and haven't, and I'm getting very frustrated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post

Regarding your question: If your carts don't work on your Supaboy, they won't work on your replacement. I don't know if this is the case with Kirby (mine doesn't work), but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell which carts will work and which won't, short of opening them or asking sellers to test their carts on a Supaboy or FC Twin. I was luckily able to get Kaboomer's copy of Super Mario RPG that he tested the Supaboy with in his video...I would PM him and ask him to test future copies he receives with his Supaboy.

My questions:

1. When you played Yoshi's Island, did you notice anything wrong with the video? Try level 1-4 when you get the Supaboy back. I noticed some
    strange artifacting on the screen whenever the walls would fall down. Major bummer.

2. How in bloody hell did you get an RMA from Hyperkin? I've called them several times, leaving my name and number with a nice guy the first time and messages the next two times (to be fair, the most recent was 2 hours ago, so hopefully they call in the morning), and have yet to hear from them. I realize it's Christmas season, but they've had a week to return my calls and haven't, and I'm getting very frustrated.
    That's really discouraging. I guess all I can do is hope that the one or two times I tested the games before giving up wasn't enough.

I didn't try Yoshi's Island for long at all. I booted all the games to their title screen to make sure they worked and as soon as I verified that they did, I sent my Supaboy back for a replacement with working speakers.

I didn't get an RMA from Hyperkin themselves. I ordered mine from Amazon and sent it back to them. I, too, had trouble with Hyperkin not returning my messages.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I'm not strictly making any excuses for Hyperkin, it is only a few days after X-Mas.

Give them some time to recoil from the holiday season.

From everything I know about them I'm certain that they'll make good, just be reasonable in your expectations of service within the window of holiday-volume shopping/shipping/returns.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not that upset about that considering I was able to get a replacement via Amazon. I'm just heavily disappointed that Mario RPG/Kirby compatibility seems to be a crapshoot. Do you guys know if Hyperkin will offer support to people whose carts don't work?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first heard Hyperkin was making this I was very hyped over the product.

Now it's in my hands and I have strongly mixed feelings about it.

The screen has good contrast and colors but the details are blurry as I've ever seen on a handheld. Texts are occasionally difficult to read and sometimes it seems as though there is interference moving across the screen of the radio waves kind. It's reminiscent of the old RF cables I'd use ages ago, perhaps as another member said it's almost as if interpolated.

Does anyone with a good unit have this issue?

The sound has a noise to it, it's not as bad as I had read but it's there, on the bright side I find the volume to be pretty strong, I put it to about %25 of it's maximum.

Also does anyone see a light above the U and P in the Supaboy logo below the screen? I find it awkward to see this, doesn't give the impression of a good build. I also can see dust particles under the screen.
    Last edited by Taiyaki; 12-28-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My questions:

I'm at work now and tied up with PlayStation business, but I wanted to make a quick post that I've already been contacted privately by Tofu about Hyperkin making this experience great for me! Tofu, I will send you my information as soon as I get our VP of engineering off my back.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm at work now and tied up with PlayStation business, but I wanted to make a quick post that I've already been contacted privately by Tofu about Hyperkin making this experience great for me! Tofu, I will send you my information as soon as I get our VP of engineering off my back.
    And, at last, I have an RMA. Thanks, all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And, at last, I have an RMA. Thanks, all.
    Was the only problem on yours the sound?

Does anyone else have that light below the screen through the plastic above the U of the Supaboy writing?

I don't even know whether my version is a correct one and whether I should write reviews on this model or not.
    Last edited by Taiyaki; 12-28-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    Was the only problem on yours the sound?

Does anyone else have that light below the screen through the plastic above the U of the Supaboy writing?

I don't even know whether my version is a correct one and whether I should write reviews on this model or not.
    You have a prototype from our first product run. Usually there is a numbered sticker right besides the 'reset' button, but those can come off very easily.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    You have a prototype from our first product run. Usually there is a numbered sticker right besides the 'reset' button, but those can come off very easily.
    Do you know how many of these units went around? I bought this copy on ebay from a seller that was carrying at least 30 of them.

I doubt I can return it, I'm currently located in France.

I just noticed that I didn't get a pouch either, in the reviews I've seen others receive a pouch to put the system in. I also notice upon closer examination the start and select buttons have some light wear, as well as the A button.
    Last edited by Taiyaki; 12-28-2011 at 02:59 PM.