Quote Originally Posted by bobotech View Post
I wonder though for emulation if you could have a faux scan line generator that would work with the light guns.

Since in a nutshell, the main problem is that a modern display shows each individual pixel as always on rather than having an election gun turning it on 30 times a second. So you could conceivably write the emulator in such a way as to draw the picture on the screen 30 times a second and erase it 30 times a second but with the proper Z timing (draw then reach the end of the line and drop down and repeat) but then erase those pixels a millisecond later in the same Z pattern. That would mean you would be drawing the screen in a way that emulates the CRT way of drawing the screen which could possibly allow the light gun to read the screen the same way it does on a CRt.

I have no idea if that is even remotely possibly but in theory it sounds like it would work If you wanted to have something like that for actual systems though, it would have to be a hardware device that does the same thing with inputs for composite/s-video.
Yes this is what I was getting at. By the way, I tried my Sega 3D glasses for SMS on an old CRT PC monitor, and it worked but not well at all. I think, unfortunately, it's a pipe dream.