Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete King's Field releases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Complete King's Field releases

Newest pictures: (Click for larger versions!)

So, I'm looking for any variant of all of the King's Field games. This would include reprints, rereleases, various localizations - basically any copy that isn't 100% like another!

I've listed the games according to their Japanese numbering. KFII is known in North America and Europe as KF, KFIII and KFIV is known in North America as KFII and KF: The Ancient City.

King's Field:
    - NTSC-J
    - - Original, SLPS-00017 [x]
    - - PSone Books, SLPS-91401 [x]
    King's Field II:
    - NTSC-J
    - - Original, SLPS-00069 [x]
    - - The Best, SLPS-91003 v1.8A [x]
    - - The Best, SLPS-91003 v1.8B [x]
    - - PSone Books, SLPS-91423 [x]
    - NTSC-U
    - - Original, SLUS-00158 [x]
    - - Original, long sleeve #1, SLUS-00158 [x]
    - - Original, long sleeve #2, SLUS-00158 [x]
    - PAL
    - - Original, English/French/German, SCES-00510 [x]
    - - Original, Dutch/German/Italian/French, SCES-00510 [x]
    - - Original, Spanish/Portuguese/Greek, SCES-00510 [x]
    - - Promo disc [x]
    King's Field III:
    - NTSC-J
    - - Original, SLPS-00377 [x]
    - - The Best, SLPS-91089 [x]
    - - PSone Books, SLPS-91426 [x]
    - - Power Completist, SLPS-00377 [x]
    - NTSC-U
    - - Original, SLUS-00255 [x]
    King's Field IV:
    - NTSC-J
    - - Original, SLPS-25057 [x]
    - NTSC-U
    - - Original, SLUS-20318 [x]
    - PAL
    - - Original, English & Italian, SLES-50920 [x]
    - - Original, French, SLES-50920 [x]
    - - Original, German, SLES-50920 [x]
    - - Original, Spanish, SLES-50920 [x]
    - - Promo disc [x]
    King's Field Additional:
    - Japan
    - - Original, UCAS-40100
    - - Original, ULJS-00070 [x]
    King's Field Additional II:
    - Japan
    - - Original, UCAS-40105
    - - Original, ULJS-00076 [x]
    Other King's Field Releases:
    - NTSC-J
    - - King's Field I-IV Dark Side Box, SLPS-25725 [x]
    - - King's Field III: Pilot Style, SLPM-80029

If anyone know of more variants and releases, please inform me!

[x] = In collection
    Last edited by Guyra; 01-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't forget the 2 cardboard long boxes for KF1 (US) that have different colorings. one is much darker than the other.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

are you gonna hit up the ps1 "shadow tower" im not sure if it was a spiritual successor or if it was separate, but it used the same game engine.

*edited for spelling

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playsta..._box/index.htm

here is a good page for info on ps1 box variations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Already got them, under "long sleeve #1/#2".

And yeah, I'll probably start on the two Shadow Tower games, plus Eternal Ring, Demons Souls and Dark Souls, and Echo Night.

Thanks for the link, though I've already been to that site. That's where I first found out about there being two different long sleeve versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I think I've found all the variants out there. Now I just need to get hold of them all. So far, I've got exactly half(15/30), but I've got another two on their way: KFAII and Dark Side Box(since the one I had disappeared during moving).

The two that will be the hardest to find are KFIII - Power Completist and KFIII - Pilot Style. It seems these are really, really rare. If anyone come across one of either, do not hesitate getting it! (Or let me know of it, hehehe! ;D)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Interestingly enough I just found a copy of Shadow Tower for $10 at a local CD store, main reason I picked it up is because it had "From the creators of Kings Field" written on it. Glad to see there's a little King's Field love going on around here.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, that's a nice find! I've actually got a Japanese release of Shadow Tower on its way.

I haven't played Shadow Tower myself, but from what I understand it's very much like King's Field, but there's no music. At all. Which is a weird design choice, if you ask me. And the music was one of the things that made KF as good as it is, in my opinion.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Haha, I mentioned this topic to my fiance and he offers his praise. He loves the King's Field series.

As for Shadow Tower, I think the lack of music works for it. If playing King's Field is like being in Hell (and I mean that in the most positive way possible, haha), then Shadow Tower is like... uh, what's worse than Hell? :P Truly a horrifying, unnerving game, without even being a genuine horror game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, give your fiancé a big double thumbs up from me, then!

Well, I've only seen videos and read about Shadow Tower so far, but it's without a doubt a game I will play through. I've nothing against weird design choices(sometimes weird choices work quite well), I'm just a huge fan of the music in the King's Field games.

Horrifying and unnerving, eh? That sounds just up my alley...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    I haven't played Shadow Tower myself, but from what I understand it's very much like King's Field, but there's no music. At all. Which is a weird design choice, if you ask me. And the music was one of the things that made KF as good as it is, in my opinion.
    The game really is something else, I must have spent an hour trying to get past the very beginning of the game and then died some more until I was able to find a save spot. You won't even notice that the games lack of soundtrack, it's filled with soo many sounds and small noises, you'll be too worried about what's to come or what could be following you.

It's similar to King's Field control wise, but it's more of what laid the grounds for Demon's Soul. One interesting thing is that instead of leveling up, certain stats are raised depending on what enemies you kill. Your weapons and armor may break rather quickly and instead of using money to repair them, you use your own health. Also, HP/MP potions always fully fill up your HP/MP no matter what, which is a rather interesting design choice that I wish more games would have followed.

Horrifying and unnerving, eh? That sounds just up my alley...
    For a game that's over a decade old, the atmosphere is perfect and there's always a sense of dread around every corner. The game actually had me jump at one point when I opened a secret door and was greeted by a nasty surprise.
    Last edited by exit; 05-26-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Interestingly enough I just found a copy of Shadow Tower for $10 at a local CD store, main reason I picked it up is because it had "From the creators of Kings Field" written on it. Glad to see there's a little King's Field love going on around here.
    Did somebody say KING'S FIELD!

*Owner of the Dark Side box here*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@exit: Well, it's definitely a game I will play once I get the chance. It both sounds and looks good.

@Edmon Dantes: Ah, the Dark Side box is really nice! Too bad they didn't release it outside of Japan, though. Anyway, I used to have it, but it got lost while moving. (That's what you get for not doing it yourself, I guess. :P ) So now I've got another copy on its way from an eBay seller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another huge King's Field fan here. Nothing to add though, it seems like you've got everything.

I'll second the Shadow Tower suggestion, fantastic game. I'll also mention that Shadow Tower actually has a sequel on the PS2 (Shadow Tower Abyss) that's also very good. It's NTSC-J only though.

I'm actually a huge fan of FromSoftware all together, they're my favorite developer. I hope to one day own all of their releases. Right now I have about 3/4ths of them.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yeah, a part of me kinda wants to own the equivalent Armored Core box. But I don't know enough Japanese to justify that (hell, I don't know enough for KF--I bought it just to have it ready when I did).

So far my favorite game in the series is KFII (going by Japanese numbering).

Also, yes, pick up Shadow Tower. You have to get used to some slightly different game mechanics but if you have a King's Field fix and have already played King's Field, well... and yes, its fairly creepy. Taken from a guy who thought Silent Hill was silly.

Nobody's recommended Eternal Ring yet? It's pretty good too. The main drawback is that its more linear than the KF games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'll definitely going to check out Shadow Tower. It's prioritized after any King's Field releases, anyway. In fact, I even have the Japanese release on its way from an eBay seller.

@Edmond Dantes: Yes, that's my favourite game, too. It was the first I played in the series, but I also think it's the best even without the nostalgia.

Regarding Eternal Ring, I didn't think that one was that good. It was very linear, and the story wasn't very good either, in my opinion. There was no special atmosphere, it suffered from a lot of bad level design, and it was very lacking when it came to gameplay elements. Melee weapons were just about useless, and there were only a handful of weapons in the whole game. And the ring crafting system was, like, 60% random.

So I was a bit disappointed with Eternal Ring. I had expected much better. :/ But, it goes into the "related to KF" part of my collection - already have the PAL release. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes
    Yeah, a part of me kinda wants to own the equivalent Armored Core box.
    I want the Machine Side Box too. It's a pretty rare find, but I'll get it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra
    Yes, that's my favourite game, too. It was the first I played in the series, but I also think it's the best even without the nostalgia.
    I always find myself going back to KF III. KF II was the first I played, but there's just something about III for me. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra
    Regarding Eternal Ring, I didn't think that one was that good.
    Did you play it when it came out though? It wasn't that bad for a PS2 launch title. I was expecting more too, but I thought it was still a fun game. It was like King's Field lite, and it definitely set the stage for King's Field IV, which I thought was great.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

wow, this thread makes me want to reassess my (negative) feelings about King's Field. I remember getting it on release thinking "3D Action RPG??? YEAH!" and playing it for about a month before giving up in a frustration/boredom combination.

But that was impatient 15 year old me. Something tells me I missed something, huh?
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Another FromSoftware fan here.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    I want the Machine Side Box too. It's a pretty rare find, but I'll get it some day.
    That one's going in my collection at some point, despite never having played any of the games, hehe!

I always find myself going back to KF III. KF II was the first I played, but there's just something about III for me. It's one of my favorite games of all time.
    KFIII was also great, but personally I think KFII was slightly better. But those two are, in my eyes, two halves of a whole.

Did you play it when it came out though? It wasn't that bad for a PS2 launch title. I was expecting more too, but I thought it was still a fun game. It was like King's Field lite, and it definitely set the stage for King's Field IV, which I thought was great.
    No, I actually played it quite recently. It may have been a decent launch title, but I'd have to say mainly regarding the graphics. KFIV was good though.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    wow, this thread makes me want to reassess my (negative) feelings about King's Field. I remember getting it on release thinking "3D Action RPG??? YEAH!" and playing it for about a month before giving up in a frustration/boredom combination.

But that was impatient 15 year old me. Something tells me I missed something, huh?
    While the King's Field games isn't for anyone, it is worth trying out. Or in your case, retrying I guess. The game does demand some patience from the player at certain points, but not overly much. And it can be a challenge at times, too. But if you still have it, can borrow it, or buy it cheap, I would at least suggest giving it another go.