Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do I keep buying console JRPG's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Why do I keep buying console JRPG's?

I just saw Record of Agarest War on Amazon for $18. I bought it. Another JRPG to sit sealed on the shelf for years.

I'm starting to wonder why I keep buying cheap JRPG's. I rarely open them, let alone play them. Finish one? Not since FFXII in late '06. (Handheld JRPG's are a little easier to digest. I've can get through 1-2 per year on the DS or PSP.)

The fact is...I've bought over 25 JRPG's for the 360, PS3, PS2, and Wii in the last 6 years and have only attempted playing 2 or 3. I still have that PS1/PS2-era mentality that if I don't buy a JRPG when it's available at retail, I'll be forced to pay 3x the amount on eBay later.

The JRPG genre used to be my favorite genre, easily comprising 90% of my play time. Now I have a fraction of the time to play and most of that is spent with friends playing online FPS's. While the desire to buy JRPG's still exists, the desire to play them is gone. Or at least is 99% gone. Tastes change and responsibilities increase as the years pass by.

Not a big deal, just wondering if anyone else is still buying these things and never opening or playing them.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I still purchase them and play them for handhelds because the games are better. So far every JRPG I've played on the PS3 aside from Valkyria Chronicle(and Demon's Souls, even though I don't count it as an RPG) has either sucked, or hasn't had even near the quality that RPGs during the PS2 era and especially the PSX.

The problem with RPGs now days is that most RPGs are being developed by either NIS, Gust, or Idea Factory. In my opinion, these are three companies that make games in the genre but they're not any good. NIS developed the PSP game ZHP Unlosing Ranger vs Dark Death Evilman I liked, but other than that they haven't developed any RPGs I like, PS2 or otherwise.

NIS should really stick with games that aren't in the RPG genre. Prinny and Prinny 2 are amazing. I haven't yet played Badman, but it looks like it would be good.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-19-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're so burnt out on JRPGs, maybe you just need a long break- like 10 years...develop a new obsession. I too have a large backlog of RPGs on the shelf, but I'm gonna finish them all, damnit. I'll be 99 years old, just cracking open Ys 7 with a toothless grin.
    Spoon!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Fontaine Le Funk; 05-19-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's my million dollar question. The rate at which I buy them versus the rate at which I complete them is so horribly off. I still want to play them, but it's slow going and I don't have the stomach to play them back-to-back. For every RPG I do play, I need a few short, action-based games in between.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I'm currently trying to play Infinite Undiscovery...the clue word being TRYING.

For some reason, I just can't get into the game. Same with other games of the genre. Part of me thinks it's because I miss the old, classic RPG's.

I've pretty much stopped getting games in general, for similar reasons mentioned above.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post

For some reason, I just can't get into the game. Same with other games of the genre. Part of me thinks it's because I miss the old, classic RPG's.
    It's just 'cause the game stinks. I'm probably the biggest tri-Ace fan on the entire board, and as much as I tried to make myself find the best in the game, it was still like pulling teeth to play it. It's got heart and interesting ideas, but it's basically a half-finished project. Most people are even harsher on the game than I am. If you're trying to form an interest in modern RPGs, I think you'll have to try out a different one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a forum for collectors right? You dont need to beat your games right away , all of us on this forum got a huge backlog of games rpg and non rpg. I eventually get to a game i bought earliar cause it just hits me to get into it , maybe you should stop acting like you need to finish everything you get , i dont think most people here could ever finish their whole collections.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a forum for collectors right? You dont need to beat your games right away , all of us on this forum got a huge backlog of games rpg and non rpg. I eventually get to a game i bought earliar cause it just hits me to get into it , maybe you should stop acting like you need to finish everything you get , i dont think most people here could ever finish their whole collections.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

I feel the same way!

Similar to how a heroin addict tries to relive that first "high" or a gambler attempts to relive the big "score" is the RPG addict trying to relive the moment when they were playing FF6 and it just seemed like the most enthralling and rewarding experience in video gaming. You can [Insert gaming experience here] but I think everybody knows what I'm talking about.

We look at the cute graphics, the box art and the characters and think "maybe this is it".

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. These games are being churned out at a frantic pace using a generic, repetitive format. The focus has shifted from storyline, gameplay, character development, etc. to making the coolest looking CGI, the coolest looking spell casts and the most feminized characters that now always seem to be falling in love with each other.

Not to mention most of us who grew up on quality "golden era" RPGs are in out 30s now or older. We just are not as easily captivated nor have the time we once did.

It's complicated...

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I just saw Record of Agarest War on Amazon for $18. I bought it. Another JRPG to sit sealed on the shelf for years.

I'm starting to wonder why I keep buying cheap JRPG's. I rarely open them, let alone play them. Finish one? Not since FFXII in late '06. (Handheld JRPG's are a little easier to digest. I've can get through 1-2 per year on the DS or PSP.)

The fact is...I've bought over 25 JRPG's for the 360, PS3, PS2, and Wii in the last 6 years and have only attempted playing 2 or 3. I still have that PS1/PS2-era mentality that if I don't buy a JRPG when it's available at retail, I'll be forced to pay 3x the amount on eBay later.

The JRPG genre used to be my favorite genre, easily comprising 90% of my play time. Now I have a fraction of the time to play and most of that is spent with friends playing online FPS's. While the desire to buy JRPG's still exists, the desire to play them is gone. Or at least is 99% gone. Tastes change and responsibilities increase as the years pass by.

Not a big deal, just wondering if anyone else is still buying these things and never opening or playing them.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

I have a big collection of RPG games in my room and yet, I only finished about 40% of them To me, RPG games have this amazing aura that is beyond the concept of artistic and economic value and surmount most (if not all) sport games for some mysterious reason. xD
    Last edited by Zama; 05-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I've pretty much stopped getting games in general, for similar reasons mentioned above.
    It turns out to be alright, but nothing special. It was worth playing through once but it's hardly the best RPG on the 360. Try Lost Odyssey instead, it's a better game.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i realized that i no longer give a fuck about jrpgs after playing resonance of fate for around 10 hours and realized this shit felt like homework

at first i thought the decline was just in final fantasy, but now its every jrpg i touch, i think its because after playing through a good chunk of my ps1 jrpg backlog, i realized i was just basically playing the same game over and over again, the graphics have just gotten better

its time for western rpgs to shine, no more blue eyed blonde haired japanese kids with 17 zippers in their jackets with amnesia or newly discovered magic powers saving the world, i dont want the story dictated to me, i want to make my own story

.....i do love the persona series tho, goddamn do i love that series
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    i realized that i no longer give a fuck about jrpgs after playing resonance of fate for around 10 hours and realized this shit felt like homework

at first i thought the decline was just in final fantasy, but now its every jrpg i touch, i think its because after playing through a good chunk of my ps1 jrpg backlog, i realized i was just basically playing the same game over and over again, the graphics have just gotten better

its time for western rpgs to shine, no more blue eyed blonde haired japanese kids with 17 zippers in their jackets with amnesia or newly discovered magic powers saving the world, i dont want the story dictated to me, i want to make my own story

.....i do love the persona series tho, goddamn do i love that series
    I totally agree, especially in regards to the Persona series. Goddamn amazing.

There's no shame in a significant backlog (assuming that your bills are paid and you bathe regularly): you own the games, not the other way around. If you're getting your jollies playing with your friends online, who cares how many JRPG's are sitting on your shelf?

Make sure you open that Agarest War though, just for the ridiculous MASSIVE TITTY MOUSE PAD WITH REAL WRIST-ON-TITTY RESTING ACTION. A classier and more sophisticated pack in item there never was. Thanks, Japan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

If you want a JRPG that will renew your faith in the genre, try Rogue Galaxy. I'm in the middle of playing it right now and it's an amazing game. Good graphics, good voice acting, interesting story, good gameplay, etc.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'd still like to know how somebody can un-discover something, much less do it infinitely.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'd still like to know how somebody can un-discover something, much less do it infinitely.
    Probably trying to emphasize that there is an infinite amount of undiscovered items/events on the game.

That, or the game designers were high when they came up with the name.

I say the later.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will agree about Rogue Galaxy...although some of the dungeons are LOOOOONG! Everything Level 5 does is totally kick-ass so far!

I really liked Last Remnant but it got so overwhelming...just too much to do! I liked FFXIII but it was VERY linear...almost too much for the story to overcome.

JRPGs need to learn to focus on the story and not the battle system. We don't need a million fetch quests anymore. We don't need a bajillion hidden items. RPGs need to be about telling a great story and making it flow. That's the problem. And with regular games getting near as complex as RPGs, it's hard to condense the format to flow as well as more action based story games.

I think JRPGs just need to work on story pacing...keep things flowing regularly, and work on trimming down the ridiculously complex battle systems
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Probably trying to emphasize that there is an infinite amount of undiscovered items/events on the game.

That, or the game designers were high when they came up with the name.

I say the later.
    I think that they should have titled Borderlands "Infinite Gun Discovery"

BAZINGA!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

I stopped buying new JRPGs around 2006 after Valkyrie Profile 2 (which was awesome, but like the 1st, I couldn't sink the time into it to finish). I bought FF 13, was terribly disappointed, and sold it a few months later.
    The closest things to JRPGs I've played, enjoyed, and FINISHED on current consoles are the Yakuza series. Good stuff.
    My problem with JRPGs now is they just feel like the same old, stale, plots rehashed from ten years ago.

Silent/angsty teen + a funny person + an annoying female anime cliche + quest through X amount of dungeons to obtain Y things to stop demon overlord/military dictator with evil scheme and maybe angsty teen learns how to deal with life and/or falls in love with annoying female anime cliche.

That about sums up 90% of JRPGs. Follow this formula and you'll save yourself hundreds of hours of your life!