Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of roaches in an Xbox 360/Wii?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default How to get rid of roaches in an Xbox 360/Wii?

So I got a pretty decent score from Craigslist on a Wii and an Xbox 360. Get them home and realize they smell like shit, are full of dead bugs and even some living ones. It's disgusting. What's the best way to get rid of these and clean them out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Open the console and give it a thorough clean. Might be disgusting, but it seems to be the best way.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Open the console and give it a thorough clean. Might be disgusting, but it seems to be the best way.
    Well, I don't want to break the seal and void the warranty. I'm hoping there is another way.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm View Post
    Well, I don't want to break the seal and void the warranty. I'm hoping there is another way.
    If there is a bug infestation inside the console, chances are you've already voided the warranty. The warranty doesn't cover the introduction of outside substances or vermin. Just crack it open and clean them out if this is a real problem and not just a troll post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This doesn't seem to make any sense considering insects usually stay away from electronics? I once I heard it was because of the smell/frequencies? Maybe that's BS, but seriously? Did the seller shove a corpse into the consoles, then leave it in the outside for a week? A warranty is also voided when negligence can be proven, like leaving it sit in the sun for a day, or spilling grape soda in it, or leaving your consoles in a pile manure for a month and let it collect insects?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drath View Post
    This doesn't seem to make any sense considering insects usually stay away from electronics? I once I heard it was because of the smell/frequencies? Maybe that's BS, but seriously? Did the seller shove a corpse into the consoles, then leave it in the outside for a week? A warranty is also voided when negligence can be proven, like leaving it sit in the sun for a day, or spilling grape soda in it, or leaving your consoles in a pile manure for a month and let it collect insects?
    Ahahahahaha! Are you kidding me?! Roaches fucking LOVE electronics!

I used to live in one of the most roach infested parts of the New Orleans (the French Quarters) in the 70's, and I'll NEVER forget or get over the way that receivers always had dead roaches in the little windows in the front with the analog oscilloscope needle thingies (that always had a white background, which only made matters worse). It was so disgusting because you literally couldn't remove them without taking the whole thing apart, and people weren't that tech savvy back in the day, so there they stayed. Atari 2600's we HAVENS for cockroaches and earwigs and shit. Even when we moved to a less bug infested area, they'd somehow still find their way into electronics. They'd forsake the cabinets and walls to roost in game consoles.

I still have nightmares today!
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-24-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Double Post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There's really nothing you can do that I can think of if you want it thoroughly cleaned. I suppose you can open the 360's system tray and unplug it (to keep the tray open) and use a powerful vacuum with a narrow slotted attachment and hope for the best, but I don't see how you'll be able to clean it out any better without opening the case. The Wii however, I don't know what to tell you.

Honestly, I'd feel like the benefits of cleaning the system outweigh voiding the warranty -- they probably did cost you all that much since you get them off of Craigslist after all. Are you sure they're even under warranty? Do you have the original receipt for them?

Man, this thread brings me back to the late 80's. I remember how full of roaches my stored consoles got. Urgh...so freaking nasty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cracking it open and physically cleaning the unit is likely your only option.

I'm not sure what the warranty covers precisely, but there's a good chance that having bugs inside is already a warranty-breaker.

Be careful about where you keep the units in the meantime. Maybe seal them off until you can clean them properly, outside of your home. The last thing anyone wants is to "inherit" someone else's bug problem. Roaches likely won't stick around in a clean house (no abundant food supply), but something like bed bugs could haunt you for years.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

That's vile.

Saw a few consoles like that back in my Funcoland days. Always equal parts shocking, disgusting and insulting that somebody would even attempt to sell something in that condition. Needless to say I wouldn't even consider buying one. (Though, no fault to you for not noticing it until it was too late.)

I have no interest in touching something that insects have lived, bred and shat in, and I hope you've considered the likleyhood that there could still be eggs in there that could hatch and infest your own home.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    That's vile.

Saw a few consoles like that back in my Funcoland days. Always equal parts shocking, disgusting and insulting that somebody would even attempt to sell something in that condition. Needless to say I wouldn't even consider buying one. (Though, no fault to you for not noticing it until it was too late.)

I have no interest in touching something that insects have lived, bred and shat in, and I hope you've considered the likleyhood that there could still be eggs in there that could hatch and infest your own home.
    Seriously. I wouldn't even give shit like that away. You have to understand how much I hate roaches. My disgust of roaches is only barely edged out by my love for video games. That being so, I've actually cleaned the boards of Atari's and Intellivisions with SOAP AND WATER (and they still worked!) because I couldn't bring myself to toss a console (that was mine) and I wouldn't pass something bug infested on to someone else.

Just foul. :^(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yeah, I think that may be my only option, I hate it because I only bought them to resell but I did unfortunately pay a decent amount for the lot so tossing them out is not something I want to do. I need to bag them up in the mean-time. I just don't understand how someone can live like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm View Post
    Yeah, I think that may be my only option, I hate it because I only bought them to resell but I did unfortunately pay a decent amount for the lot so tossing them out is not something I want to do. I need to bag them up in the mean-time. I just don't understand how someone can live like that.
    You can't resell stuff like that to some poor unsuspecting individual, so I hope you meant you couldn't pass it along to someone else.

Even cleaned inside and out, most people aren't going to want it in their homes. It's bad enough that you might've unknowingly introduced something you don't want into your own home (hopefully you got away with it), but you can't ask someone else to pay for the opportunity to have something like roaches infesting their own home.

You need to return the mess and demand a refund.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-24-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't care what it cost, that shit would find it's way to the trash. That's just gross man. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling the systems to someone else after the fact, and I most certainly wouldn't want the consoles in my house (bagged up or otherwise).

The last thing you need is a house full of roaches because you wanted to make a few bucks off of craigslist.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

eat them
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Get your money back

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to make sure.

Seriously, you can clean it, but who knows what surprises (eggs?) might still be in there - I'd say at the very least, once you clean it as best you can (and with the droppings that are no doubt in there, that's not going to be 100% clean), be sure to quarantine it in something for a good while - just to make sure.

In answer to one of the other questions on the topic, yeah - I remember reading somewhere that roaches are actually attracted to electromagnetic fields.
    Mostly Harmless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a teacher of mine who was a former exterminator was once sent to an abandoned tv station building that still had some wires hooked in around and he flipped up the floorboards to find AN ENTIRE LAYER OF ROACHES AAAAUUUUGGGGHHH
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is why everytime I buy an old console somewhere I bring it out to my garage and. Spray the board down with electronic cleaner and have at it with a toothbrush before I bring it inside my house. They like the heat from standby mode electronics especially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tiidonator

nasty stuff...

I'd put it in a locker or some other small room and bugspray that room (don't bugspray the machine itself). The poisoned air should kill the bugs. Then you open the machine up, clean it nicely, wash the chassis and thigns should be good.
    Do you know if the machine even works ?
    mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa :P