Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optional controllers worth getting?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Optional controllers worth getting?

Which are some recommended optional controllers (not bundled with the original system) to get?

The 6-button pad on the Megadrivee/Genesis is a must, as is the Dreamcast arcade stick (marketed in the USA by Agetec, I think)

Which are some other controllers players should get?

Also, a more concise question: is a Turbostick worth getting?
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

The first that comes to mind is the Saturn 3D controller for Nights and a couple other games. And ... well, nothing else really unless you get pretty specialized like Steel Battalion or the many music games. And if you count those, I'd have to say the whole Samba de Amigo setup for the Dreamcast. Packaging is cool and they are pretty usable, too.

there are other good 3rd party controller that I can't think of. And now that I say that, there is an N64 one that is a different layout than the original that is quite good. Will have to look up the name of it later unless someone else chimes in.

Damnit, now I'm thinking of a Hori stick for GC that is more of a control pad that is supposed to be great, but I've never used.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'd say that the Saturn 3d pad is definitely worth getting. NiGHTs plays better with it, and it's a damn solid controller, anyway. The PC engine 6 button pads, either the Avenue Pad 6 or Hori Fighting Commander PC, are must haves for Street Fighter II' and the few other games that make use of it, but probably not worth grabbing if you don't want the system's fighters. When it comes to the Neo Geo, I actually rather like the Neo Geo CD pad, since I learned fighters on control pads rather than proper arcade sticks, but it's probably not worth getting if you generally prefer arcade sticks, particularly considering how unreliable the pads are.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best I've ever come across is now quite expensive. I picked up a Namco Joystick for PS1 at EB years ago for $20. Now they're stupid pricey on ebay. Best joystick I've ever used and works fantastically with MAME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Well this is a big general topic and there's a lot of controllers I own that I can recommend, but one I think is pretty essential is the Hori Mini Pad for the N64. (shown on the right of the big red trident)

The analog stick is significantly better than the stock controller's, the Z button is available in two places, the buttons feel great and the whole thing is very light yet doesn't feel cheap. The placement of the dpad sucks though. If you've playing games that need the Dpad but not the analog (such as Pokemon Puzzle League), use the stock controller.

Even though the pad is small, you shouldn't have any problems with it unless you have absolutely MASSIVE hands (if you think the Dreamcast or original launch Xbox pads are normal sized controllers)

It's a Japan only controller that will need to be imported.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The 6 button Jaguar controller is a must buy for anyone that owns a Jaguar.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Biohazard (Resident Evil) controller for ps1 is fucking bad ass extreme!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I really like the Sega 6-Button arcade stick for the Genesis. Not a critical purchase, but the feel is nice and it adds to those great arcade ports.

Also the keypad-dongle for Colecovision which allows you to have buttons when using your favorite Atari/Genesis/etc controllers with the CV.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

The SNES ASCIIPad. Once you go ASCIIPad, you'll never go back to the stock SNES controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Hori digital controller for Gamecube. The normal Gamecube controller has an awful d-pad. The Hori digital controller, while marketed for the Game Boy Player, is a must for any 2d Gamecube game.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Well this is a big general topic and there's a lot of controllers I own that I can recommend, but one I think is pretty essential is the Hori Mini Pad for the N64. (shown on the right of the big red trident)
    I've never used this one. How does it compare to other alternative N64 controllers like the Superpad?

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    The SNES ASCIIPad. Once you go ASCIIPad, you'll never go back to the stock SNES controller.
    I couldn't agree more, as someone with large hands I couldn't stand the original SNES controller but the larger form factor and Nintendo quality buttons its overall just a better controller. (thanks to whoever suggested it in my similar thread a while back )

If your looking for a great genesis/mega drive pad check out the SN Propad 2 and 6. Its about the size and form factor as the batarangs but has all the functionality of the 6 button controllers. I can't really say enough good things about it.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Great controller for N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I couldn't agree more, as someone with large hands I couldn't stand the original SNES controller but the larger form factor and Nintendo quality buttons its overall just a better controller. (thanks to whoever suggested it in my similar thread a while back )

If your looking for a great genesis/mega drive pad check out the SN Propad 2 and 6. Its about the size and form factor as the batarangs but has all the functionality of the 6 button controllers. I can't really say enough good things about it.

I agree with the Acsii Pad and the SG ProPad2

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a lot of hardware come through my hands with the GOAT Store, here are some of my favorites:

2600 - I think that it is the Epyx controllers that are great, and so is the TAC2 (or 'Totally Accurate Controller 2') for controllers that came out long ago. I do like the originals, but would lean toward the remade ones as they are awesome and the originals are flaky.

7800 - The joypad controller that the 7800 came with in Europe is great and way better than the original in almost all cases.

Jaguar - The ProController is great, although I question whether it is worth the $50ish price tag they seem to be commanding now. Admittedly, I really like the standard controller, so if I had to pay $50 for a Pro I probably wouldn't. I would easily pay $70+ for a great rotary controller though. I beat Tempest 2000 at least once a year with one and it's well worth it.

NES - Dogbone controllers. If you don't want to pay for a Dogbone, the Hyperkin third party ones work great and are way cheaper.

N64 - I despise the original controllers but kind of like their design. I would rather get a similar, good working 3rd party one than something wildly different. Again, the Hyperkin ones are my choice -- biggest positive, metal analog joystick.

Genesis - Sega-made 6 Button Turbo controller. I don't really like the 3 button ones at all.

Saturn - The second model controller and the 3D controller as mentioned.

Dreamcast - Fishing controller if you like those games at all. I like the original controllers a lot though and have tried a lot of others and keep going back to the originals.

Colecovision - ADAM controllers. They are a little better for movement and whatnot than the original controllers. Other than that, they are the same, just grey. Not the best controller, but not horrendous.

3DO - Honestly, the whole 'everyone can make this console' thing meant that the controllers that are best vary with nearly every game you play. I like the Logitech nicely shaped controllers the best, but there is also a SNES-ish thing that is pretty good, and the Panasonic controllers aren't too shabby either.

Xbox - Logitech wireless controllers. They seem to break relatively easily (I broke the analog stick on two of them and I don't have much time to actually play games nor am I rough at all with my games), but for feel and usability, they are awesome.

Hope that helps
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Hori digital controller for Gamecube. The normal Gamecube controller has an awful d-pad. The Hori digital controller, while marketed for the Game Boy Player, is a must for any 2d Gamecube game.
    Too bad some nice 2D GameCube games that had digital control actually are programmed not to operate when a digital only controller such as this is plugged in.

I'll never understand that decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Too bad some nice 2D GameCube games that had digital control actually are programmed not to operate when a digital only controller such as this is plugged in.

I'll never understand that decision.
    What games did that? I don't recall any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    What games did that? I don't recall any.
    A decent number did that. Off the top of my head without going and checking through all my 2D GCN games, I specifically remember either Sonic Gems Collection or Mega Man X Collection as being one example that requires the controller to have analog capabilities despite the d-pad being usuable in the game and a digital only controller being well suited for the game. Came across 2-3 2D GCN games that would refuse the Hori controller for the lack of an analog stick, despite analog not being needed to play.

It's happened on other platforms over the past couple of console generations as well. It's been mentioned from time to time here over the years.

Edit - Here is a PS2 example of the problem. In this case, the developers of Sonic Mega Collection Plus mandated that a controller had to have analog capabilities to operate with the game, despite d-pad control being an option and a digital only controller being perfect for such a compilation.

http://digitpress.com/forum/showthre...require+analog

Has happened from time to time, sadly.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-28-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Avenue 6 for PC Engine. It's awesome and necessary for fighters.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    A decent number did that. Off the top of my head without going and checking through all my 2D GCN games, I specifically remember either Sonic Gems Collection or Mega Man X Collection as being one example that requires the controller to have analog capabilities despite the d-pad being usuable in the game and a digital only controller being well suited for the game. Came across 2-3 2D GCN games that would refuse the Hori controller for the lack of an analog stick, despite analog not being needed to play.

It's happened on other platforms over the past couple of console generations as well. It's been mentioned from time to time here over the years.

Edit - Here is a PS2 example of the problem. In this case, the developers of Sonic Mega Collection Plus mandated that a controller had to have analog capabilities to operate with the game, despite d-pad control being an option and a digital only controller being perfect for such a compilation.

http://digitpress.com/forum/showthre...require+analog

Has happened from time to time, sadly.
    And further down the page you linked to;

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    I had a similar problem with the Sonic Compilation discs on my Cube using a PS2 SFII & a PS2 Satrn pad through a converter. Only works with the Nintendo or Hori pads. The Hori pad is good for Sonic, but I wanted to play the SOR series with the Saturn pad (have the imports).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizer View Post
    On that note, the HORI Game Boy Player controller for the GameCube also works perfectly with 2D games, like Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems Collection and Viewtiful Joe.

So the games you mentioned don't actually have the problem you described with the controller or system being talked about here. Specifically the Hori pad on the Gamecube. Unless the Mega Man X Collection is really like that, though I can't see any mention of Analog sticks being a requirement listed on the packaging. Can you check to make sure?

On a topic related note, I have a Hori pad for the PS1 that seems to have a nice D-Pad. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but once I do I'll give an update. Part number SLPH 00032 for those who want to look up a picture, no analog sticks but it felt nice to hold which is why I got it. I tend to stay away from 3rd party controllers but with how this felt and it being a Hori pad I took a chance on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, The Hori Digital Pad and the SNES to Wii Controller Adapter works with games like Mega Man AC, Mega Man X Collection, Sonic Mega Collection & Sonic Gem Collection....

It's on the PS2 that those games won't work without the Daul Shock Controller