Thread: Ethics of label reprints for resale of cart?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ethics of label reprints for resale of cart?

I see topics on making, cleaning and repairing labels, but I've never seen what collectors think about reprints for restoration.

I've got a copy of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES) with half of the label missing. I see copies of the game out there priced anywhere from $60 and up. On one hand, I know I can't get the high price that others may go for. On the other, that lower price might increase the chance of a sale, likely to someone who would probably just slap a reprint on it and flip it anyway.

What is the community opinion on label reprints though? I would think that it would lower the value and desirability. Someone's recommended making or ordering a reprint, but I feel as though I'd be cheating someone if I did so. The only way I'd feel right about it in that case was if a reprint was an exact duplicate. Other restored collectables go for a pretty penny as long as replacement parts are exact duplicates, more because they're working examples of something classic than because they contain 100% original parts. I mean, I could restore a beat up Pac-Man to like-new and sell it for much more as restored, but what of game carts?

Am I overthinking this, or am I right to just prefer selling as-is?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would rather buy something on the cheap with damage myself.

Other than that I don't have any objections to the idea as long as it says in gigantic bold letters somewhere obvious "PRODUCT LABEL HAS BEEN RESTORED" or something like that.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm personally against replacing the labels. Eventually they'll end up in the wild where people won't be aware that they're replacements, and they'll be put up for sale without any notice about the labels. I want everything to be original. Plus if I came across a game with a replacement label that looks slightly off, I'd end up being suspicious that it's a bootleg so I'd avoid buying the game entirely.

In the finds thread someone bought repros at the flea market, it's bound to happen where replaced labels will get there too.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In resale, a crap original label is going to most likely be a net positive vs a repro-label. Considering the expense and hassle of relabeling, and once it's done the value hit will be on par with an original damaged one (if explicit about the repro label in transfer). So, the ethics are clear with full disclosure, you can't hoodwink anyone. Either they'll want it, as it is, or they won't.

With a repro label, bootleg fear is something you might come up against in a sale situation. Of course, showing the board or casing in a new clear plastic shell are options. Also, since you are printing your own label, it might be neat to take the opportunity to personalize or improve (from your POV) the design and/or artwork shown. To the right buyer, that could possibly add value while being a completely honest and transparent trade.

All original is very nice for collectors, it has appeal. But as this hobby matures, repro and restoration will become more common and more accepted, and in some cases might be the only options left to collectors and/or original hardware gamers.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives