Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Water Levels!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default I Hate Water Levels!

Ever since I can remember I have hated water levels. The first ones I can recall are the water stages in Super Mario Bros. for the NES. At the time I had never played a water level so I started this game with no biases, but over time I grew to think "Ugh!" to myself whenever I encountered one in any game.

Things were simple enough in the beginning. Oh sure, Mario's ones slowed you down and you had to move in a different way from normal stages, but if you rapidly pressed the 'A' button you could get through those stages faster. And let's not forget the Mega Man ones, where the physics for jumping are completely changed... and when you held down the 'jump' button for too long, the deaths by spikes were numerous. Then there were the Sonic The Hedgehog water acts. There was no way you could move faster through those other than to avoid the water at every chance or to try to "run" underwater to gain momentum.

I guess my problem is I like movement in games to be fast. That's why I can recognize the quality of slow paced games even if I don't enjoy their plodding pace. But with water stages, the speed is almost always slowed down from the regular stages, and in the ones concerned with your mammalian status (Echo the Dolphin, Sonic, etc.), you are in constant danger of drowning unless you are always seeking out air. These stages have enough obstacles and dangers abounding throughout without the need for this omnipresent worry!

So which water stages do you dislike, and what's so bad about them? Do you wish games would skip them altogether? Or perhaps you like water levels and you'd like to defend some good examples. Let us know!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I hate water levels in:
    SMB (pretty much all of them)
    The Labyrinth Zones in the first Sonic game. God I hated them.

I think the ones in the Mega Man series are fun.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I like water levels in the Sonic games for Genesis, but really dislike the Game Gear and Master System water levels. There is just way too much slowdown compared to their Genesis counterparts. The difference in physics is already hard enough to get used to after playing the Genesis ones first without the water to make it any worse. I think it would have been better if they had skipped water levels completely on the 8-bit versions.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Jolly Roger Bay and Dire Dire Docks are maddening for me to this day. Great music, terrible controls.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The water levels, or segments of levels, in the Sonic games have always annoyed me more than any other game. Clunky control, the overarching pressure of drowning, weird platforming.. good lord, what a killjoy. Storm's stages in Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge are my least favourite in that game, but those levels are just weirdly designed in relation to the rest.

Conversely, I enjoy the added challenge of a water stage like, say, Maridia in Super Metroid. There's the added danger of your sluggishness placing you in harm's way, but there's not the same lethal tension of air supply. Getting up to the Wrecked Ship through Maridia sans gravity suit gives you quite a sense of (pointless) accomplishment. The Seabed of St. Elles is a really cool stage in Soul Blazer, it defies the typical "water level" conventions and more just offers a cool new environment to wander around in with fancy undersea enemies to slash the crap out of.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Jolly Roger Bay and Dire Dire Docks are maddening for me to this day. Great music, terrible controls.
    Before reading your post, I was going to say those are some of my favorite water levels, especially Dire Dire Docks. I may also be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Before reading your post, I was going to say those are some of my favorite water levels, especially Dire Dire Docks. I may also be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time.
    Yeah I think the Shadow Temple is more annoying than the Water Temple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I enjoyed the water levels in Super Mario 64.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I find that I'm generally okay with water levels in 2D games, but I often dislike them in 3D games. Like how I dig the water levels in the Donkey Kong Country games, but in Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64? Ugh. Part of it is because rudimentary 3D graphics portraying deep sea environments freak me the hell out, but they're just plain frustrating with irritating controls and bad camera angles a lot of the time too.

I dislike some 2D water stages too, though. You can count me as another person that hated the Labyrinth zone in the first Sonic. That's where the speed difference really is bothersome. In a game that uses its speed as a selling point, you don't slow it down THAT much (granted, that game had many parts that slowed the action down, so it didn't live up to its claim that well anyway).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Yeah, I hate any water level were u are under pressure of drowning. In Sonic it was a pain when the timer came on with the unforgettable tune and then your hearts just starts pounding.....lol. And Banjo Kazooie with the shark in treasure trove cove. Donkey Kong country had relaxing water levels for the most part. And I know it's not a classic game or really even a level, but in Ninja Gaiden 2 that one dinosaur boss thing that you had to fight while sprinting on top the water the whole time, was a nightmare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you hate water levels then theres no way you could possible like the dam level in TMNT for the Nes. I actually love that game and have beat it a couple times but racing against the clock underwater against a bunch of timed bombs was more than maddening for a preteen child back then.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I didn't like those levels in Donkey Kong Land for Gameboy because there's spots where you're chased by giant squids. I once got past those levels but my saves got deleted for some reason, I got up to the water levels again and gave up because I didn't want to play through them again.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I don't care for the water levels in the Sonic series, but the worst definitely has to be Banjo-Kazooie. Sluggish controls AND bad camera angles make those parts of the game a real chore.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually don't like water levels either. But I love the one in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) where you have to defuse the bombs. The water levels in the Megaman games are good too, you walk a little slower but jump really high.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm the same way, except for conveyor belt puzzles.

That said, I absolutely loathe the Water Temple too.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

To me, it really depends on the game. Though I agree, most water stages are the least enjoyable. There really isn't any Mario games that I've disliked water levels, although on Mario and Mario 3 they're my least favorite stages in comparison to the others.

Same with Super Metroid which someone else mentioned, as well as Metroid Fusion. The water stages aren't bad at all and add different environments that are nice to play through.

Mobile Suit Gundam Federation vs Zeon or Gundam vs Gundam. In Belfast Base and the Atlantic Ocean while the gameplay is the same, it's just you move slightly slower under water(unless using Zeon mobile suits such as Z'Gok, Acguy, etc.) Same with the Gundam Battle games. Not as enjoyable as fighting on land unless you're in a suit that's good under water.

However, the water stages on Mobile Suit Gundam Senki 0081 are what pushed me to sell the game. It was never a great game to begin with, and then when you go through the water stages, your characters move about 50 times slower and using thrusters under water depletes it twice as fast.

There are a lot of games that you have to move from one place to another underwater that aren't stage based. Soul Reaver, Defiance, etc. The under water portions wouldn't be so bad if you could actually see something, but you can hardly see where you're going and you lose direction so easily.

Devil May Cry and 2 both have some underwater stages. Ummm. Yeah.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-09-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm playing Spyro right now, and it has some functional water levels.

And no air meter, thank god!
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I usually love water stages. I love practically anything to do with water in video games though. I'm one of maybe 3 people who really liked the Labyrinth Zone, and really loved the water stages in Donkey Kong Country. I especially like water stages in shooters. Games like Gaiares, Dragon Spirit, Thunderforce III, Super R-Type, etc..
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 07-09-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Some I like, some I don't. For example, Sonic's stages were annoying, being in the water in Pitfall II slows the game down, not to mention avoiding the eels. Jungle Hunt's water stage is my least favorite part of the game.

I always loved water levels in Battlemorph on the Jaguar. The pace of the game slowed down, but you ended up getting attacked more by subs and things so you didn't notice that much. It was sort of soothing to me, especially the music change when you'd dive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Oh I just remembered another annoying one. In the Nintendo 64 version of 007: The World Is Not Enough the last level is underwater in a submarine and you can drown or the place will blow up if you don't move quickly enough. Underwater FPS is a disaster.