Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Digital Press Podcast (All Episodes)

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Over-rated or under-rated: SNK
    When, and in what form, will arcades make a come-back?
    "Become familiar with..." /marry/kill: Samus/Zelda/Yuna
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-06-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Marked as previously answered on podcast.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Episode 2 (Video Version)

Here's a link to the long-awaited Episode 2!

(I'll get an RSS up and running as soon as I'm able)

In this episode we discuss topics including but not limited to: gaming conventions (PAX, MAGFest, etc.), Nick's lies, Bioshock Infinite, Atari's I, Robot, and the Catherine Special Edition set!

Video podcast RSS feed
    Direct download link for Episode 2 (1:26:27, MP4, 355 MiB)
    YouTube stream for Episode 2
    Last edited by Nz17; 01-06-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: adds links and info
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

EPISODE 2 IS UP (for video streaming currently, RSS very soon)!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156547

Thank you so much for being patient! Hope you enjoy!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

DISCLAIMER: Any and all lies made by me may actually contain Truth™.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    DISCLAIMER: Any and all lies made by me may actually contain Truth™.
    Clearly, another one of Nick's lies.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A good episode gentleman. I enjoy the candid conversations that you all have, its nice to see and hear opinions that are coming from you off the top of your head vs. something scripted. I do think that the tales from the store segment should be extended a little bit, I could see it being something a lot of people who don't actually get to go to Digital Press really enjoying.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

What I would like is for there to be musical interludes between segments and for the backdrop to change by segment. The arcade machines are great, but seeing them for the whole duration of the show was tedious. Also, the musical cues will let audio-only listeners know in another way when segments change.

For example, each time you switch to another show segment you could play a power-up sound effect. 1UP mushroom, Sonic ring, you name it. You could even have a different one each time.

For the visuals, just rotate around. Start with the arcade machines, then the island in the middle of the store, then the game racks, perhaps the display cases afterward, and finally (for the last segment) the exit of the store.

And try to get those lapel mics higher up! They're called "lapel mics" because they're supposed to be situated on the speakers' lapels (or near a shirt equivalent location). Joe and some others sounded fine, but Frankie's mic was too far from his mouth and thus he was difficult to hear.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a great idea about the musical interludes. I had a some technical problems with the mics this episode, and had to do lots of work in post to "correct" them. Hopefully the next one won't have those problems.

-mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Awesome!

Kinda unrelated but I forgot to ask after the previous episode, got any details on the (assumed) MAME driving setup in that Pole Position cabinet? Being a person that MAME'd one myself at one point, I'd love some information. Looks like it uses a four position reverse N Atari shifter instead of the standard single button hi / lo.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-12-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Awesome!

Kinda unrelated but I forgot to ask after the previous episode, got any details on the (assumed) MAME driving setup in that Pole Position cabinet? Being a person that MAME'd one myself at one point, I'd love some information. Looks like it uses a four position reverse N Atari shifter instead of the standard single button hi / lo.
    Stonic made that masterpiece if you have any technical questions.

I do believe it is a 4 way N shifter (it's 4 way for sure ... the "siren" buttons are mapped to the thing in A.P.B. and interrogations are a serious stick-waggle chore along the lines of a Mario Party mini game).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Stonic made that masterpiece if you have any technical questions.

I do believe it is a 4 way N shifter (it's 4 way for sure ... the "siren" buttons are mapped to the thing in A.P.B. and interrogations are a serious stick-waggle chore along the lines of a Mario Party mini game).
    I had the nitro set like that for Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat / Super Off-Road on my cabinet with the stock Pole Position shifter (which is really single button, only depresses in high gear) and had to perform a similar action for those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great episode! I really enjoyed the 3DS part of the discussion as well as the Tales of the Store segment, which both pleased and enraged me. Pleased me to hear that Joe is a stand up guy and actually called up the people selling off the games from the previous episode, even though I wasn't part of the pitchfork and torches crowd. Enraged because of the minds of "collectors" - collectors in quotes because they clearly bought the game just to have it graded and sell it off for 2k monies.
    As someone who has worked retail for quite a few years I can safely say that FACTORY SEALED GAMES (or any product, really) ARE NOT NECESSARILY PRISTINE WHEN THEY COME OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE! But sure, your refund policy is a noble thing, even if these people were clearly just using it because they figured they wouldn't get a 100 grading on the games.

Sure, this point of view will probably make me look like an ass to most people, but come on, let's not go into the whole grading discussion again.

Back to the episode, it was definately a step up on the production side from the first episode, even if I'd still like to have the segments divided into their own little video but hey, I'll make a DVD of each episode and just put in chapter starts at each segment, so that's really no big deal.

Also, do you guys take request/suggestions for future episodes? If so, as someone who will probably never have the opportunity to visit the store, I'd like to hear more about the store in general. Perhaps a tour of the store, some thoughts on how (and why) things are placed, as well as what goes into concideration regarding what games you take in and how you price them.
    Denmark: Home of The Little Mermaid and heavy sarcasm.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can you splice in screen shots or video of the games you are talking about? That would add a little variety...when Mike talks about a game I never heard of ("Shadows of the Damned"?) it would be nice to see what he's talking about rather than you guys sitting around.

On the sealed game thing, I sold a sealed copy of GameCube Twin Snakes over the summer and I will never auction a sealed game again. The bidders were just totally unreasonable. Get a life.

btw I bought the game at a NAVA meeting and sold it for more than twice what I paid. No, I didn't track the guy down to give him more money.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Can you splice in screen shots or video of the games you are talking about? That would add a little variety...when Mike talks about a game I never heard of ("Shadows of the Damned"?) it would be nice to see what he's talking about rather than you guys sitting around.
    That was the plan for this episode, but unfortunately this episode was a production nightmare. I'm not going to get into why it was a production nightmare, but I can say that the problems I had were figured out and will not be happening again.

I do appreciate all the feedback, and if you anybody is interested in requesting topics, feel free to visit the thread that is stickied in the classic games forum.

-mike

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

One phrase: title cards. I know y'all are probably planning on having them anyway, but title cards at the start of each segment would be super duper uuper.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you mean by title cards? I throw in a phrase that goes along with the upcoming segment, such as the phrase "con job" when we spoke of conventions. I think the only ongoing segment is the "tales from the store" which had the title "tales from the store" in the beginning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, this is going to be pretty much every question/suggestion I can think of that I'd like to see in future episodes (Sorry about the magnitude of this post):

Store stuff:
    1. As someone, who will probably never have the opportunity to visit the store, how about a tour?
    2. How did it all start? What was taken into concideration when deciding to open a store? What kind of stock did you have in the beginning? How has things changed?
    3. What goes into concideration when taking in used games and how do you price them? Rarity/demand/condition etc.
    4. What is the rarest item you have for sale in the store? And the most expensive?
    5. What is the most insane thing you have ever had traded in?
    6. What kind of games do you usually not accept? And, what do you really wish someone would trade in?
    7. How do you decide what to display, and how do you display it? As a budding collector I'd like some thought on this.
    8. What are your biggest concerns regarding the store?

digitpress.com stuff:
    1. How, when and WHY did it all start?
    2. What does the future hold for the site?
    3. When's the next edition of the Collector's Guide coming out? And, will there be more PAL content?
    4. Any juicy controversies we need to be aware of?
    5. Can Kitsune keep up the flow of craziness in the Finds thread or will he eventually have assimilated every pop culture trinket known to man?
    6. What are your favorite thread and/or subforum?

Game related stuff:
    1. As a PAL person I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Commodore systems, which were extremely popular over here (Specifically C64, Amiga, CD32).
    2. What are your top 5 game systems of all time? And possibly bottom 5?
    3. Games: Loose, boxed, or sealed?
    4. Thoughts on the whole game grading shebang?
    5. The is the greatest game you've NEVER played?
    6. What do your personal collections consist of? What are your favorite pieces?
    7. Console vs. PC gaming.
    8. Collecting PAL games in the US. Do people even do that?
    9. So... Bio Force Ape, eh?

Other stuff:
    1. The Videogame History Museum. Now that it's funded, what will the future hold?
    2. Do any of you have pets? Tamagotchis and Furbys don't count.
    3. You all drink beer on the *cast. Is that your drink of choice or would you rather be drinking something else? Frankie looks more like an umbrella-and-sparklers-drink kinda guy.
    4. Also, what kind of beer ARE you drinking?

So... get to it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybum View Post
    Frankie looks more like an umbrella-and-sparklers-drink kinda guy.
    ...Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Not sure if this question will ever be addressed on the podcast, but since I'm being personally called out on it, YES, I'm totally a girl-drink-drunk, but those typically require mixing/blending which isn't as convenient as cracking open a bottle to start the next drink.

And, don't let the visual of a beer bottle fool you - I believe I was drinking delicious Woodchuck Amber Ciders on the first podcast and (due to my calorie restrictive diet) terrible terrible disgusting MGD 64 calorie Lemonades on the 2nd ... I got my $6 worth of buzz from those, but NEVER again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    ...Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    Not at all! I'll have sex on the beach with you any day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybum View Post
    Not at all! I'll have sex on the beach with you any day
    oh MY!

I don't think that my girlfriend would approve of any *cough* "extra curricular activities", but if we're just talking about drinks, I'm sure she wouldn't mind you buying me a martini.