Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obscure comics (aka independents)

Heh....I have most of American Flagg. It's...interesting Black Kiss is a bit more extreme than most of his stuff. I'd recommend Power and Glory to give you a feel for his style in a short 4 issue series. American Flagg is his largest and most definitive work though. I also really enjoyed his reenvisioning of Challengers of the Unknown a few years ago.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Quote Originally Posted by newtype5 View Post
    Faust is up there for me as well. been reading since issue one from 1988 (i think it was '88). tim vigil is a modern master. the story will hopefully be concluded before we all die (13 issues in 23 years, and it still has a cult following. be forwarned it is for adults only).
    Faust was finished! Avatar press was printing all kinds of stuff. The Book of M and then there was the female Faust, which was awesome as Hell. Faust 777 The Wrath. Check them out. Claire even got a Mini Series as well.

There's a gay writer/artist I really like named Tim Fish. I have a book of short stories (Something Fishy This Way Comes), but he's also done a graphic novel (Strugglers) and a now-finished ongoing series (Cavalcade of Boys) which I'd like to read at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Faust was finished! Avatar press was printing all kinds of stuff. The Book of M and then there was the female Faust, which was awesome as Hell. Faust 777 The Wrath. Check them out. Claire even got a Mini Series as well.
    sorry, but Faust is NOT finished yet. Faust: Love of the Damned (the original series, which is the best, and was not part of Avatar's line-up), is still being worked on. issues 14 & 15 are in the works. hopefully soon. ^_^
    Been playing Atari since 1978.
    Digital Press reader since 1992.
    My DP feedback:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130595

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Maxlords - glad to see someone raising the Arsenic Lullabye flag, great stuff there. Met Doug at Mid Ohio Con last year. As a side note, if you ever have a chance to get the DVD of the pilot...don't. It's painful to watch.

I haven't read comics seriously in nearly 10 years now. Stuff I liked that people may want to check out includes Pete the P.O.d Postal Worker, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Flaming Carrot, and of course Knights of the Dinner Table.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I finally went and snagged the Stumptown hardcover off of ebay the other day. It's pretty damn good.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari2600land's Avatar

Spumco's comic book was made in the '90s, and I am lucky enough to own two issues. It's approved by cartoonists.

Love the art style and the stories aren't bad either. Sadly, the author has a bad habit of using long winded jokes that aren't as funny on paper as they would be if they were to simply be said out loud.

I was surprised to see so many post about Faust as I figured I was the only one to be weird enough to enjoy Tim Vigil's work(he even made me a signed pic when I met him at a convention several years ago). But I'm probably a more hardcore Faust fan than I should be. How hardcore? I watched the live action movie and before you ask, just don't. It was terrible. For my short list of indies: Grendel, Razor, Shi, and Hepcats. I'm obsessed with anything Grendel related and have a pretty big collection of the other three as well. I was very disappointed when the Shi live action movie with Tia Carerra got canceled before it started
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.