Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First game to ever scare you?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played RE 4 for the first time back in December (yeah late to the party, I know) and the part that sent chills down my spine the most was the part where you're in the lab and you see on one of the monitors that creature entire the room. The music suddenly changes. You see the creature a few rooms over start to approach you. It turns liquid like and pours over the windows of shattered glass. He makes a disturbing "heheh" sound. You're supposed to kill the creature using a rifle with an infrared scope, hitting it in select spots. The sight of that thing walking closer while in infrared mode...jesus. Even when you took out its legs it would start to lead up at you. Even thinking about now raises hairs on my back.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

TONS of games have scared me, none more than Silent Hill 2, but Alone in the Dark on the 3DO was the first. I LOVE horror games, and this is the one that started it all for me.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I recall being more than a bit disturbed by seeing Chiller for the first time in my local arcade. But, once that wore off it wound up being one of my favorite Exidy shooters of that generation.

As far as my first recollection of a home game that was scary ... Beyond Forbidden Forest for the Commodore 64 was amazingly atmospheric considering the limitations of the system.

The music and sounds effects are really chilling and the death sequences are pretty intense all things considered. I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever booted it up I was home alone in the dark by myself and I had to summon some courage to keep playing.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Berserk on the 2600 would make me jump everytime the little guy would die. I was very young. As to actually scare me scare me... I would have to say Metroid NES, it was too weird and the music was scary to me.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

First, that "scared" me, as in getting me to jump, but not really scared me is Resident Evil 2. With the zombie arms coming out of the wall and you running through and a huge spider pops visible in the sewers. That kind of stuff made me jump, but it was just stuff that jumped out at you, not something that was actually scary.

Parasite Eve(the first one,) is probably the only game that has truly scared me. The games music, atmosphere, etc, is just like other horror games, but then you get to the hospital. The first time I got to the hospital, it was night time. I went and turned on the light because of the hospital is just creepy.

Unfortunately I haven't played too many horror games. Either they were really good, or really bad, except for Silent Hill Origins which was just decent.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess I'm not so easily scared by videogames (About the only thing I can say that about).

I've felt a bit nervous at times, but I never felt scared.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by tritium View Post
    Berserk on the 2600 would make me jump everytime the little guy would die. I was very young. As to actually scare me scare me... I would have to say Metroid NES, it was too weird and the music was scary to me.
    the arcade versions even freakier with the machine talking to you

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game that first scared me like stated earlier isn’t that original (Resident Evil 2) but the “cool story bro” story behind it is.

First I need to tell you about the layout of where I live. I live in the middle of nowhere, at the time (1998) my closest neighbor was about half a mile away. My house is centered on about a five acre plot surrounded by thick woods. Off to the side of the house about a hundred yards away is a fairly large old garage/tool shed that sits by the woods.

Well, in the summer of 98 my house burned down, luckily the house was empty of people and most of my video games at the time. Long story short(er) I ended up staying in the old shed for a few days alone.

So I’m 13 in an old rundown shed (think, the house in Fight Club and you’ll have a pretty accurate depiction of this place) in the middle of nowhere all alone with nothing to do but play video games. I had already beaten RE2 once and I was on my first B scenario at the time, all was good till Mr. X (T-103) showed up. The first time he busted in the wall (cool-aid man style) I had to stop playing. His Michael Myers appearance and attitude mixed with the above conditions scared the shit out of me. I don’t think I slept at all that night.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was probably Resident Evil. I can't remember ever being scared while playing an NES or SNES game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    the arcade versions even freakier with the machine talking to you
    Damn, Evil Otto spoke? I never knew that. That would have freaked me out as well as a kid. I've never seen the arcade version of Berserk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive been playing a long time and can't really think of anything pre Silent HIll/Resident Evil, RE had some great jump moments as did RE3 every time you would be walking along, minding your own business and then BAM "STARSSS". Silet Hill, well what nerve racking stuff.

What I find odd though is there has been a lack of those thrills for me sense those games, probably the only modern current gen game Ive been startled and creeped out by is Alan Wake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ecco the Dolphin, as a child playing on my own this was the stuff of nightmares.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    That's actually a nice sound, especially in surround sound, it's like your on the beach.
    Yeah, but beaches tend to have more than a faint breeze echoing in an endless black void.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    So I’m 13 in an old rundown shed (think, the house in Fight Club and you’ll have a pretty accurate depiction of this place) in the middle of nowhere all alone with nothing to do but play video games.
    Can I ask why you would have been all alone in that shed at 13 years old? Where were your parents/guardians?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Damn, Evil Otto spoke? I never knew that. That would have freaked me out as well as a kid. I've never seen the arcade version of Berserk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb4gWvqbsYA
    *in robot voice* Intruder Alert, The Humanoid Can Not Escape

i played this at fun spot and i was like "holy shit this is pretty crazy!!!" cause i use to play the atari version all the time when i was a kid

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I guess I can also say it was Resident Evil for me specifically "the dogs". Funniest thing, though, is what scared my sister and that was Resident Evil 2. It was like straight out of a cartoon or something. She is sitting there, my brother and I sitting next to her on the couch, playing along then, all of a sudden, that "Mr.X" falls through the ceiling. She literally threw the controller up in the air out of fright and said "I'm outta here!" lol. Oddly enough, she never played games in my room ever again....
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    I guess I can also say it was Resident Evil for me specifically "the dogs". Funniest thing, though, is what scared my sister and that was Resident Evil 2. It was like straight out of a cartoon or something. She is sitting there, my brother and I sitting next to her on the couch, playing along then, all of a sudden, that "Mr.X" falls through the ceiling. She literally threw the controller up in the air out of fright and said "I'm outta here!" lol. Oddly enough, she never played games in my room ever again....
    was it complete with small dust cloud and cartoonish "Pow" noise? lol
    j/k

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

As a child I think Friday the 13th (NES) was the first game that scared me, mainly because of the "You and Your friends are Dead!" game over screen. At one point I would just goto the cave and kill my last character, since I preferred it over being slaughter by Jason. It still amazes me to this day that the game got past the censors at NOA, whom later censored Maniac Mansion for much much less.
    Last edited by exit; 08-18-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

oh i found another game i remember playing when i was little that would scare me believe it or not

"Squeeze Box" for the Atari 2600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtP6cC0pK5E

Not the game play itself of course. But when ever that damn Devil would dance around at the end. Me being into the paranormal even when i was a lil kid (thanks to me watching horror movies at a young age and such). Playing this game at night in a room alone would just haunt me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Right from the start, as one exits the prison bunker and turns around the wall into the cemetery. Everything about that first part was a scare.