Thread: Is it possible to Swap NES controller wires without soldering?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is it possible to Swap NES controller wires without soldering?

If you look at this picture you would see I have 3 official dog bone controllers.
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9260/cimg0370c.jpg
    but the fact of the matter is 2 of these are Famicom AV controllers and thus have really short wires. now I happen to also have 2 Regular box NES controllers that I could maybe swap the longer wires out of them and put them in the Famicom AV controllers to make them longer. I was just wondering is this possible without having to solder?

Nevermind I see that it isnt.
    Last edited by Urzu402; 09-07-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I don't see how, unless the entire guts of one will fit in the other. I guess you could try using butt splices or spades inside the housing, but I wouldn't reccomend it. Get out the iron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Nope, you have to remove the wires from the PCB itself. Since you're asking this I'm going to assume that you don't have much experience and will leave you with this: you'll probably break something long before you successfully swap wires.

Send them to someone experienced.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Nope, you have to remove the wires from the PCB itself. Since you're asking this I'm going to assume that you don't have much experience and will leave you with this: you'll probably break something long before you successfully swap wires.

Send them to someone experienced.
    You have to learn somewhere. Desoldering and resoldering some wires is a good place to begin, although NES controller cables are pretty thin. There's a big difference between "that's something that's really difficult, you probably souldn't try it unless you're experienced" and "bah, don't even try - send it to someone like me so I can make bank on three minutes worth of work."

OP, read around online and get yourself a cheap pencil iron and learn to do basic electronics repair. This is what happens when you take industrial arts programs out of schools.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Swapping SNES controller cords was easy, they weren't hard soldered to the board, there was a little clip inside. I did this to swap cords between a first party US SNES controller with a long cord and an ASCII pad (same internal clip) which was a better controller (same build quality as a first party pad but had turbo/slo mo switches, not to mention the 4 colored action buttons instead of two shades of purple) but had a shorter cord. Guess that ease doesn't apply to the NES, tho.

Might be better to look for an extension cord for your Famicom pads than go messing with rewiring them if you don't know what you're doing. Just typing in NES extension cord into google turns up several for fairly low prices, certainly less than you'll pay to replace your vintage dogbones if you wreck them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    You have to learn somewhere. Desoldering and resoldering some wires is a good place to begin, although NES controller cables are pretty thin. There's a big difference between "that's something that's really difficult, you probably souldn't try it unless you're experienced" and "bah, don't even try - send it to someone like me so I can make bank on three minutes worth of work."

OP, read around online and get yourself a cheap pencil iron and learn to do basic electronics repair. This is what happens when you take industrial arts programs out of schools.
    This is not the place to learn, buying a kit and building a radio is the place to learn like I did when I was much younger. This attitude is leading to the destruction of so much hardware it isn't funny.

And no, for this job my time is too valuable to "make bank" unless you count the $5 I'd ask for such a simple and quick job to be "bank".

NES extension cords, as mentioned, are a perfect alternative given they work on all NES controllers and all compatible consoles. No soldering required and they're dirt cheap.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with APE. I repair video games for a living, and I spend most of my day repairing other people's poor repairs.

Secondly, cheap soldering tools will teach you poor habits and tend to be highly destructive. If you seriously want to learn, at least get a cheap name brand like a Weller, and find a soldering practice kit that looks fun:

http://www.hobbytron.com/G-300.html

You'll spend under $50 total and you'll have an incredibly useful tool and skill that you can use for the rest of your life.