Thread: MSX suggestions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MSX suggestions

I am new to the MSX business and looking for a couple of (cheap) game suggestions. Its an MSX1 so I don't think I can play any of the 2, 2+, or turbo games, and I am really only interested in cart only. Any ideas?
    I should mention I speak/read zero Japanese, but it seems for a lot of the early release games it shouldn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much anything from Konami. The Metal Gear games will require at least a translation FAQ, but they are far superior to the NES versions.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0) nemerodius's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe the first metal gear was on the msx 2 ? Or was it metal gear 2 ? Been a long time since i played it..Yep, konami are the dogs, F1 Spirit, Gradius 1,2,3, Salamander, Vampire Killer, Penguin Adventure....and lots more.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nemerodius View Post
    I believe the first metal gear was on the msx 2 ? Or was it metal gear 2 ? Been a long time since i played it..Yep, konami are the dogs, F1 Spirit, Gradius 1,2,3, Salamander, Vampire Killer, Penguin Adventure....and lots more.
    After checking ebay for some of those titles I'd suggest selling them now if you've got them. Holy crap do they want bank for them, more than I paid for the whole system!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Yes, Metal Gear was on the MSX2. The MSX is basically the same as the early Famicom, in term of types of games. Several have been ported to Colecovision, though none are suberb games. Most MSX games were ported to the superior Sega Master or Nintendo Systems.

The MSX 2 is more of the desirable system to me, in terms of games. It had a lot of later 8bit-era games that were never released on NES or SMS. But it's harder to find, and very expensive.

If you want to collect, be my guest, but if you want to play, the alternative could be the contemporary 1chipMSX, which was sold from Japan, and is pretty rare and VERY expensive. It allows the playing of I think all MSX and MSX 2 games.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

You can still find a MSX2 modestly priced. I know the MSX Resource Board has a forum where people can buy, trade and sell anything MSX related. You'd have to look outside eBay, and don't mind paying shipping from Europe or The Netherlands (The Netherlands is a hotbed of MSX hobbyism, don'tcha know). I bought my MSX2 (Sony HB-F1XDmk2) from Britain for the pound equivalent of $150, IIRC. MAKE SURE that the computer you are buying is a Japanese NTSC model and not a European PAL model, otherwise it will create more unneeded work and confusion, with the chance that you might not even be able to use it with an NTSC TV. Meanwhile, a 1chipMSX was only manufactured in select amounts, so any one you run across will probably command $$$. The last one I saw on eBay sat on a BIN for near $500. And then a Turbo-R model may even be more expensive than that -- the deluxe model of MSX computers. However, only a handful of games were specifically created for the Turbo-R, and the cost outweighs the benefits to me. Definitely try out some Turbo-R games in emulation before you plunk down cold hard cash for a machine.

As far as MSX1 recommendations go, any of Konami's flagship titles were developed for the MSX2, so they won't work in a MSX1, obviously. However, Antarctic Adventure, The Goonies, Green Beret, Hyper Olympics/Track & Field, Knightmare, Gradius I & II, Parodius, Salamander and Time Pilot are all good Konami developed MSX2 titles. Only problem is, most people familiar with the MSX system associate it with Konami games, thus, high prices. For MSX1 titles a bit more under the radar, try Toritorn (an action RPG), Ice World (Pengo clone), Xyzolog, Sweet Acorn and more. A good resource for looking up games with screenshots is Generation MSX.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    You can still find a MSX2 modestly priced. I know the MSX Resource Board has a forum where people can buy, trade and sell anything MSX related. You'd have to look outside eBay, and don't mind paying shipping from Europe or The Netherlands (The Netherlands is a hotbed of MSX hobbyism, don'tcha know). I bought my MSX2 (Sony HB-F1XDmk2) from Britain for the pound equivalent of $150, IIRC. MAKE SURE that the computer you are buying is a Japanese NTSC model and not a European PAL model, otherwise it will create more unneeded work and confusion, with the chance that you might not even be able to use it with an NTSC TV. Meanwhile, a 1chipMSX was only manufactured in select amounts, so any one you run across will probably command $$$. The last one I saw on eBay sat on a BIN for near $500. And then a Turbo-R model may even be more expensive than that -- the deluxe model of MSX computers. However, only a handful of games were specifically created for the Turbo-R, and the cost outweighs the benefits to me. Definitely try out some Turbo-R games in emulation before you plunk down cold hard cash for a machine.

As far as MSX1 recommendations go, any of Konami's flagship titles were developed for the MSX2, so they won't work in a MSX1, obviously. However, Antarctic Adventure, The Goonies, Green Beret, Hyper Olympics/Track & Field, Knightmare, Gradius I & II, Parodius, Salamander and Time Pilot are all good Konami developed MSX2 titles. Only problem is, most people familiar with the MSX system associate it with Konami games, thus, high prices. For MSX1 titles a bit more under the radar, try Toritorn (an action RPG), Ice World (Pengo clone), Xyzolog, Sweet Acorn and more. A good resource for looking up games with screenshots is Generation MSX.
    Thanks for this. I'm really more of a system collector, but I still like to have a few fun inexpensive games to go with them.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nemerodius's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just had a look at the msx resource website and their are scans of the konami club newsletter that was available back in the day..I was lucky to have my work experience with those two top guys, and lo and behold my salamander (c64) and nes gradius reviews are there !! Memories..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For MSX 1 anything from Konami on cart but my favourites are Penguin Adventure, Road Fighter, F1 Spirit, Yie Ar Kung Fu 2, Hyper Sports 3, Knightmare, Gradius Series, Kings Valley & Maze of Galious.

If you want to dabble with cassettes, disks or softcards most of the better European computer games were converted to MSX 1 and are very cheap to buy. Things like Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Batman, Head over Heels, Blagger, Finders Keepers, Elite, Elidon and Sorcery. The early Rare (Ultimate) games like Knight Lore, Alien 8 & Gunfright are also on MSX.