Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rise and Fall of the PSP(more of a fan appreciation story/rant)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default The Rise and Fall of the PSP(more of a fan appreciation story/rant)

The PSP is my favorite portable system, but a recent announcement of a well known series getting a PSP release left me in disappointment. A Suikoden title was recently announced for the PSP and while, debatable, only half of the series has been any good, it's just that knowing how bad piracy is on the system it's almost certain we won't see it in the west.

So this is what got me to decide to post about the PSP. I wanted to post about how amazing of a system it is, but also rant about how piracy is what started the downfall of the system and eventually killed it. Because we need to be honest, even with the couple games coming out this year, the system itself is practically dead.

The PSP was released after the DS and being Sony's first handheld console, we knew it was going to be an uphill battle. Speaking of an uphill battle, people would bash the PSP for various reasons. Whether it was the load times, early released games being ports or multiconsole, UMD ejection, etc.

Now I'll agree with all the ports, but there were very few games that had some extremely long load times. The WWE games, especially, and you'd see multiple Youtube videos based on this. To be honest, these are the reasons it too me so long to actually pick up the system. After seeing the ad for Gundam Battle Royale, I preordered it from Play-Asia and picked up the PSP and Mega Man Powered Up once I received it(end of 2006.) During the next year I picked multiple games up for the system and some of the issues I was seeing about the PSP just weren't there. Sure there were those few games with massive loading issues, but the load times on the majority of PSP titles were fine.

Even though the PSP was downgradable at the time, games still sold very well for quite some time. Not only that, but while there may not have been as many releases as on the DS, you could practically pick up any game on the system and it'd either be a quality title, or atleast playable. Games were even getting greatest hits status, something that I haven't seen any PSP game rereleased as in a very long time.

Fast forward a few years with a ton of great releases for practically all genres , the multiple PSP releases, the Go flops, and now every PSP can run custom firmware and play ISO and CSO files, including the Go. PSP sales have had a major decline since. Because of this developers and publishers have went on record saying that they might not release games in the west for the PSP, one of which is Final Fantasy Type 0.

Piracy is bad to the point that I don't want to hear a PSP announcement of a game I might be interested in as I know we're not going to get it.

It's an amazing system, though, and if you haven't picked one up yet you should go do so unless you're planning on getting a Vita and don't mind all digital. While not all PSP games are available for digital download on the PSN, most are and as of now they're very affordable. Most $20 and $10, some on sale this week for $5.

If you already own a PSP then show your appreciation for this amazing system. What were your first games? When did you purchase it?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a PSP on day one at the midnight release for it here in the states and I have always loved it. As of now, I own 8 PSP's, . The first game I bought for it on release was Metal Dear Acid which I still have.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    A Suikoden title was recently announced for the PSP and while, debatable, only half of the series has been any good, it's just that knowing how bad piracy is on the system it's almost certain we won't see it in the west.
    If it doesn't get released, can't you eventually find a fan translation of it and just pirate it?

I remember when the system first came out, most people who wanted one just used it for emulation. Sure, now there's plenty of good games worth buying but if you're already used to using it for free software I don't think you'd be willing to start paying for software later.

I don't have one but I'm hoping to come across one at a yard sale at some point with the Castlevania Dracula X collection, besides that game I can't think of any titles I'd want except for the various RPGs which seem to get released for it yet I can't remember the names of. To me nothing really stands out as must haves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Psp a few weeks ago at a yard sale for $20. It was definitely worth it for that price and it was my source of entertainment when Hurricane Irene killed the power for two days straight. The battery lasted almost long enough for me to watch every episode from Aeon Flux: The Complete Collection.

I've already been collecting for it the past few years but I'm hoping once the Vita launches that stores will quickly start clearancing out their Psp games. It will make it easier for me to try out new stuff.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I've already been collecting for it the past few years but I'm hoping once the Vita launches that stores will quickly start clearancing out their Psp games. It will make it easier for me to try out new stuff.
    You can already get plenty of great games for $10 or under at national chains if you look. For example, I know I got Castlevania Drac X and Jeanne d'Arc for less than $10 at Walmart and Kmart, I think. They were already in the clearance sections.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 09-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMHO, PSP's library is an example of quality over quantity. Sure, it may lack the variety of DS, but I have played very few, if any games on it that were so extremely cheap and abysmal as I have on the DS.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seeing the slow death the of the PSP made me start picking up complete good condition used games as I find them. I have a feeling it is going to be like Sega Saturn stuff, one day its in every store for dirt cheap and the next day you can't find a single title. I just cracked 200 mark the other day and I plan on picking up as many as possible as long as the price is right. I think the system would be considered one of the best handhelds if it just had a 2nd analog stick. Just imagine the amount of PS2 games that could have been ported.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The psp was by no means a flop. I am not sure what the issue was. I own a few and love it. I have the original launch with the original firmware. They should have release it at 200 instead of 250. The 250 price point made people take a wait and see approach. But I love mine. Once I got the Psp go I was quite surprised I really liked it.

Price is what makes me nervous for the Vita.
    neo geo system

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love the system though I don't get it out much anymore. No telling how many hundreds of hours I logged on MHFUnite. Easily my favorite handheld system ever.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Although piracy was a problem I never felt like it was so huge that it was the only reason for the PSP's slow decline, the DS had similar issues with flash carts through its entire run. I always thought a larger problem for the console in the West were the large stretches of time with nothing notable released along with a general lack of support from Sony for a long while. I remember several large stretches where little if anything was released for the console either first or third party and I feel like that contributed much more to the general lack of interest in the console in the stats.

That being sad I love my psp for all of the great games that were released for it. It has a great mix of solid games from all generas, along with remakes/ports, and a huge selection of import only that with the console being region free are definitely worth checking out.

Some of my Favorites:

Armored Core Formula Front
    Jean D'Arc
    Metal Gear Acid (1 and 2)
    Metal Gear Portable Ops
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Initial D Street Stage
    DJ Max Portable 2
    Crisis Core
    Star Ocean First Departure
    Bleach Heat the Soul (Series)
    Persona 1
    Final Fantasy IV Complete
    Brave Story A New Traveler
    Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
    Dissidia (1 and 2)
    Killzone Liberation
    Daisenryaku Portable 2
    Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
    Daxter

I have yet to even scratch all of the macross and gundam themed import titles, which as a big fan I have to. (RX-93 FTW!) This isn't even mentioning all of the acclaimed game that I haven't played like Resistance Retribution and God of War. I always find it odd that some always say that their either isn't any games on the console or nothing to interest them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The PSP is still going strong in Japan. It's actually outselling the DSi and the PSP's software sales still top the charts there.
    http://www.the-magicbox.com/1109/game110916a.shtml

I bought my PSP about a year and a half ago. I have about 30 titles for the handheld and plan on buying at least another 20 or so titles for it and maybe a UMD or 2. It's one of the coolest handhelds I own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The PSP is going to be remembered in a positive light. While is ended up not being the "DS killer", it ended up being a solid system with some great exclusives. I think as a portable I give it a passing rating, but as a bathroom or bedroom system...I give it an A+. This will be a fun system to collect for.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Releasing a successful non-Nintendo handheld was a pretty high achievement.

Thankfully, standards change. Good job Apple.

I enjoy my PSP, but there always seemed to be something not-quite-right about it. The obvious is that it's a handheld that reads optical... But that's not all that was off about it [dat nub]. Despite all that, it managed to do quite a few things right. I've played Super Stardust Portable more than anything else for the platform so far. The PSP really excels at those long cinematic games that just don't mesh well with a handheld. Looks good, and I'm sure it plays great too. I just can't bring myself to hang with those games on this system. The first game I played to completion was GoW Chains of Olympus that was a pack-in with my red 2000 PSP. Then it's been 90% Super Stardust since.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 09-17-2011 at 11:12 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I got mine on day one with Ridge Racer

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I have no problems with the PSP. I picked one up specifically for Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, and I've had a great time with it.

My only real issue with the system is the shady analog nub. I've always hated it.

Oddly, I've never really carried it with me except on one five hour road trip. Every hour I've played on the PSP has otherwise been on my couch at home.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I hope we do get the Suikoden game. I wonder if enough people import it to the US in its Japanese form it will be considered a good enough sales figure to have it translated and released here.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought my first PSP from Japan at their launch with Hot shots golf & Darkstalkers. I now have a Japanese Final Fantasy 20th anniversary PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Bought my PSP on launch day at Best Buy with Ridge Racer (bought Darkstalkers and Lumines at TRU a few days before). We had to line up inside the store and file into a room where Best Buy employees were setup to up-sell extended warranties, accessories, and games in a "1 on 1" setting. It was effing ridiculous. You couldn't get a PSP without running through this gauntlet of idiots trying to convince you that this brand new system was going to suddenly stop working in 90 days. So much fail going on that day.

The old 1000 still works perfectly, although I use a 3000 when playing games these days.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    The psp was by no means a flop.
    Agreed. It's the 7th best video game system of all time (73 million), above NES, Xbox 360, PS3, Genesis, and SNES. Not as much as the DS, but still quite popular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have always loved the PSP. I had one of the originals at launch and upgraded to the slim model a few years ago and I played the shit out of the thing up until maybe a year and a half ago when I just got bored of it cuz I had played everything that I wanted to play. I'm gonna pick up God of War: Ghost of Sparta soon when it's like $10 and that'll be the last game I pick up for it.

The 3 biggest problems that have always plagued the PSP are the lack of dual analog sticks, piracy, and the infrequent release times of AAA games. While the PSP now has a solid lineup of great games, it took too long for those games to come out and they only trickled out a few at a time. I would often wait for months for good PSP games to out, and that got very frustrating after a while and hopefully will be fixed with the Vita?!

Early on what hindered the PSP was its high price, lack of dual analog sticks and lack of original AAA games. While 2/3 of those issues have been addressed, they took too long to get addressed. It looks like these issues have been fixed with the Vita and I have high hopes for this thing and hope it does well!
    Last edited by duffmanth; 09-18-2011 at 10:12 AM.