Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Default Sega CDX Power Adapter Search

Yes its this thread again.

At the moment I am using an Enercell AC adapter. The adapter is a variable voltage adapter with settings at 6, 7.5, 9, and 12 at a 2.5 A. I've tested it at a 9 volts it puts out 9.17 which although a little low should work fine on the console. I get a crystal clear picture and no problems using this setup.

I also recently picked up a Sima SUP-60M which is another variable AC adapter. It is rated 3.3, 4.2, 5.0, 6.5, 8.4, and 9.5 with a rating of 1.5 A on the 9.5 setting. It has been tested and at 9.5 its putting out 9.65 V so it is in spec. This 9.5V/1.5A is exactly what the CDX (and X'eye) are rated for, however when I use this power supply I get a while banding on the screen almost as if I was using a bad RF connection.

I've made sure that the adapter is the right polarity and again tested both power supplies for output but still haven't found the problem. I am just curious to what all you think the problem might be. I'll also be testing at least on other adapter so I post up those results when I get them.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gaara_Of_the_Sand's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a AC Muliti Adapter that has the plug and output to match the CDX exactly. I used it before I got my official psu. Its for sale for 15$ if anyone wants it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google Sega Parts, its part of Older Games or some website, the last time I looked you could still order the official CDX power supply for around $20.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

They sell for $50+ on Ebay. If you just wanna play it, look for a 3rd party supply; someone will give you a good suggestion if Gaara's doesn't pan out. Don't use the Genesis model 2 supply! It'll work, but it ain't right, and you're asking for trouble. Be careful here, unless you like repairing expensive consoles.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I've made sure that the adapter is the right polarity and again tested both power supplies for output but still haven't found the problem. I am just curious to what all you think the problem might be. I'll also be testing at least on other adapter so I post up those results when I get them.
    It sounds like it's underpowered. I got a Genesis model 1 off craigslist that came with a universal power supply, when I set it to 9V like the system says it needs the picture looks bad and there's a buzzing sound. When I set the adapter to 12V everything works fine. Honestly I'd like to know if the legit adapters actually output the same as their rating, it would be great if someone could test them to make sure the output listed is accurate.

Can't you use 12V? If there's a voltage regulator it should be able to handle it without damage as it's only slightly higher than the rating. You probably shouldn't test it to find out though, I don't want to be responsible for causing any damage to your system. Maybe someone else here with more knowledge can confirm this first.