Thread: -----

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default -----

Last edited by Jive3D; 01-20-2024 at 11:48 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Portal 1 and 2 may be my favorite games. They are only technically in the FPS category, though. When it comes down to it, they are puzzle games. Half-life is a FPS through and through, and any puzzles are pretty straightforward and barely qualify as a puzzle. I'd say the only things similar are the controls/perspective, non-talking protagonist, and some of the humor you can overhear from gaurds/troops/etc.

I think it would be pretty cool to play a full on FPS with portals added, but it might just be too crazy.

I guess I didn't really answer your question, and I can't, as I've only played the PC version. If you have some patience, Steam has sales all the time, so maybe you could pick up Half-Life on the cheap sometime.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 09-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't the version on Steam now the Source version? Definitely that one.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 07-04-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me be the first to say that IMO, Half Life is definitely worthy of your time. While it may not be all that similar to Portal, it was no less revolutionary in its time. So many games since have used a lot of the same ideas that Half Life invented or perfected, so it may not seem quite so revolutionary anymore, but viewed in the proper context it is amazing.

Aside from its importance in the history of FPS's, it is still a great GAME as well. It has a reasonably entertaining story including some interesting twists, and provides a good challenge, especially when you start fighting the human enemies. It does have graphics that are now dated, and as I mentioned, most of its best tricks have been seen in other games that followed, but I still find the game to be quite compelling and I go back to it at least once a year or so.

As far as the version to go with, I'd say skip the Dreamcast version. It wasn't optimized since it was unreleased so the load times are long, as are the VMU access times for saving and loading. I have the PS2 version and it seems to be a good version and I hear it's compatible with a USB keyboard and mouse though I haven't actually tried it. Of course you can't lose with the PC version, but if you don't want to spend any more money then play the PS2 version (or play it long enough to decide if you want to spend the money for the PC version).

Of course, once you complete HL1 it's time to move on to HL2 which I love even more than the first!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 07-04-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The source version on Steam is the best version to play. Until we get the Black Mesa Mod, which is Half Life redone in the Half Life 2 engine http://blackmesasource.com/ then the source is the best enhanced version of the game.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd actually suggest jumping right into Half-Life 2. There are kernels of goodness here and there in the original, but there are also points where the game tends to drag and meander. With the second one I think they really nailed the pacing in terms of both gameplay and narrative.

In other words, you're more likely to find more of the general qualities that you loved about the Portal games in HL2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Avoid the Dreamcast version. It doesn't support customizable controls and thus handles very poorly. I haven't played my PS2 version yet but I doubt it plays as badly as my DC version does.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

The only advantage that I am aware of in the PS2 version is the Decay Campaign which is a short two player mode designed with cooperation in mind. I am not sure if it was on any other console version of the game but it never had an official PC release. (although I do think it was unofficially ported over a few years ago) Outside of that PC is definitely the platform to play Half-Life on.

If your just looking to play Half-Life 1 then pick up this pack:
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/40/?snr=1_5_9__403

If you want the whole Half-Life story thus far pick up this pack:
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/715/?snr=1_5_9__403

The only difference with half-life source and original is a slight graphical upgrade. This version of the game contains no new textures or models but general just cleans up the lighting and certain effects in the game so take that for what you will.

You have to understand going into this that Half-Life is very much a traditional FPS type game and compared to today's standards is really quite long. If you aren't interested in that kind of gameplay then it might not be for you, however for 15 bucks you can get the original games and for 40 you can get the entire Half-Life story so unless money is an issue just go for it.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    The only difference with half-life source and original is a slight graphical upgrade. This version of the game contains no new textures or models but general just cleans up the lighting and certain effects in the game so take that for what you will.
    ... Not quite. The physics are somewhat different between the original and the Source version. Moving boxes around feels different, too.

I would go for the original version since it's usually sold for cheap with its expansions, plus you'll have access to hundreds of mods. HL:Source doesn't have nearly as many as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Avoid the Dreamcast version. It doesn't support customizable controls and thus handles very poorly. I haven't played my PS2 version yet but I doubt it plays as badly as my DC version does.
    Oh boy, I own the PS2 version and nothing pissed me off more than spending half an hour trying to get to the end of a level only to be killed and have to start over again. Avoid the PS2 version. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Oh boy, I own the PS2 version and nothing pissed me off more than spending half an hour trying to get to the end of a level only to be killed and have to start over again. Avoid the PS2 version. Please.
    Then it's official. Get the pc version. You will get extra content and be able to enjoy customizable controls. The DC versions controls are so bad that I didn't even get pass the training part. Moving from point A to point B felt more like moving from A to B, C, D, E, F and G.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

What exactly are the differences between HL and HL:Source? I have the non-source version and its expansions twice over and honestly I love it.

I've been avoiding HL2 though entirely because of Steam. I don't have DSL so I can't play anything that requires me to be online 24 hours a day just to play it, and even if I could do that, I wouldn't.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

IIRC, Portal is free on Steam right now.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd really like to try the PS2 version some time, since it apparently has keyboard and mouse support.

I tried playing through the Dreamcast game, but as soon as the soldiers showed up, it just became impossible.

I love Half-life, but any time someone refers to it as 'the thinking man's shooter' I throw up a little. It's a quality FPS, but it's no Deus Ex or System Shock.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

What exactly are the differences between HL and HL:Source? I have the non-source version and its expansions twice over and honestly I love it.

I've been avoiding HL2 though entirely because of Steam. I don't have DSL so I can't play anything that requires me to be online 24 hours a day just to play it, and even if I could do that, I wouldn't.
    ... you don't have to be online 24 hours a day. All you do is log in, activate offline mode, then go offline.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic