Thread: Thoughts on the New 52?

Default Thoughts on the New 52?

Anyone else buy any of the new 52 titles from DC? I just picked up the new Animal Man by Jeff Lemure and it's absolutely GREAT! I'm hearing quite good things about several of the other titles as well....apparently more readers than speculators are buying them and they're selling out! I'm getting the new Men At War one (updated Sgt. Rock) and I may try Batman and Superman as well...not sure what else!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic

Batman is awesome, Dead man was pretty good too. Havnt read any others yet.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar

Not really digging the relaunch/reboot/rebirth/rewhatever so far.

This isn't my first rodeo either. I was around in 85/86 after COIE turned everything upside down. Now that they've turned everything outside in and downside up for this gimmick, I feel like I have even less relevance to the product than I may have had at any time up till now.

Unfortunately, it shows in my purchases, or lack thereof. I ended up picking up more books than I had originally set out to, mostly because I was familiar with the talent on said books, but even those have failed to light a fire under my seat. I still have a small stack of books from the first full week that I haven't gotten around to yet and I have no real urge to devote any time to reading them.

A part of me is happy that this is generating interest in DC and the characters but at the same time, there's a part of me that wants this gimmick to fail in the worst way possible. I mean, I want it to flame out so horribly that not only Didio gets gutted like a fish but a few people up the ladder in the Warner Bros. food chain as well.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Most of the books are flat out selling out. A lot of stuff is in it's 4th and 5th printings! I was talking to a store the other day that said they MISSED the 4th printing of Detective Comics #1....book has been out less than a month!

That being said...I picked up a few more today (while I was grabbing some other back issues). Superman #1 - Meh. It was ok...but that's about it. Same goes for Fury of Firestorm #1. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't worth grabbing a second issue. The only one I have left to read is Deadman #1.

They sold out of The Dark Knight #1 the first day at the place I went! I've found a Batman #1 and am picking it up Friday but I can't find Detective anywhere. I guess the Batman titles are some of the best. Only others I want to try are Flash, Men of War, and Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Xbox LIVE
    jodyshatherself

I just started getting into comics with the New 52.
    So far my absolute favorite New 52 titles are:
    Aquaman
    Swamp Thing
    Batman
    Nightwing

I also really like:
    All Star Western
    Detective Comics
    Justice League
    Men of War
    Green Lantern
    Animal Man

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Having most of the stories I've read for the past ten years retconned does not sit well with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)

i found the relaunch unnecessary and a bad attempt at fixing evident problems such as character overlaps etc. i've lost hope in most commercial dc titles though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) drthielegood's Avatar
    Xbox LIVE
    drthielegood

I have had several new 52 books on my pull list for the last few months. The highlights for me have been Swamp Thing and Frankenstein. I hae several others but those two have been my personal favorites.

Bob

I had pretty much written off DC once news of this continuity reboot came about, so I never really looked at the list of titles being put out. But I just found out about the new Dial H for Hero and am suddenly interested. I loved that series and it's slight reboot years ago. Is it any good?

Default 52 comic

It is pretty cool. I have just read about it.
    Love to read books such as Comic,Novels & Comic books stories.

Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I absolutely adore All-Star Western and I hope the sales are sufficient to keep it afloat. I also enjoy Green Lantern but that may not really count since GL's continuity transferred over largely unscathed. The Superman titles (including Supergirl) are also okay, especially Action Comics taking the prolonged "Year One" approach.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

WHAT DID THEY DO TO BLUE BEETLE

WHY DID THEY TAKE AWAY EVERYTHING THAT MADE THAT BOOK SO GOOD.

Fucking nineties obsessed editors!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I've only really read a few of the batmans but have enjoyed them. Sure has been good for sales thats for sure

Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Batwoman and Animal Man are the only series I have stuck with, and they've both been pretty awesome. I also hear Stormwatch has been fantastic, but my budget only goes so far.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

I have never been a big DC fan, I find most of their characters uninteresting, however I used the New 52 as a jumping on point for a few characters that interested me. I've been buying Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, Batwoman, and Aquaman.

With the exception of a very slow start in Swamp Thing and a recent decline in storytelling in Batwoman, I have really enjoyed them all.

Wonder Woman is epic. I know so little about Diana (apart from the TV show, ahem), that I find all of the Pantheon stuff interesting and I feel the story is huge and wide open.

I was a fan of the Alan Moore Swamp Thing, so I was hoping for more of that, but instead it has been a very slow story with some intrigue, but overall not much meat. I am sticking with it for now in hopes that it will ramp up soon.

Aquaman is awesome! It feels the most like the comics I grew up on. It is smartly written and action packed. Again, I know nothing about Aquaman that wasn't lampooned in the first issue.

Batwoman was awesome when it started. A nice crime book, not overly bogged down in the trappings of the Batman universe. It has an interesting cast of characters and a major plot moving in the background of the immediate plot. But for the last several issues, they have reverted to a confusing, non-linear, story telling device that works well in a single issue or two, but not over the course of several issues/months. So I really have no idea what is going on right now, and will need to re-read the last few issues to get a hint of the actual story.

That said, I am reading DC comics now where I have not in the past, so I guess it is working.
    SO not the Drama.