Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overrated games this gen

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Overrated games this gen

Now, as overrated, I don't mean Halo Reach, Call of Duty Black Ops, World of Warcraft, etc, etc, because while the games are popular, the games actually have great gameplay for their respective genres. When I say overrated, something that receives endless praise, but then you go out and purchase the game only to be rewarded with one of the biggest shitfests you've played.

This is obviously only each persons opinion, but there are a lot of games that get insane amounts of praise yet suck total ass.

Final Fantasy 13. This game needs no introduction, but oddly enough, it's loved as much as it's hated. For how bad it is, I just don't get it.

Fallout 3. My personal choice for the most overrated game this gen. The graphics are amazing, I'll admit, some of the best looking graphics this generation mind you, but damn if it's not one of the most boring games I've ever played. Huge explorable world, but every location looks the same. You pick up the same weapons repeatedly, and although you can create your own weapons, you'll have a few weapons that are slightly different yet practically the same? Combat you're either playing it as an extremely lackluster FPS or a lackluster RPG, your choice, and as an RPG you have practically no versatility other than weapon strengths. The beginning of the game was fine, but my overall opinion, and this is after playing 30 hours, is how the fuck did this get perfect scores all across the board and have so much praise? Oblivion and Morrowind on the other hand are enjoyable due to variety in gameplay. More than likely, Skyrim will be as well.

God of War 3. Being almost exactly like the first two this is a given. Being pro Sony you'd expect this game to be one of my favored, but it's one of the worst stylish action games I've ever played. The puzzles bring the game to a grinding halt due to the fact that some of them are some cryptic bullshit that it's right under your nose but it's the last thing you'd ever expect. The combat is extremely repetitive and there's less variety to your skills than most games, if not all, in this genre. The story, which oddly enough was praised for being so amazing, was.... really not there at all, and fucking terrible mind you. Dante's Inferno was an amazing game that was bashed by reviews and gamers alike, yet shit like this gets praised to no end. Even X Men Origins Wolverine, with how repetitive it is has more variety and is much more fun than God of War 3.

And why I even started this thread. Dead Rising 2 Off the Record. I bought this game due to how much praise it received and while I didn't watch too many videos, I wanted free roam zombie game. Nearly every weapon has a different look but is practically the same. Take the skateboard and the tricycle. If you were given some Tony Hawk gameplay when using the skateboard, that'd be a whole different story, but R2 to go forward, no tricks to be done, it's nothing more than the tricycle which is R2 to go forward. There's really no variety to the gameplay, even with many of the custom created weapons. It's like. Ooo wow, this [insert random item being used on zombie] looks awesome, but then once you see it once, the novelty of it wears off. While it's not as monotonous and boring as Fallout 3 for sure, and definitely not nearly as overrated, it's still a pretty crappy game that is overall highly rated. Atleast Dead Rising 2 was highly rated, and this is pretty much the same game with some minor differences, one being that you're now playing as Frank West.

If such shitty games didn't get reviewed and plastered with unrealistic scores, and then purchased by the fanbase who immediately praises the game because they don't want to feel butthurt that they spent $60 on a game that sucks total ass only for the rest of the fanbase to do the same, then developers wouldn't continue developing such garbage. Maybe they would, but maybe there would be less AAA titles that were total bullshit if people would just tell the developers the truth. Hey [random developer,] your game sucks ass and we don't like it. Everyone now days is afraid to give an honest opinion as the opinion might be rejected by others so they do nothing other than follow the crowd like sheep to be accepted. Stop being pussies and form your own opinions.

*edit*

Obviously this is a rant and a post won't change anything, but after wasting my money on another shitty game, there are quite a lot of them this gen I'll say, I just felt the need to say something.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I really do prefer the original Fallout games to Fallout 3, I agree that it was empty, and man, was it glitchy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Black Ops by far

I don't really have a problem with Modern Warfare. But the Treyarch games are total cash cows that don't deserve any of the acclaim they've gotten. The erratic spawning system, the knife range, maps have too many hiding spots, maps are designed in a no-skill circular flow, extremely low skill ceiling, too easy to get kill streaks, sniping is basically useless, none of the multiplayer character models are black, zombies is a cash cow within a cash cow due to horrifically overpriced DLC. I could probably think of more if I tried but that was off the top of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm coming in here to defend Fallout 3.

Fallout 3, to me, is the best game of the last 6 or 7 years. I'm not saying that lightly, because I have a ton of respect for games like Bioshock and Uncharted, and other great games of this current cycle. Still, to me, Fallout 3 takes the cake.

Does Fallout 3 have it's share of problems? Absolutely. It's glitchy as fuck, and the character models are pretty horrible, and the voice acting seems to repeat quite a bit. The graphics in some ways are amazing, and in other ways are really crappy. The sound is both good and bad, and the inventory system, and having to deal with how heavy items are, etc, etc, can be a pain in the arse.

Having said all of that, there is no other game that has me feeling like I have truly stepped inside a living and breathing world. Part of the allure for me, is the fact that I like movies and stories about a post apocalyptic wasteland. There is an old movie from the 70's called "A Boy and his Dog", and Fallout 3 reminded me of that movie a bit. When I saw "The Book of Eli", I said to myself, "They basically ripped off Fallout 3 with this movie". So, I'm a big fan of the setting of the game. I don't mind a game that has a bunch of exploration, without exciting things constantly happening. To me, games like Call of Duty with their non-stop action don't really do it for me. I like action, but there has to be peaks and valleys. There has to be quiet moments and intense moments. To me, Fallout 3 provides the perfect mix of both.

The bottom line is that I keep going back to the fact that Fallout 3 for me is like actually going inside a movie like "A Boy and his Dog" or "Book Of Eli", and living and adventuring within that world. Yes, I wish it wasn't as glitchy, and I wish it had much better character models, but overall I feel blessed to have a game that is so deep and so engrossing. I know it isn't everybodies cup of tea, but I could pretty much play games like Fallout 3 forever and be perfectly satisfied.
    Last edited by WCP; 10-22-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Count me in the Fallout 3 defender camp. I love that game.

I'll agree with God of War 3 for sure, though.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Eh, a game is only as overrated at the opinion of the user.

I disagree with the detractors to Fallout 3, Black Ops, and Final Fantasy 13. I didn't feel like those games was overrated or that they bad. I have played them all for many many hours now and have gotten way more then 60 dollars of entertainment out of each.

There is not much else to say. If you don't like a game then fine but that doesn't make it overrated just because you had problems with it.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Wii Fit
    I'm not fat. Honestly!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I'll quite happily defend Fallout 3. One of the absolute best games of the last decade, right there.

As for most overrated... pretty much any post-Half Life 2 console FPSes bar Bioshock and anything else by Valve. Into which I'll happily lump the entire CoD, Battlefield and 7th-gen Halo series. I really don't know how many more military shooters we need before the whole of XBL and PSN collapses into one heaving mass of twatwittery.

I'm also not massively keen on the Uncharted games either. I mean, okay, I like them, they're good, but people seem to be behaving like Nathan Drake is the second coming or something. Sorry dudes, I don't get it.

Oh, and Red Dead Redemption. Which is a step back from GTA4. Which was itself a step back from San Andreas. And yet, the people hailing RDR as the best game ever are those who said San Andreas was itself a step back from Vice City...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is amazing how different things appeal to different people. It seemed the masses love portal but some are like meh. I often think of the underrated games. I figure if there is an overated game I don't like it is just not for me and my style. I have never understood the whole gran turismo thing.

I thought Tomb raider underworld was an underrated game. The sense of death around every corner be it suspended up high etc. came through the controller.
    neo geo system

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Halo: Reach has good gameplay? Since when? The multiplayer especially is just complete junk. The only thing that redeems the game is Rocket Race, everything else is a waste of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Negativity, negativity, negativity.

The whole concept of "overrated" is so pissy/pouty. If you don't like a game...fine, but the idea that a popular game is actually bad and only you "get it" is so...how do I put this...teenage-drama-queen. I've used the term in the past too, but with age comes wisdom. No game is overrated. There's just games that I like and games that I don't like.

Fallout 3 rocked BTW and Vegas was even better.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Even X Men Origins Wolverine, with how repetitive it is has more variety and is much more fun than God of War 3.
    I... agree with kupo?!

MELTING

I'M MELTING

WHAT A WORLD, WHAT A WORLD

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Geez, so much hate for God of War 3! Even though it wasn't as great as part two, it was still a great game. I won't say any specific FPS is overrrated since I just dislike the whole FPS genre. I will agree with FF13 and Uncharted as being a bit overrated though...
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Halo Reach was in my own opinion a great game. Single Player and Multiplayer still played in my house...

Now Halo 3...what a piece of junk. After sinking about 1000 hours of multiplayer in Halo 2, I could not stand the hit detection online of the game. It was a major disappointment and was pissed off about how much hype the game got and what it actually offered.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

The whole concept of "overrated" is so pissy/pouty. If you don't like a game...fine, but the idea that a popular game is actually bad and only you "get it" is so...how do I put this...teenage-drama-queen. I've used the term in the past too, but with age comes wisdom. No game is overrated. There's just games that I like and games that I don't like.
    "Overrated" doesn't require the game to be popular. Overrated doesn't mean "bad" either. It just means given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit. It has nothing to do with subjective taste or fun factor or whatever.

I really don't see how calling a heavily flawed game that received critical acclaim is "pissy" in any way. Shitting on someone for saying they like a game is not the same thing as saying a game shouldn't be called "the best game of the year" by most of the major gaming review sites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I personally found Dragon Age: Origins a bit overrated. I tried it earlier this year, but it really failed to draw me in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Kupo, agree with your list except for FALLOUT 3, I don't think you understood the core game ...

Fallout 3 is one of the few RPGs that your decisions are really yours. You HAVE choices and you practice them since the beginning until the end of the game. You can pretty much avoid killing dozens of creatures with your SPEECH and SNEAK skills ...

You can have a very bad karma and steal weapons, caps, stimpaks ... or choose for a more scientific aproach to violencia developing your LOCKPICK/SCIENCE skills to take advantage of the doors that are unlockable with [LOCKPICK] 100 ... you can hack terminals to get help from turrets, unlock doors, terminate creatures ... etc

The game is a bit flat in its locations, but there are surprises and a sense of freedom that few games have.

About FFXIII .... I still don't understand how any person that has played at least ONE rpg can love it. The game has a 20 hour tutorial and is quite simple to play, just a matter of learning when to change your paradigm with the enemy in turn ... and THAT'S IT !. Limited in all senses .... I expected too much from this game.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

GTA4 and DNF.
    Don't even need to explain, both hyped, both garbage, funny story though:
    After i burned 50Eur with GTA4 i started downloading again if i was unsure, that's why i saved myself the 50eur for DNF. Needles to say, even for free was to expensive for it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

You ever hear that tale of the Emperor's new clothes?

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

borderlands, i dont get the hype behind this game at all, this shit is boring as fuck, its like a stylized verson of rage, just sits there and looks pretty but the entire game world feels lifeless (maybe not as much as rage) all the "quests" if you can even call them that are essentially the same thing over and over again

maybe my score would change if i had played with 3 other real life friends instead of just by myself or with random 12 year old white redneck kids, but this game is a piece of shit to me and my score is not going to change lol, fuck you borderlands

edit: OMG, i just remembered the king of all overrated games, GTA4, good god is that game garbage, from a technical standpoint, yes its a masterpiece, it had basically everything you could ever ask for in a gta game...everything but FUN (and enjoyable music )

gta4 got so caught up in trying to be real it forgot its roots, the story isnt all that engaging, the sense of exploration is underwhelming, and the hype around that game was totally undeserved, only a handful of weapons, missions were even more repetive than games prior, music as stated before was garbage all across the board, every station had maybe 1 or 2 songs that were good, story had no sense of humor, i could go on and on, gay tony at least took a step in the right direction, but by then it was too little too late

double edit: assassins creed series's entire existance is overrated
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 10-22-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."